IGNORED

England can/can England win the World Cup?

South stander

You can scab (Greece) or fluke (Denmark) a win in the Euros, but not in the World Cup. For 50 years, if you are not Brasil, Germany or Italy, you need a Maradona, a Zidane, or an Iniesta to break up the Big 3's dominance of the WC. Or a military junta very keen on a home win.

can we? Yes. Will we? God no. England qualify for a World Cup.... whoopee doo. A more realistic query may be will we get to the last 8? I have serious doubts, but I'll take a butch at the draw and possible routes before betting on that 'un. We aren't that good. Really. No idea why some fans havesuch an over inflated opinion of our national team

A half that showed no team finds it easy against a well organised defence, which in fairness we have been. 0-0 at half time, but Brazil so much the better side really. Ref seems a little over fussy with any contact, England with a little more possession last ten,  but second best by some distance for me.

Positives:

Gomez outstanding, carried on the good work from the Germany game, and was rightfully MOM for us. Stones also good. Lingard always seems to add a spark going forward when coming on, brightens things up. Ashley Young still the best crosser of the ball in English football.

Negatives:

Dier...lived down to his name. A dithering, ponderous performance. Terrible first touch and slow decision making led to him being robbed of possession in the middle of the park several times leading to swift and dangerous counter-attacks after the turnover. Also not terribly impressed by Vardy, didn't really get into the game.

Gomez looks the business. Now England need a world class holding midfielder. Then we might challenge. Lewis cook could be the man. He is too young for 2018 but would be ready for 2020 if he doesn't get injured. 

No disrespect to dyer and Livermore, both good players. but no ones winning a World Cup with those 2. Dyer maybe if he's on top form.  

Archived