IGNORED

Sound of the City for Senior citizens, for one episode only.

Never to the dark side

Listening to it as I do most Monday's.

Pretty good. Fascinating for a younger listener like myself to learn about it.

In particular so far, 1954-55 Third Division South title. Mentioned how records tumbled..bit like 2014-15.

Second interesting similarity was the fact that season had a long early unbeaten run and a lengthy second one... Much like a few years ago.

Thirdly it ended in 4-5...54-55 and 14-15.

Fourthly, Chelsea won the title that year.

I know things were highly different then too but that set of similarities is pretty uncanny.

On 11/13/2017 at 08:44, WhistleHappy said:

I'm all set NTTDS...  postadsuk.com-3-1960s-grundig-reel-to-reel-tape-recorder-derbyshire.JPG 1950s-Vintage-Bush-Radio-VHF62-AM-FM-LW-_57.jpg

..... I hope this is worth it mind, cos I can't find any blank tapes and I'm gonna have to record over The Navy Lark, The Clitheroe Kid and Billy Cottons Showband ... :farmer:

(PS.. radio cassette recorder? :dunno:  wots one of them then? ) 

Please tell me you haven't taped over Parade Of The Pops with Bob Miller & the Millermen with Vince Hill & the Raindrops ! :grr:

Best Sound of the City so far in my view. The interviews from 1955 when we won Div 3 South were really interesting, probably because I’ve never heard anything like that from that era before. Also makes you realise how little things have changed really: ‘Football is a business’ was even acknowledged by HD back then - this is not a new post Premier League phenomena - but he also said it was ‘good fun’. You get the sense that SL would have the same view - business but fun too. HD also had the sense to increase non match ticket revenue (via the bowls under the Dolman Stand) - same now. The main reason we were promoted as champions was team spirit (although this wasn’t due to a pre-season tour of Botswana!). I recommend a listen on iplayer.

6 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Redifusion box

What a wonderful thing they were

1)BBC1

2)BBC2

3)ITV west

4) ITV central great if you were a footy fan with goals round up at 5pm ish on saturday afternoon

and radio Bristol and yoiu could listen with out needing to switch the TV

and  in crystal clear MONO

Yep. One of the first kids in the area to get TISWAS through Central or Midlands. Also we had radios throughout the house which had both TV and radio sound. 

On 14/11/2017 at 12:39, slartibartfast said:

Please tell me you haven't taped over Parade Of The Pops with Bob Miller & the Millermen with Vince Hill & the Raindrops ! :grr:

'Parade of The Pops' - come on Slarti, you never listened on the radio, rather went to Woolies and bought the LPs like the rest of us. Reckon there's still a pile of 'well thumbed' sleeves under your bed.....

On 13/11/2017 at 08:44, WhistleHappy said:

I'm all set NTTDS...  postadsuk.com-3-1960s-grundig-reel-to-reel-tape-recorder-derbyshire.JPG 1950s-Vintage-Bush-Radio-VHF62-AM-FM-LW-_57.jpg

..... I hope this is worth it mind, cos I can't find any blank tapes and I'm gonna have to record over The Navy Lark, The Clitheroe Kid and Billy Cottons Showband ... :farmer:

(PS.. radio cassette recorder? :dunno:  wots one of them then? ) 

Kids, get two of these, get them synched up to make 8 tracks (wow)... and go and record Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. It can be done !

I went to the book signing tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it. Quite a few city’s players from Harry’s time and an excellent Q&A session with Adam Baker. Harry was clearly the Steve Lansdown of his era, interesting to learn Harry predicted automated turnstiles, artificial pitches and all seater stadium what before they happened. 

8 hours ago, cheesleywalksoncider said:

I went to the book signing tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it. Quite a few city’s players from Harry’s time and an excellent Q&A session with Adam Baker. Harry was clearly the Steve Lansdown of his era, interesting to learn Harry predicted automated turnstiles, artificial pitches and all seater stadium what before they happened. 

Good evening wasn’t it mate, thoroughly enjoyable and good to learn more about Harry. Nice to see Lee, Gary and a number of ex players from back in the in attendance 

On 15/11/2017 at 22:38, cheesleywalksoncider said:

I really hope it was recorded/filmed @adambaker

Archived