IGNORED

Anglo Italian Cup 1992-93

spyder66

• Admin
59 minutes ago, spyder66 said:

Did anyone on this list attend either of the Anglo Italian Cup away matches against Pisa or Cremonese on 24/11 and 16/12 in the 1992-93 season?

I'm trying to find out if a matchday programme was issued for either of these games.

@spyder66 may be worth contacting the person on this thread

I liked that tournament. Championship, Serie B, Ligue 2, Bundesliga 2, the Spanish thingy at level 2 with a guest appearance from Ostersunds... although they might win it so second thoughts no. But a 2nd tier tournament across Europe is a good ideal. You just need good sponsors with a decent pay out to cover costs.

Went to the Cremonese game. Didn't see a programme because (i) it was very foggy and (ii) I don't buy them. But would be amazed if one was produced - the game was played on a midweek afternoon and there were probably no more than a couple of hundred people there. A very low key affair. If one was produced, it was likely to have been no more than a sheet of paper with the line ups on it.

15 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Went to the Cremonese game. Didn't see a programme because (i) it was very foggy and (ii) I don't buy them. But would be amazed if one was produced - the game was played on a midweek afternoon and there were probably no more than a couple of hundred people there. A very low key affair. If one was produced, it was likely to have been no more than a sheet of paper with the line ups on it.

Wasn't there a massive scrap in the Cremonese game? On the pitch, I'm talking about? Whenever I flick through the score apps and see their name I always seem to remember it all kicking off?

3 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Wasn't there a massive scrap in the Cremonese game? On the pitch, I'm talking about? Whenever I flick through the score apps and see their name I always seem to remember it all kicking off?

Didn't we have 2 or 3 sent off? Might be that game.

Thanks for all the replies.  I can now cross those, and the Latvia ones off my wants list!

14 years earlier on 17/10/78 City played away against Vojvodina for the International Fayre Cup.  Anyone know if a matchday programmes exists for this game?

I went to one of the two home games. We lost, but the only thing I remember about the game was seing a single fan in the otherwise closed Dolman. No idea what he was doing in there but when an Italian player got booked, we clearly heard this one bloke shout "OI, **** OFF LUUUIIIIIIGIII

!". You had to be there I guess but the whole ground was in hysterics.

31 minutes ago, spyder66 said:

Thanks for all the replies.  I can now cross those, and the Latvia ones off my wants list!

14 years earlier on 17/10/78 City played away against Vojvodina for the International Fayre Cup.  Anyone know if a matchday programmes exists for this game?

Looking at the home matchday programme on 28/10/78 against Arsenal, Peter Godsiff wrote a bit about this game in his column.  Looks like the match was arranged by Alan Dicks as he was evaluating a Yugoslavian player called Slobodan Antic, who played for City in this match.  He was taken off after an hour as he was due to play a club match the following day.  He was at the time captain of Yugoslavian club Radnicki Nis.  Prior to this City played an away friendly at Plymouth Argyle on 10/10, in which Antic made his first appearance in a City shirt. He also scored the first goal in this match in which City won 3-0.  I guess City never signed him in the end.

35 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

No, that was in one of the 2 games at home.

I was also at Cremonese (with Merrick's Marvels) there were only about 8 City fans in total & definitely no programme.

I wrote an article about it a few Bountyhunters ago, now if I could just find that Gazetta Dello Sport with the match report on it..

1 hour ago, Chessels Chick said:

I went to Pisa match!. Didn't get programme and not sure if they had any but did acquire a poster from the wall of a local hostelry!!

IMG_20171114_143734.jpg

Brilliant. Reminds me of the Cuban Cinema posters I have from the 1950's and 60's.

I found this on ebay btw; ended now but it proves that match day programs were printed at least for the home ties of the Anglo Italian Cup; this one against Reggiana..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-93-Bristol-City-v-Reggiana-Anglo-Italian-Cup-PERFECT-CONDITION-/132285047127?hash=item1ecccda157

13 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Brilliant. Reminds me of the Cuban Cinema posters I have from the 1950's and 60's.

I found this on ebay btw; ended now but it proves that match day programs were printed at least for the home ties of the Anglo Italian Cup; this one against Reggiana..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-93-Bristol-City-v-Reggiana-Anglo-Italian-Cup-PERFECT-CONDITION-/132285047127?hash=item1ecccda157

Yes, I have all of the home programmes, as well as the aways against Luton Town 1992-93 and Portsmouth 1993-94.

Thought we were furnished with a printed team sheet at Pisa. By coincidence i went looking in the loft the other day looking for my old tickets and paper cuttings but couldn't find them. Will have another go sometime.

Over 20 hours on a coach and a dodgy 4-3 loss, though their fourth was from a free kick inside the area when the goalkeeper picked the ball up supposedly from a pass back if i remember correctly.....

Great time though.

3 hours ago, spyder66 said:

Did anyone on this list attend either of the Anglo Italian Cup away matches against Pisa or Cremonese on 24/11 and 16/12 in the 1992-93 season?

I'm trying to find out if a matchday programme was issued for either of these games.

I know a load who went over, sadly after listening to all the stories I fear no programmes survived the ordeal!

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

No, that was in one of the 2 games at home.

I was also at Cremonese (with Merrick's Marvels) there were only about 8 City fans in total & definitely no programme.

I wrote an article about it a few Bountyhunters ago, now if I could just find that Gazetta Dello Sport with the match report on it..

I think if there had been a programme we would have set fire to it in an attempt to keep warm. Italy cold in December? Who knew!

Archived