IGNORED

Anglo Italian Cup 1992-93

spyder66

3 minutes ago, Chessels Chick said:

And here is team photo from the match ...name that team!! (I can do all of them except two - one will annoy me as should know it, the other I've no idea!)

IMG_20171114_174239.jpg

The team lineup I have is Welch, Harrison, Scott, Thompson, Bryant, Mellon, Shelton, Dziekanowski, Allison, Cole, Edwards - Subs: Bent and Rouse - Scorers: Scott, Shelton and Edwards.

5 minutes ago, spyder66 said:

The team lineup I have is Welch, Harrison, Scott, Thompson, Bryant, Mellon, Shelton, Dziekanowski, Allison, Cole, Edwards - Subs: Bent and Rouse - Scorers: Scott, Shelton and Edwards.

Gerry Harrison is the one that was bugging me! Thanks :clapping:And Thompson the one I didn't recognise at all :blink:

44 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I think if there had been a programme we would have set fire to it in an attempt to keep warm. Italy cold in December? Who knew!

Big lesson learned, I think I ended up walking round Milan in every bit of clothing I had brought with me..

Just remembered that B&B in Milan where the owners question to us about whether we wanted the single beds pushed together was met with a very firm "no".

Nearest either of us have come to a Civil Partnership..

I went to Pisa on the CATs coach,bloody long way on a coach,hotel wouldn't serve alcohol to any one from the coach and the hotel was a fair way from the centre of town,I remember there was a strike of tobacco workers and we couldnt buy fags anywhere.Gary Shelton came into our coach before we left the stadium to thank us for our support.

Two great memories of Pisa:

The day before the match Dennis Smith had a long chat with City fans who'd arrived early and handed out his team and training notes after City had looked around the stadium and tested the playing surface ( top bloke;)

Italian fan shaking my hand at half time with his very elderly father in floods of tears - translation being in his father's aeons of watching Pisa he'd never seen such a magnificent attacking half of football (we were 4-2 down.)

58 minutes ago, One Dickie Rooks said:

I went to Pisa on the CATs coach,bloody long way on a coach,hotel wouldn't serve alcohol to any one from the coach and the hotel was a fair way from the centre of town,I remember there was a strike of tobacco workers and we couldnt buy fags anywhere.Gary Shelton came into our coach before we left the stadium to thank us for our support.

We found a bar in a village about half mile away from hotel. First night the owner stayed open late. Probably never served so much beer. Seemed long walk back in the darkness to hotel though. Beer came in whatever size glass they wanted to serve it in. If it was your round you grabbed the biggest :)

3 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Went to the Cremonese game. Didn't see a programme because (i) it was very foggy and (ii) I don't buy them. But would be amazed if one was produced - the game was played on a midweek afternoon and there were probably no more than a couple of hundred people there. A very low key affair. If one was produced, it was likely to have been no more than a sheet of paper with the line ups on it.

In the Anglo Italian Cup City would play two Italian clubs at home and another pair away. The first three of these games were defeats and the fourth was drawn. This was at Cremenese on a wet windswept midweek afternoon. Despite a contingent going from Bristol, the attendance was a mere 535 spectators! Cremenese went on to win the competition and brought over 1,000 fans to England for the final.

5 hours ago, havanatopia said:

I liked that tournament. Championship, Serie B, Ligue 2, Bundesliga 2, the Spanish thingy at level 2 with a guest appearance from Ostersunds... although they might win it so second thoughts no. But a 2nd tier tournament across Europe is a good ideal. You just need good sponsors with a decent pay out to cover costs.

Earlier in 1992 Steve Bull of Wolves had partnered City's Dziekanowski in attack for a second division select team against their Italian counterparts.

5 minutes ago, 22A said:

In the Anglo Italian Cup City would play two Italian clubs at home and another pair away. The first three of these games were defeats and the fourth was drawn. This was at Cremenese on a wet windswept midweek afternoon. Despite a contingent going from Bristol, the attendance was a mere 535 spectators! Cremenese went on to win the competition and brought over 1,000 fans to England for the final.

Don't know where that quote came from but it certainly was no "contingent", as you rightly say we had lost all three games in the competition by then and were already eliminated, so no official trip was organised, but @Merrick's Marvels and I had already booked our own flights to Milan. I counted about 8 City fans in total dotted around the ground.

It didn't rain that day either, it was incredibly foggy, when we arrived at Cremona station I was convinced that it would be called off, rumour was City wanted the game to go ahead whatever happened because they had flights already booked and didn't want the extra expense of another night in Italy. One of the main reasons that it didn't rain is because it was also absolutely bloody freezing!

3 hours ago, spyder66 said:

Thanks for all the replies.  I can now cross those, and the Latvia ones off my wants list!

14 years earlier on 17/10/78 City played away against Vojvodina for the International Fayre Cup.  Anyone know if a matchday programmes exists for this game?

Spyder I can confirm that there was a programme for the City away match in Yugoslavia v Vojvodina.

Back in those days Gerry Sweeney used to bring back programmes from the tour games. This was one of those to come back to the UK.

Unfortunately I sold my City Away programmes about 7 years ago - lack of space!!

I went to Pisa. Flew from Gatwick (not on the official cats coach that took days!)

I was amazed how many other City fans were on the flight. If I recall correctly the 'official' coach party were sat up the top of the main stand, whereas the 150 or so who'd travelled independently were situated in the corner behind the goal. 

The most amazing trip. Locals had a cigarette strike so we came over with our boxes of duty frees and were able to exchange fags for booze to the desperate bar owners.

Met a crazy German professor in one bar who was so excited by our company that he went to get his special reserve box of Cuban cigars and treated us all, passing them round the bar.

Purchased a Pisa home shirt for 3 packets of fags.

Walking to the ground pre match we'd mobbed up a little and rushed into what we thought were their 'lads' but turned out it was undercover old bill who proceeded to whack **** out of a few of us!

One chap in particular who got a hiding was Little Ronnie (RIP), who got taken to the cells downstairs, given a hiding and then let in (he came straight over to me and asked for a fag, I asked what happened to him, he said he got a good hiding but was chuffed to bits cuz he'd got in without a ticket!). 

After the game we went to a bar (probably over 50 lads). In Italy, you order your drinks and pay before you leave. Well, after a round of drinks the old bill didn't want us there so ordered us all to leave and go home. So we all left the bar without paying (on the orders of the carabinieri!). Some bright spark took us all promptly into the next bar, where we all got a beer and 10 minutes later were rounded up by the police again and left without paying. Pretty sure this happened 3 or 4 times before the old bill realised. I ended up being given a lift back to my hotel in a squad car, simply cuz they wanted us all off the streets. 

Saw all the players the day after the game as they were sightseeing. Had a good chat with Wayney Allison. 

Oh, and final bit of the story. Got shot at! Morning of the game, leaving the hotel at 10am (£10 a night right opposite the leaning tower - bargain), car screeches round the corner and we hear a shot, duck, and the window in the shop behind us goes through!! My mate had been shot at the night before as he'd left the bar to go to get more duty free fags back at the hotel. There were rumours flying around that a City lad had been shot in the park (hence us mobbing up on the way to the match and attacking their lads - who were old bill, ha ha). 

Bloody amazing trip. 

29 minutes ago, Harry said:

I went to Pisa. Flew from Gatwick (not on the official cats coach that took days!)

I was amazed how many other City fans were on the flight. If I recall correctly the 'official' coach party were sat up the top of the main stand, whereas the 150 or so who'd travelled independently were situated in the corner behind the goal. 

The most amazing trip. Locals had a cigarette strike so we came over with our boxes of duty frees and were able to exchange fags for booze to the desperate bar owners.

Met a crazy German professor in one bar who was so excited by our company that he went to get his special reserve box of Cuban cigars and treated us all, passing them round the bar.

Walking to the ground pre match we'd mobbed up a little and rushed into what we thought were their 'lads' but turned out it was undercover old bill who proceeded to whack **** out of a few of us!

One chap in particular who got a hiding was Little Ronnie (RIP), who got taken to the cells downstairs, given a hiding and then let in (he came straight over to me and asked for a fag, I asked what happened to him, he said he got a good hiding but was chuffed to bits cuz he'd got in without a ticket!). 

After the game we went to a bar (probably over 50 lads). In Italy, you order your drinks and pay before you leave. Well, after a round of drinks the old bill didn't want us there so ordered us all to leave and go home. So we all left the bar without paying (on the orders of the carabinieri!). Some bright spark took us all promptly into the next bar, where we all got a beer and 10 minutes later were rounded up by the police again and left without paying. Pretty sure this happened 3 or 4 times before the old bill realised. I ended up being given a lift back to my hotel in a squad car, simply cuz they wanted us all off the streets. 

Saw all the players the day after the game as they were sightseeing. Had a good chat with Wayney Allison. 

Oh, and final bit of the story. Got shot at! Morning of the game, leaving the hotel at 10am (£10 a night right opposite the leaning tower - bargain), car screeches round the corner and we hear a shot, duck, and the window in the shop behind us goes through!! My mate had been shot at the night before as he'd left the bar to go to get more duty free fags back at the hotel. There were rumours flying around that a City lad had been shot in the park (hence us mobbing up on the way to the match and attacking their lads - who were old bill, ha ha). 

Bloody amazing trip. 

Ronnie 

:crying:

What a great lad he was

:clapping:

3 hours ago, RedReynard said:

Over 20 hours on a coach and a dodgy 4-3 loss, though their fourth was from a free kick inside the area when the goalkeeper picked the ball up supposedly from a pass back if i remember correctly.....

Great time though.

Ref gave a backless against Rob Edwards I seem to recall, poor decision .

35 minutes ago, Harry said:

Bloody amazing trip. 

We were probably on the same flight, we stayed 5 mins from the tower in a B and B with what appeared to be camp beds. We met with a few lads the first night and they were talking about being shot at with air rifles then. Sadly we had to pay for our beer,.We wandered down to the ground on the afternoon, no one around so we popped in, took some photos including on the pitch with their life size plastic mascot. We ended up in a bar near the ground with the London branch I think.
We were there for 4 days, on the last full day it was a toss up whether to get some culture and nip down to Florence, or stay around Pisa drinking. Nice relaxed day drinking in the October (?) sun. I do remember most of the City lads in T shirts where it was so mild , and all the locals in scarves and coats.
I still like being able to say I've seen City in Europe .

27 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

Anyone know why they stopped the Anglo Italian Cup??

It was never well supported. Generally poor crowds, especially in Italy where cups have always been less popular than here. But crowds generally weren't great and costs of travelling must have been more than the gate receipts for some games. And quite a few clubs were unconvinced from the start and never really got behind it. Our Chairman at the time, Les Kew, was one of those involved in setting it up, so he was always keen for it to succeed, hence our involvement. 

I went to the Pisa game too, and als have the poster on my wall! I remember the bar owners around Pisa being a bit bewildered by all the City fans asking them to keep the posters after the game! Mrs ID came too and we made a holiday of it and took in a Serie A game too. We flew from Bristol, I think, but what I do remember well is that we ended up in the same flight as the City team. She is not a football fan usually, but didn't wash her hand for most of the week after Jacki kissed it!

30 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Was there a game at Ashton Gate between a Serie B 11 and a Division 1 11? Had too much wine tonight but swear I went to that. 

I did too. The Football League team won 3-1 but I can't find any record of who played for either side. I've probably still got the programme somewhere at my parents' house. 

1 minute ago, Northern Red said:

I did too. The Football League team won 3-1 but I can't find any record of who played for either side. I've probably still got the programme somewhere at my parents' house. 

Come to think of it I'm sure I have a programme too. Will have a dig. 

Archived