IGNORED

Anglo Italian Cup 1992-93

spyder66

3 hours ago, BBlockExile said:

Spyder I can confirm that there was a programme for the City away match in Yugoslavia v Vojvodina.

Back in those days Gerry Sweeney used to bring back programmes from the tour games. This was one of those to come back to the UK.

Unfortunately I sold my City Away programmes about 7 years ago - lack of space!!

Great, thank you, that is good to know.  I'll have to keep on searching for a copy.

11 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Wow :thumbsup:

Good knowledge !

Pleased for him - got to know him a bit and as I say , a really nice lad

Gerry Harrison another great lad - had some real talent but enjoyed a night out too !! 

Yep. Used to regularly see him and Rob Edwards in Odyssey or whatever it was called then.

16 hours ago, One Dickie Rooks said:

I went to Pisa on the CATs coach,bloody long way on a coach,hotel wouldn't serve alcohol to any one from the coach and the hotel was a fair way from the centre of town,I remember there was a strike of tobacco workers and we couldnt buy fags anywhere.Gary Shelton came into our coach before we left the stadium to thank us for our support.

So, I can love Shelts more, it seems. What a bloke

14 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Wow :thumbsup:

Good knowledge !

Pleased for him - got to know him a bit and as I say , a really nice lad

Gerry Harrison another great lad - had some real talent but enjoyed a night out too !! 

Do I remember Harrison hitting a last minute screamer to win the game vs Charlton one year? In front of the East End, I can almost hear the groan around the Gate as he pulled his right foot back.....******* nailed it!

7 hours ago, Chessels Chick said:

We went to see AC Milan v IFK Gothenburg in the Champions League the next night - they won 4-0 with Van Basten scoring all four!

Just had a look to remind myself which Serie A game we took in and (how could I forget!) it was the following Sunday, Lazio v Roma, and it was the game when Paul Gasciogne, in his first season at Lazio, scored an equalizer in the 86th minute! Complete mayhem - we were with the Lazio fans and we got bounced along in the celebrations and ended up - quite literally - about two blocks from where our seats were!!

10 hours ago, Chessels Chick said:

We went to see AC Milan v IFK Gothenburg in the Champions League the next night - they won 4-0 with Van Basten scoring all four!

Yes, I remember watching that on the smallest tv ever in a pizzeria in Pisa. Before I proceeded to get mattressed on red wine. 

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Yes, I remember watching that on the smallest tv ever in a pizzeria in Pisa. Before I proceeded to get mattressed on red wine. 

I've just had a flashback of you waking the following morning covered in vomit from drinking yourself unconscious. 

Good times!!!

On 11/14/2017 at 19:31, One Dickie Rooks said:

I went to Pisa on the CATs coach,bloody long way on a coach,hotel wouldn't serve alcohol to any one from the coach and the hotel was a fair way from the centre of town,I remember there was a strike of tobacco workers and we couldnt buy fags anywhere.Gary Shelton came into our coach before we left the stadium to thank us for our support.

On 11/14/2017 at 19:35, BTRFTG said:

Two great memories of Pisa:

The day before the match Dennis Smith had a long chat with City fans who'd arrived early and handed out his team and training notes after City had looked around the stadium and tested the playing surface ( top bloke;)

Italian fan shaking my hand at half time with his very elderly father in floods of tears - translation being in his father's aeons of watching Pisa he'd never seen such a magnificent attacking half of football (we were 4-2 down.)

What a lovely coincidence to see you two posting right after each other.

The new kid on the block followed by the prodigal son :yes:.

On 15/11/2017 at 11:19, Woodsy said:

So, I can love Shelts more, it seems. What a bloke

Do I remember Harrison hitting a last minute screamer to win the game vs Charlton one year? In front of the East End, I can almost hear the groan around the Gate as he pulled his right foot back.....******* nailed it!

You remember correctly - one of my favourite city goals of all time.

Who the bloody hell is this Thompson bloke in this line up though? I do not recognise the name or the face at all....

On 14/11/2017 at 20:03, Harry said:

I went to Pisa. Flew from Gatwick (not on the official cats coach that took days!)

I was amazed how many other City fans were on the flight. If I recall correctly the 'official' coach party were sat up the top of the main stand, whereas the 150 or so who'd travelled independently were situated in the corner behind the goal. 

The most amazing trip. Locals had a cigarette strike so we came over with our boxes of duty frees and were able to exchange fags for booze to the desperate bar owners.

Met a crazy German professor in one bar who was so excited by our company that he went to get his special reserve box of Cuban cigars and treated us all, passing them round the bar.

Purchased a Pisa home shirt for 3 packets of fags.

Walking to the ground pre match we'd mobbed up a little and rushed into what we thought were their 'lads' but turned out it was undercover old bill who proceeded to whack **** out of a few of us!

One chap in particular who got a hiding was Little Ronnie (RIP), who got taken to the cells downstairs, given a hiding and then let in (he came straight over to me and asked for a fag, I asked what happened to him, he said he got a good hiding but was chuffed to bits cuz he'd got in without a ticket!). 

After the game we went to a bar (probably over 50 lads). In Italy, you order your drinks and pay before you leave. Well, after a round of drinks the old bill didn't want us there so ordered us all to leave and go home. So we all left the bar without paying (on the orders of the carabinieri!). Some bright spark took us all promptly into the next bar, where we all got a beer and 10 minutes later were rounded up by the police again and left without paying. Pretty sure this happened 3 or 4 times before the old bill realised. I ended up being given a lift back to my hotel in a squad car, simply cuz they wanted us all off the streets. 

Saw all the players the day after the game as they were sightseeing. Had a good chat with Wayney Allison. 

Oh, and final bit of the story. Got shot at! Morning of the game, leaving the hotel at 10am (£10 a night right opposite the leaning tower - bargain), car screeches round the corner and we hear a shot, duck, and the window in the shop behind us goes through!! My mate had been shot at the night before as he'd left the bar to go to get more duty free fags back at the hotel. There were rumours flying around that a City lad had been shot in the park (hence us mobbing up on the way to the match and attacking their lads - who were old bill, ha ha). 

Bloody amazing trip. 

You have lived off the being shot at story for the 16 years I hav known you...better told in person

13 hours ago, jimmyb said:

You remember correctly - one of my favourite city goals of all time.

Who the bloody hell is this Thompson bloke in this line up though? I do not recognise the name or the face at all....

He absolutely nailed it, didn't he! Sure it was a last minute winner too

Glad I'm not going mad!

On 15/11/2017 at 22:41, Lenny72 said:

I've just had a flashback of you waking the following morning covered in vomit from drinking yourself unconscious. 

Good times!!!

Ha ha. Yeah I was a real mess that night. Superb 3 nights away with City in Europe. 

I also remember we got chatting to a student whilst we were hanging around the Tower. He was fascinated by the fact we were there for this crappy competition. We dragged him along for a few drinks over lunchtime and he ended up being late for his afternoon studies at the Uni!! We swapped scarves - I gave him my City one and he was from Genoa so I was the proud owner of a Genoa scarf. I've always followed their fortunes since. He also gave me a 'Pisa Sconvolts' pin badge, which was basically the local Pisa Skinhead group! Had it for years but lost it a while back. 

Archived