IGNORED

The Official Callum O'Dowda v Denmark Matchday Thread

elhombrecito

1 hour ago, Irishred said:

Can't complain. The true nature of our teams weaknesses were exposed. We are in for a long slow decline now as there is very little coming through. Callum is probably the one real prospect on the horizon.

Should have played (or come on) it was more his sort of game.....loads of space very open. Still at least he'll eturn refreshed and uninjured ! :clapping:

• Admin
12 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Top class management, Martin. Keeping us a nice fresh Callum for Saturday and he can hold his head high as he played no part in that SHAMBLES tonight.  Cheers, Mr. O'Neill !

Interesting point made in the press this morning about it will be hard to lift the players after the defeat - let's hope COD isn't too affected for us!

12 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I feel for James McClean:yes:

Out of the "Home nations" I don't mind the two Irish sides, but every cloud has a silver lining !

1 hour ago, MichaelRobartes said:

This will probably be the end for a good few guys in that team. They've punched above their weight and given us some good times along the way. Even in this failed campaign we knocked out Euro 2016 semi finalists to get to the playoff.

The end for the manager as well? He got it horribly wrong last night that's for sure.

5 minutes ago, Super said:

The end for the manager as well? He got it horribly wrong last night that's for sure.

He did, but I don't know if we could get anyone better in. We had a couple of half chances at 1-0 and without the stupid own goal, who knows. Obviously we got deservedly stuffed in the end so it sounds ridiculous but it could have been quite different.

• Admin
51 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

He did, but I don't know if we could get anyone better in. We had a couple of half chances at 1-0 and without the stupid own goal, who knows. 

Agree sadly it was one of those nights where it completely clicked for one side and nothing at all to offer from the other

Not sure he had a lot of options that could have made much difference to the outcome

He did, but I don't know if we could get anyone better in. We had a couple of half chances at 1-0 and without the stupid own goal, who knows. Obviously we got deservedly stuffed in the end so it sounds ridiculous but it could have been quite different.

Fair point. Plus you might end up with Keano....

57 minutes ago, phantom said:

Agree sadly it was one of those nights where it completely clicked for one side and nothing at all to offer from the other

Not sure he had a lot of options that could have made much difference to the outcome

I think I would have brought Long on instead of McGeady. However out of form he is he's still our best striker. It's really disappointing not to qualify again but we have to take our medicine. I thought we had a decent chance after emerging from a group with Wales, Serbia and Austria, all of which have better players than us. 

44 minutes ago, Super said:

Fair point. Plus you might end up with Keano....

Keano with his dog as assistant. That's what the fans want.

41W09GOy1BL.jpg

Taking a City player out of the equation, and while commiserating with the likes of MichaelRobartes and RedM on a fellow OTIB posters level, I'm not sure why others without an Irish background would care who went through.

Having been in the West coast of Ireland during a WC with my then young son wearing his England shirt, and remembering all the dirty looks it attracted, it was very clear that any good wishes from the English towards the Ireland football team are not reciprocated  - far from it in my experience.

6 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Taking a City player out of the equation, and while commiserating with the likes of MichaelRobartes and RedM on a fellow OTIB posters level, I'm not sure why others without an Irish background would care who went through.

Having been in the West coast of Ireland during a WC with my then young son wearing his England shirt, and remembering all the dirty looks it attracted, it was very clear that any good wishes from the English towards the Ireland football team are not reciprocated  - far from it in my experience.

It's a shame you had that experience, Noggers. I have to say that I haven't experienced an awful lot of good wishes from the English towards the Irish team here either though. It doesn't bother me - after all you wouldn't expect fans of one country to support another - as long as there isn't any open hostility (which I haven't experienced for a long time but then I tend to watch Ireland in Irish pubs).

2 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

It's a shame you had that experience, Noggers. I have to say that I haven't experienced an awful lot of good wishes from the English towards the Irish team here either though. It doesn't bother me - after all you wouldn't expect fans of one country to support another - as long as there isn't any open hostility (which I haven't experienced for a long time but then I tend to watch Ireland in Irish pubs).

I don't know, Michael, we have a thread on here in support of Ireland, I doubt you'd get the same over there wishing the England team well. Seem to remember years ago Des Lynam rallying the English behind the Ireland team as well and getting a largely positive response.

I'm not aware there is much hostility towards the Irish over here these days - although you'd know better than me - but we certainly felt less than welcome at times over there.

It's a very different country, but beautiful on the West Coast though, it must be said.

I got roughed up a couple of weeks ago by a group of middle aged blokes in Limerick, I was over in the South for couple of days for work, had a poppy in my lapel, on a few occasions I got sworn at, but this lot decided to push me around, my coat was torn and the poppy lost. I was cheering on the Danes last night. Why the love in for these retarded swamp dwellers I don't know.

11 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I don't know, Michael, we have a thread on here in support of Ireland, I doubt you'd get the same over there wishing the England team well. Seem to remember years ago Des Lynam rallying the English behind the Ireland team as well and getting a largely positive response.

I'm not aware there is much hostility towards the Irish over here these days - although you'd know better than me - but we certainly felt less than welcome at times over there.

It's a very different country, but beautiful on the West Coast though, it must be said.

I'm talking about my experiences in public, not on this forum. English broadcasters seem to think that Ireland is a sort of extension of the UK and accordingly take more interest in our team than they would another foreign side. I suppose the waters are muddied somewhat in other sports where we have an All Ireland team such as rugby and cricket. As I said, I wouldn't mind anyone wanting us to lose for whatever reason as long as they're not offensive (in a manner such as the post below yours!) Things are definitely better for the Irish in England these days but by no means perfect.

5 minutes ago, Whitchurch1966 said:

I got roughed up a couple of weeks ago by a group of middle aged blokes in Limerick, I was over in the South for couple of days for work, had a poppy in my lapel, on a few occasions I got sworn at, but this lot decided to push me around, my coat was torn and the poppy lost. I was cheering on the Danes last night. Why the love in for these retarded swamp dwellers I don't know.

Wow. Stay classy.

I am English and stood with my Irish mates watching it all unravel.

Would they support England, probably, but wouldn't feel the pain like you would if you are English. Like me yesterday! 

I was annoyed that ODowda didn't play as really Ireland offered nothing much going forward. For the record I watched the NI game and shouted for them too..But was over the loss in a nano second both times.

As my mate would say the war is over. The historical revisionism by all sides is appalling, but it's football not war and we have got to let go of who did what according to whom someday!

7 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

This will probably be the end for a good few guys in that team. They've punched above their weight and given us some good times along the way. Even in this failed campaign we knocked out Euro 2016 semi finalists to get to the playoff.

I think the future isn`t too bad. The CBs Duffy and Clark look OK and when Coleman`s back that is one properly world class player. Christie looks a good player too. Midfield is a worry obviously but with COD, Meyler, Hourihane, Hendrick, Arter, O`Kane and one or two others I think there are pretty good midfield options there. The biggest problem, and it always seems to be one for the ROI, is getting someone to stick it in the net!

Stick with Martin O`Neill would be my view as I think in a year or two there could be another good Irish side coming.

I don`t know if you saw the interview on Sky with David Meyler yesterday but the pride he had in playing for his country shone through and I suspect he`s not alone.

Archived