IGNORED

Anyone got a spare 12 thousand pounds for Billy Wedlocks England caps?

Never to the dark side

8 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

So you do not know why the supporters club & trust have a facility on matchday but coat them off anyway. Why don't you ask face to face at the meetings you attend with them?

indeed, the SC&T were always going to get that, they had it before the rebuild it's only right they had it again,

• SC&T Board Members

For clarity:

Bristol Sport initially planned a museum and set aside an area for this.

Bristol Sport then shelved that plan (but may, I understand, revisit it elsewhere at some point in the future)

That space having become free, Ashton Gate Limited offered it to the SC&T on the proviso that the SC&T paid for all the refurbishment, fittings and fixtures (in excess of £20k)

All fans are able to join the SC&T

5 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

indeed, the SC&T were always going to get that, they had it before the rebuild it's only right they had it again,

Quite right.

The original SC was in the the old Williams Stand before eventually ending up in the Dolman at the Atyeo end.

Then the rebuild meant temporary club premises before finding a permanent home where it is now.

The SC&T do a great job and are all voluntary and if anyone criticises them then they are seriously out of order.

It’s a shame that for whatever reason the museum has not happened. There must be loads of stuff (including pictures) locked away that could be displayed, and when things like Billy Wedlock’s caps become available I would have thought the club would try to snap them up (and for all I know this might be happening) rather than just leaving them in the hands of a private collector. Didn’t the club ask for donations from fans at some point as well? Presumably it still has whatever items people handed in?

34 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

You sat in the same meetings as them, may still do but do know people in the supporters club and trust.

I’m not sure what your point is..?!

I know some of the SC&T members from the FAN  meetings and from when they used to hold their meetings in my pub. Although because of the dates they’ve fallen on, I’ve not been able to attend any FAN meetings since last season.

9 hours ago, Blagdon red said:

For clarity:

Bristol Sport initially planned a museum and set aside an area for this.

Bristol Sport then shelved that plan (but may, I understand, revisit it elsewhere at some point in the future)

That space having become free, Ashton Gate Limited offered it to the SC&T on the proviso that the SC&T paid for all the refurbishment, fittings and fixtures (in excess of £20k)

All fans are able to join the SC&T

Hi.

I was going to ask you about this when we have “the drop” but you’ve answered the question. 

Thanks.

Now that museum. In the week when SL gets his CBE and with a thread to another titled stalwart to BCFC how’s about this?

If Mr L would like to buy the cap and fund the museum then I’ll donate on loan my Williams turnstile. 

Anyone on here able to put that to him?

The turnstile is a bastard to move but it would look fantastic alongside the cap and any other memorabilia that could be mustered.

4 hours ago, Pheasant plucker said:

Wow; 5'4 1/2" and an international centre half..

Am I right in saying back then that the role was quite different, and occupied more of a sweeper / link up / even central midfield role in the 3 of a 2-3-5 formation? As I understood it the deepest two were the "full backs". 

It's why when people describe "centre halves" these days, it's probably a throwback reference that is misplaced, and "centre back" is the correct term. But I don't know much about archaic football besides Bristol Rovers.

On 16/11/2017 at 02:06, Olé said:

Am I right in saying back then that the role was quite different, and occupied more of a sweeper / link up / even central midfield role in the 3 of a 2-3-5 formation? As I understood it the deepest two were the "full backs". 

It's why when people describe "centre halves" these days, it's probably a throwback reference that is misplaced, and "centre back" is the correct term. But I don't know much about archaic football besides Bristol Rovers.

Yes you are right. The full backs in those days were the out and out defenders similar to today' centre backs. The left and right halves had to cover a lot of ground taking the roles of modern full backs and midfield duties. The centre half similarly had a dual role in midfield and defence.

On 14/11/2017 at 23:43, Threshing Red said:

Was thinking the other day that it would make a good site for the memorial garden

The guy who bought the land/pub (Punch Taverns ensured a convent meant it couldn't be reopened as a public house) just got planning permission for flats on the land and then tried to sell it at a hugely over inflated price.  He's dug some of the groundworks out so as to constitute the starting of building and no requirement for any planning renewal.

On same topic I see they're finally working at the old merc garage site..

Archived