IGNORED

Joe Hart is sh**e

willy bedlock

46 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

I ******* hate this argument. Yes, a professional footballer is better at football than I am. Shock ensues. 

Maybe shite is hyperbole, but would you seriously contend that Joe Hart is the best English goalkeeper at the moment? I wouldn't.

absolutely not. But there is a bucket of difference between shite and Joe Hart

49 minutes ago, El Hombrecito said:

If we're not allowed to comment on those that are better at football than we are, we might as well shut the forum down.

Are you seriously suggesting that he can't be criticised because he is a better goalkeeper than a group of Bristol City fans? :blink:

not at all. I'm suggesting you use more accurate expressions than shite (which he certainly isn't). No one describes him as a world beater... and he isn't that either

3 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

He's obviously not "shite" with two league winners medals and 3 domestic trophies in the locker. 

However he's had his chance in an england shirt and its time for another to take the impossible burden. 

quite agree, Jordan Pickford is a better international 'keeper.

2 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Joe Hart is far from shite....I'd suggest he's a lot ******* better than anyone contributing to this debate

He should have been concentrating on the game, rather than some silly debate on otib.

I was bemoaning his selection earlier to a mate in the pub where I was watching the game but, to be fair, I thought he had a very decent game tonight.

I certainly do not think he should be automatic first choice but we should not get carried away on Pickford from one - admittedly very impressive - game, Forster is out of form, Heston is long term injured and, despite his City connection, I think slightly behind the other keepers and Butland is the most consistent English keeper of recent seasons but seems to get bad luck with injuries at critical moments.

If it were down to me Hart - along with Butland and Pickford - would be someone I would take to the World Cup but I would hope players would be assessed prior to the tournament before a final decision was made on who was first choice.

It's interesting what has happened to Joe Hart, and indeed the England goalkeeping situation over the years.

I think it's become too much of a tradition to have an England "number one". Looking back through our history, we've held onto goalkeepers that were heading into the decline phase of their career simply because they were once England greats and as a nation we hold onto this nonsensical belief that they can recapture the form that earned them the shirt in the first place. Shilton, Seaman, James, Robinson - they all suffered in a decline in form whilst wearing an England shirt and arguably held the shirt for far too long at all in the cases of James and Robinson.

For me, Joe Hart peaked his abilities around 2010-2014. For those two world cups and one euros he was our best goalkeeper (and should have been number one in 2010). Since then, almost inexplicably considering his relative youth compared to the likes of Shilton and Seaman when they were eventually displaced, his form has declined massively. Despite a media frenzy trying to portray Pep Guardiola as a pantomime villain for dropping Hart and sending him out on loan, what people failed to understand is that Pep merely saw what was patently obvious to an unbiased football fan - Hart just isn't very good anymore. His judgement of long distance efforts is questionable and for whatever reason he is lacking the mobility to compensate for this. Whilst he remains a strong character, it is clear that he just isn't the best option we have to be our goalkeeper right now. Were it not for another unfortunate injury, I have no doubts that Jack Butland would and should displace Hart permanently.

6 hours ago, OddBallJim said:

It's interesting what has happened to Joe Hart, and indeed the England goalkeeping situation over the years.

I think it's become too much of a tradition to have an England "number one". Looking back through our history, we've held onto goalkeepers that were heading into the decline phase of their career simply because they were once England greats and as a nation we hold onto this nonsensical belief that they can recapture the form that earned them the shirt in the first place. Shilton, Seaman, James, Robinson - they all suffered in a decline in form whilst wearing an England shirt and arguably held the shirt for far too long at all in the cases of James and Robinson.

For me, Joe Hart peaked his abilities around 2010-2014. For those two world cups and one euros he was our best goalkeeper (and should have been number one in 2010). Since then, almost inexplicably considering his relative youth compared to the likes of Shilton and Seaman when they were eventually displaced, his form has declined massively. Despite a media frenzy trying to portray Pep Guardiola as a pantomime villain for dropping Hart and sending him out on loan, what people failed to understand is that Pep merely saw what was patently obvious to an unbiased football fan - Hart just isn't very good anymore. His judgement of long distance efforts is questionable and for whatever reason he is lacking the mobility to compensate for this. Whilst he remains a strong character, it is clear that he just isn't the best option we have to be our goalkeeper right now. Were it not for another unfortunate injury, I have no doubts that Jack Butland would and should displace Hart permanently.

100% agree with this. Fingers crossed it's Butland in the summer, though it is almost certainly going to be Hart.

9 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

He's obviously not "shite" with two league winners medals and 3 domestic trophies in the locker. 

However he's had his chance in an england shirt and its time for another to take the impossible burden. 

All that means is once upon a time he wasn't shite, it doesn't mean he isn't now. Sometimes athletes like performers, actors, entertainers lose their mojo. I don't follow why anyone defends Joe Hart, he is firmly in the bracket of lost what he had. It might come back, I doubt it. 

Some interesting thoughts on here.... Whilst i agree that Hart is no longer at the peak of his powers, I don't think it's as simple as just dropping him.

Butland had a (overlooked by the media) spell earlier this season when he couldn't catch a cold- he is also just returning from a long spell out. Southgate is probably concerned that he is still rusty from that long spell or is waiting for him to prove he will remain fit.

Forster has been out of form for about 6 months, he doesn't deserve to be playing for England at the moment imo.

Pickford is still young/learning and varies from looking poor to world class in the same game.  He needs looking after, remember the last time we dropped our regular goalkeeper for one of the new kids on the block? England failed to qualify for Euro 2008 and Scott Carson was left broken to the point that his career never really recovered.

Heaton is out with a long term injury.

Hart provides experience that non of the others have and the defender in front of him will know his game. Whilst I would like to see Butland (or even Pickford) introduced as our number 1, I think Southgate might be going the sensible route. Keeping Hart as number one and playing regularly enough to still be familiar to the defenders whilst slowly introducing the players that will eventually succeed him.

43 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

Some interesting thoughts on here.... Whilst i agree that Hart is no longer at the peak of his powers, I don't think it's as simple as just dropping him.

Butland had a (overlooked by the media) spell earlier this season when he couldn't catch a cold- he is also just returning from a long spell out. Southgate is probably concerned that he is still rusty from that long spell or is waiting for him to prove he will remain fit.

Forster has been out of form for about 6 months, he doesn't deserve to be playing for England at the moment imo.

Pickford is still young/learning and varies from looking poor to world class in the same game.  He needs looking after, remember the last time we dropped our regular goalkeeper for one of the new kids on the block? England failed to qualify for Euro 2008 and Scott Carson was left broken to the point that his career never really recovered.

Hart provides experience that non of the others have and the defender in front of him will know his game. Whilst I would like to see Butland (or even Pickford) introduced as our number 1, I think Southgate might be going the sensible route. Keeping Hart as number one and playing regularly enough to still be familiar to the defenders whilst slowly introducing the players that will eventually succeed him.

So look to the most in form English goalkeeper, whoever that may be.

If itsnt one of the "expected names" then even better.

Just might give Hart a kick up the arse, he has a howler in him every England game.

14 hours ago, harrys said:

He always seems like a mistake waiting to happen

How would your confidence fare if you were treated the way he has been last couple of years.

the way “fans” treat players, at all levels, is a disgrace st times. We love to kick guys when they are down don’t we?

14 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Joe Hart is far from shite....I'd suggest he's a lot ******* better than anyone contributing to this debate

May as well shut this forum down then SP as I doubt anyone expressing a view on either players or coaches know as much or can play as well as anyone they post about ! In my view relative to what he once was Hart actually is pretty shit.

27 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

May as well shut this forum down then SP as I doubt anyone expressing a view on either players or coaches know as much or can play as well as anyone they post about ! In my view relative to what he once was Hart actually is pretty shit.

Expressing a view and talking sh1te all at the same time.   The OP in his eloquent way has obviously inspired you and a few others  to call out Hart, the England Team and the Manager....just stick with the Rovers thread, and leave the football chat to others. 

41 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Expressing a view and talking sh1te all at the same time.   The OP in his eloquent way has obviously inspired you and a few others  to call out Hart, the England Team and the Manager....just stick with the Rovers thread, and leave the football chat to others. 

Dont think so super poster.

3 hours ago, cider-manc said:

Thank god for some sanity on this thread.  Especially about Buckland and Pickford.  People who think it's as easy as picking the next one off the conveyor belt are a bit deluded.  I like Forster myself but he's out of form.  He does at least have solid experience playing in a poor side in the Champions League when he excelled.  That is very close to the job our keeper will be doing in Russia. Playing behind an average National side...  He's massive as well which I'm sure would matter if we had to deal with a shoot out. Our goalkeeping record in shoot outs is terrible (often overlooked as people focus on those who miss). 

Archived