IGNORED

England 2018 World Cup

freezer

So now we know the final teams that have qualified for the World Cup 2018. I find it a bit strange that England are still getting flak from some people. We've qualified, and who else from the British Isles has done that?

Maybe it's time to get behind our national team and for our fellow home nations to support us?

At least we've got there.

18 minutes ago, bris red said:

How anyone can feel positive towards the national team or even remotely want to get behind them after the last 3 or 4 tournaments is beyond me...

"or even remotely want to get behind them"....shocking. Are you English?

Are you therefore negative and totally unsupportive?

If so, I understand, but if England do well, your card is marked babber.

1 hour ago, freezer said:

So now we know the final teams that have qualified for the World Cup 2018. I find it a bit strange that England are still getting flak from some people. We've qualified, and who else from the British Isles has done that?

Maybe it's time to get behind our national team and for our fellow home nations to support us?

Australia have to play Honduras and New Zealand have to play Peru for the final two places.

52 minutes ago, freezer said:

"or even remotely want to get behind them"....shocking. Are you English?

Are you therefore negative and totally unsupportive?

If so, I understand, but if England do well, your card is marked babber.

As i said mate after decades and decades of disappointment and hurt i find it admirable anyone can find any motivation for our national team tbh.. that Iceland game was horrendous for me, and that team included the supposedly great hopes of this nation in Ali and Kane. 

Never would i actively wish them to do badly in a tournament, far from it... I just feel that if ever England NEEDED a real good gutsy tournament display (not saying we need to win it) then next year is the year to seriously win back the likes of me and probably millions like me who really dont give a fo0k about them anymore.

5 minutes ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

Personally couldn't care less about the national team. They show no pride, why should I?

Of course I want them to win ahead of any other country, but they won't, and I won't waste time pretending like they have a chance. 

It’s not about winning, it’s about having pride in your nation and it’s representatives. I’ve always had that, until last summer. 

As heartbreaking as it can be, to ALWAYS be the heroic losers and nearly men, seemingly always on the wrong end of bad decisions and/or bad luck, last summer really knocked the stuffing out of me!

I’ve effectively taken a break throughout the qualifiers. I’m not sure that I’ve watched a single game in full, or could even tell you who had been in our group! 

But now, come next summer and the World Cup, I’m hoping that the youthful squad can regain some pride & passion. I don’t expect to win it, or even get very far in it, but if we can at least put up a fight, show some effort and desire, then it would be great to at least care again! 

I’m not sure some of you realise that we’re just not very good, it’s not about pride or passion, I’d have pride in wearing the shirt but we’d still win absolutely **** all cos I’m not very good!!

Anyway some decent games announced yesterday and for Holland it would appear that there is going to be a big City following. 

1 hour ago, Rob k said:

I’m not sure some of you realise that we’re just not very good, it’s not about pride or passion, I’d have pride in wearing the shirt but we’d still win absolutely **** all cos I’m not very good!!

Anyway some decent games announced yesterday and for Holland it would appear that there is going to be a big City following. 

Yep can’t wait for Amsterdam on a Friday night!

4 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I thought the youngsters have played quite well in the last couple of matches. Almost impressed with Southgate for picking them. Watching a youthful and fearless England side tackle the world cup might even be enjoyable...

I just hope Southgate kicks on from here and has the balls to take them to Russia

6 hours ago, OddBallJim said:

We are crap. This team is crap and it is truly depressing to think of the team we had 25 years ago compared to this current pile of horse manure.

25 years ago we were a shambles under Graham Taylor with Carlton Palmer and Andy Sinton in the side and being knocked out of the Euros without winning a game 

Just saying 

Every time the national side are mentioned on here we get the same tirade of posts saying "I don't care", "The players don't care", "don't even watch anymore", "We're rubbish"

If you don't care: BORE OFF AND DON'T COMMENT?

I'm looking forward to the World Cup, and to seeing how England get on. I'm not expecting miracles, but it's my nation and I'm not going to give up before the tournament has even started.

The blanket negativity is infuriating sometimes.

I think a lot of people seem to conflate 'not very good' with 'no pride in the shirt'. I've never really seen anything to suggest that any England players don't want to wear the shirt, they're just not very good when they do. People giving Drinkwater shit for not accepting the call up are nuts- he's not been fit enough to complete a game for Chelsea this season, if he has any hope of being fit for Russia, he needs to tread carefully. Recent England teams have just been short on real talent and without the kind of players who try to make up for that by snapping legs, people assume that no one cares

Controversially, I'm really liking what Southgate is doing. He's picking a formation that works for England, rather than trying fit all the egos that want to play in at the same time. I also believe him when he says he's prepared to play the kids if they show themselves to be good enough. There's plenty of ability coming up, if the manager is prepared to harness some of that to the experience in the squad, England might not be as bad as you think. I'm not suggesting for a second that they're good enough to win it, but they might actually make the Quarter finals- or even semis- and look ok doing it

Pickford

Gomez - Cahill - Stones

Rose - Dier - Alli - Walker

Sterling - Kane - Rashford

that ain't going to win you a World Cup, but it might provide some entertainment along the way and in comparison to recent England teams, that's a start 

7 hours ago, bris red said:

As i said mate after decades and decades of disappointment and hurt i find it admirable anyone can find any motivation for our national team tbh.. that Iceland game was horrendous for me, and that team included the supposedly great hopes of this nation in Ali and Kane. 

Never would i actively wish them to do badly in a tournament, far from it... I just feel that if ever England NEEDED a real good gutsy tournament display (not saying we need to win it) then next year is the year to seriously win back the likes of me and probably millions like me who really dont give a fo0k about them anymore.

I know many will disagree with me but that Iceland debacle was totally down to the manager, Hodgson, and his 'rabbit in the headlights' performance.

Go back and look at his starting line-up and the eleven that finished the game and ponder how anyone can arrive at anything approaching a decent formation from that bunch. I firmly believe that the players were dispirited by the manager's incompetence.

18 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

England have won six games at Knockout tournaments since 1966..

& there’s an argument to say we overachieved in doing that

People get turned off by an England side that don’t meet their expectations a lot of the time - but it’s not the England squad that comes out and says “do you know what? We might win this” players don’t live up to the fans over hyped expectations and they’re not good enough. (Obviously we underachieved in the game against Iceland and the previous World Cup - but heightened expectations make it look worse)

While I’m not particularly enthused by the appointment of Southgate, keeping clean sheets against two of the world’s best teams (albeit not full strength) with a young team of our own shows some serious resilience.

I agree we shouldn’t win it, I do think the side might give us a fighting chance of beating better sides that don’t turn up and could make a decent fist of it.

I’d never feel the dejection and apathy I felt last summer for England with City but it’s close. Relegations are painful and we get knocked out of the cups every year but I’ve seen us bounce back in a different guise.

It’s almost fashionable to show disdain towards the England squad, all the arguments are borrowed from previous generations - lots of floating England fans roll them out between now and next may, yet they’re the first ones down the pub for kick off against Egypt belting out god save the queen at 12pm on a Saturday.

24 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

Pickford

Gomez - Cahill - Stones

One thing positive about that formation and team - everyone in the position they play for their club. No-one being asked to do a job they don't know well.  Southgate at least seems to have found a formation that works with the players he has available.

2 hours ago, Rob k said:

I just hope Southgate kicks on from here and has the balls to take them to Russia

After failure at whichever WC it was, Germany went back to the drawing board.  IIRC their plan was to progress their young players through the age ranges so they developed as a group so that the natural progression was to the senior team, but as a group not individuals..

There is little doubt that we have the talent in our U17s, U21s so if Southgate has the balls to develop these youngsters then I am all for it. He seems to be prepared to pick young players and not just stick with the old guard . The only issue is whether he will be prepared to stick to his guns when it comes the the tournament proper.

The only other issue with our young players long term development is how many of them will break into their premier league clubs first team any time soon? I strongly suspect that talented youngsters in Germany, Italy and France will be playing first team football at a relatively early age. In England they are as likely to be out on loan at championship clubs ( a la Tammy) than playing top flight football.

1 hour ago, chipdawg said:

I think a lot of people seem to conflate 'not very good' with 'no pride in the shirt'. I've never really seen anything to suggest that any England players don't want to wear the shirt, they're just not very good when they do. People giving Drinkwater shit for not accepting the call up are nuts- he's not been fit enough to complete a game for Chelsea this season, if he has any hope of being fit for Russia, he needs to tread carefully. Recent England teams have just been short on real talent and without the kind of players who try to make up for that by snapping legs, people assume that no one cares

Controversially, I'm really liking what Southgate is doing. He's picking a formation that works for England, rather than trying fit all the egos that want to play in at the same time. I also believe him when he says he's prepared to play the kids if they show themselves to be good enough. There's plenty of ability coming up, if the manager is prepared to harness some of that to the experience in the squad, England might not be as bad as you think. I'm not suggesting for a second that they're good enough to win it, but they might actually make the Quarter finals- or even semis- and look ok doing it

Pickford

Gomez - Cahill - Stones

that ain't going to win you a World Cup, but it might provide some entertainment along the way and in comparison to recent England teams, that's a start 

i don't see what others see in rashford, I thought Tammy and Solankie did more and were more dangerous when they came on then him

10 hours ago, freezer said:

Couldn’t care less.

Club over country for me. 

Archived