IGNORED

Price of football 2017 report

phantom

• Admin

This is apparently what it costs a season ticket holder on average.. ..

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNGCapture2.PNGCapture3.PNGCapture4.PNG

This is how the Price of Football 2017 study and calculator were compiled.

About the pricing data

The BBC contacted 232 clubs for the study. Of those, 202 were in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, with a further 30 in Europe.

We asked the clubs to provide us with the cheapest and most expensive adult matchday tickets available on the gate and online, as well as their cheapest and most expensive season ticket and away ticket prices.

The clubs were also asked to provide the cost of a tea, a pie, a programme and adult and junior-sized replica shirts.

For the first time, we also asked clubs to provide us with their young adult ticket prices for both season and matchday tickets.

The data was collated and verified by BBC Sport journalists.

About the poll

ComRes polled 1,000 football fans in Britain aged 18-24 online between 27 October and 6 November 2017. Respondents were surveyed to be nationally representative of 18-24 year olds by age, gender, region and social grade and were asked if they considered themselves a football fan. ComRes is a member of the British Polling Council and abides by its rules.

About the calculator

To work out the individual spend for each user, we asked users what team they followed and the number of games they attended. We assumed that each supporter would buy one programme, one pie and one tea for every game, as well as a replica adult shirt and a TV sports subscription.

The cost of this subscription is an average price of BT Sport and Sky Sports' full Premier League packages, bought directly from BT or Sky, once any promotional deals had been removed. We multiplied a monthly figure of £36 by the nine months that the football season traditionally runs.

We multiplied the matchday costs (pie, programme, tea) by the number of games attended and added the costs of the tickets, the shirt and the TV package. For season ticket holders, we multiplied the matchday costs by the number of home league games in a season. For both season ticket holders and individual ticket buyers, we used the value provided by clubs for the cheapest available ticket.

If a user selected that they didn't go to see any games live, we removed all matchday and ticket costs, but left the price of a TV sports subscription and an adult's replica shirt for the club they support.

In order to make the comparisons with Neymar's transfer fee and players' salaries, we simply divided this headline spending figure. The Premier League average salary was informed by Deloitte research. For the other English Football League teams and the Scottish Premiership there are no reliable figures available so BBC Sport research has provided a rough estimate for illustration purposes.

Comparisons for Welsh, Northern Irish and non-league teams defaulted to the English Premier League average salary, while the three other Scottish leagues defaulted to a comparison with the Scottish Premiership average. Supporters of women's teams had their spending compared to the reported salary of England captain Steph Houghton.

The other spending comparisons were calculated as follows: music streaming was the cost of Apple Music, Google Play and Spotify Premium after free trials had ended; cappuccino was the average price of one medium from either Starbucks, Cafe Nero or Costa; console games was the RRP of new copies of FIFA 18 or Call of Duty WWII; and the grams of gold price was true as of 31 October 2017.

The data we used for the clubs was taken from their cheapest and most expensive season and matchday tickets and the price of the most popular tickets. We also added their data on the price of a pie, a tea and a programme bought at the stadium, and the price of an adult and child shirt. Connah's Quay, in Wales, do not issue season tickets so could not provide a price. Several teams missed one or more of the other variables, so these prices have also been excluded from the calculator. We have also excluded data for the 'most popular ticket' price, where clubs gave us a range (for example between £18 and £30), or where the price was for concessions only.

The 'price of a goal' is calculated by dividing the cost of a club's cheapest season ticket last season by the number of goals scored by the team at home in the same season.

For the chart going back over time, we used figures from previous Price of Football reports where possible.

6 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

If you were buying the £345 season ticket, why wouldn't you claim the discount on your replica shirt, tea and pies? 

Exactly! That whole article is a load of rubbish. 

Who buys a programme, pie & tea at every game, IF money is an issue..?

6 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

If you were buying the £345 season ticket, why wouldn't you claim the discount on your replica shirt, tea and pies? 

You can only presume that not all clubs offer the (or similar) discounts, so because of that reason they haven't included discounts?

That' the only reason I can think of, because otherwise it's not a true reflection. It' a no brainer if you are entitled to discounts and know about them, you use them.

As someone who's been a football fan for donkeys years and manages perfectly well without a subscription to Sky I was surprised to see that a TV subscription was included in the bundle of costs for a Bristol City supporter! I'm unconvinced that that's a cost of "following Bristol City this season"...bit daft if you ask me.

1 minute ago, Red Exile said:

As someone who's been a football fan for donkeys years and manages perfectly well without a subscription to Sky I was surprised to see that a TV subscription was included in the bundle of costs for a Bristol City supporter! I'm unconvinced that that's a cost of "following Bristol City this season"...bit daft if you ask me.

Bang on. Strange that this huge fee - about the same size as a season ticket - is just normal football fan expenditure. ******* joke.

I'd be interested in a survey which showed the price of following the team away, match ticket and official (CATS) coach travel. I know a Preston fan and their coach travel prices are much better value than ours. For example recently Preston fans paid the same coach fare to travel to Ipswich as we were charged to go to Fulham, over twice the distance! 

• Admin
19 minutes ago, Taz said:

You can only presume that not all clubs offer the (or similar) discounts, so because of that reason they haven't included discounts?

You beat me to it - that is EXACTLY what it shows

19 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Exactly! That whole article is a load of rubbish. 

Who buys a programme, pie & tea at every game, IF money is an issue..?

The report isn't showing that "money is an issue" it is showing what it costs to go to games etc

9 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Bang on. Strange that this huge fee - about the same size as a season ticket - is just normal football fan expenditure. ******* joke.

I agree. You could have several people in a household sharing the Sky subscription cost yet it would show as expenditure per individual. I don't think it should be included at all. You might as well factor in travel/car parking which would also be wrong if ore than one person travelled together.

An absolute non article and non story being desperately pushed by the BBC.  Thanks for starting topic though! 

If you follow any of 86/92 clubs in the 4 divisions (everyone other than the 'big six') then football matches are not expensive.  The BBC seem keen to push the expense and so have ludiciously added everything they can think of to the price of watching football.  I haven't eaten food at a match for years other than the Cardiff game which was a noon kick off.   I also do not have Sky.  I buy Sky by the week if there is a lot on that week at the cost of £11.  Probably spend £100 per year on it.  

It is even possible to watch Manchester United for a decent fee.  I am delighted with Bristol City's pricing strategy and we are not exactly one of the cheapest either.  

People quote prices in the 80s and 90s to compare it to and completely ignore inflation in their argument.  Compare football to other afternoons out and it is very decent value.  

Still a bit pricy by standards of other good Leagues in Europe. I would class this as a good League in Europe, 5th best IMO. (The others being PL, La Liga, Bundeliga, Serie A).

By English standards, it's about par isn't it. Not OTT but not outstandingly amazing value either really? Still think English football will have a problem with attracting younger fans- age of fans has been rising for 2 decades now, maybe longer.

BBC putting in stuff about Sky and other add ons kinda an irrelevance though.

One thing that the BBC's report does show is that most clubs are pretty good at giving supporters a choice.

For example when I go to an evening London away game I'll cycle from work to the stadium, probably won't buy any food or drink and then get myself home straight after - so I just pay for the ticket which is approx. £25.00. Bargain.

But when I attend AG on Boxing day I take my dad, we go out for lunch beforehand, we have a few drinks, We sit in the Lansdown or central Dolman, we pay for parking, we might visit the store for some merch.  It's a totally different experience and costs probably 8x as much.

But it's a choice.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

You beat me to it - that is EXACTLY what it shows

The report isn't showing that "money is an issue" it is showing what it costs to go to games etc

I’ve been going to games for 30 years without needing to buy anything but my match ticket. 

They should do a "price of being an arts fan" and see how it compares...

Let's assume they go to the theatre 23 times.

23 theatre tickets at say £50 would cost £1150

theatre programmes at £5 each....£115

Glass of wine at £6 each....£138

Bag of sweets at £2 each....£46

Les Miserables T-shirt....£20

TV subscription to, err, Sky Arts.....£240

TOTAL COST £1790

Most things are expensive if you do them regularly and add up the annual cost.  I don't think football compares that badly.

Tbh I think home games are not bad value tbh in terms of the season ticket, thinking again about it (still a bit overpriced but not exorbitant).

Away games though...unless you drive it will cost a hell of a lot. National Express I guess is a useful alternative but the train prices, along with the phasing out of football specials, all seater stadia and the vast reduction of away allocations has all contributed to reduced numbers of away. Time was talking 70's now when it was standing behind a goal, a club tended to just say 'that's your end' and being standing it was usually a big stand to potentially be filled...wouldn't surprise me if away followings were markedly higher back then too.

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

because it is, I'm lucky I can afford it both home away including trains but I'm in the minority

You always get quality reasoned debate from you Monkeh.  

"Its expensive because it is"  

Quality stuff! 

So if you cannot afford to do something every week then it is expensive?  Doesn't make sense to me.  

I cannot afford to fly to Spain every other week but I can get pretty cheap flights.  

2 hours ago, RedDave said:

Quality stuff! 

So if you cannot afford to do something every week then it is expensive?  Doesn't make sense to me.  

I cannot afford to fly to Spain every other week but I can get pretty cheap flights.  

It's all about perspective. Bill Gates will tell you that a 1st class flight from Heathrow to New York is cheap. I'll tell you it is expensive. Many of us are lucky enough to be able to afford to attend football. Some are not. For lots of people in Bristol, including travel, football is just unjustifiable. If you placed yourself in their shoes, you too would see it as expensive, especially when you compare ourselves to almost every foreign club, and some at home too (see Huddersfield), where such fans are catered for with reasonable ticket prices. 

I average about £30 every home game. Most of it is spent in the local pub unless it is my round at the ground at half time which is usually a tenner, I also buy a clarkes pasty outside the ground. 

So over the course of the season I spend on average £690. Might have to cut down on the drinking so I can afford my season ticket next season. 

2 hours ago, RedDave said:

Quality stuff! 

I agree with Monkeh and the statement: "So if you cannot afford to do something every week then it is expensive" is self defining, so very logical.  A 20p packet of polos is expensive for someone who is penniless.

Football may not be expensive for you but most definately is for some and regular attendance is out of the question.

53 minutes ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

I agree with Monkeh and the statement: "So if you cannot afford to do something every week then it is expensive" is self defining, so very logical.  A 20p packet of polos is expensive for someone who is penniless.

Football may not be expensive for you but most definately is for some and regular attendance is out of the question.

Not really. 

20p isn’t “expensive” just because someone can’t afford. They just can’t afford it. 

Football tickets in England are expensive in comparison to much of Europe, but our tickets, compared to other championship clubs are not expensive, they are pretty middle of the road. There are plenty of people who can’t afford them, but plenty who can. 

The train from Bristol - Sheffield for £90 odd, IS expensive, when there are other ways of getting there for a lot less. 

Archived