IGNORED

Price of football 2017 report

phantom

1 hour ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

I agree with Monkeh and the statement: "So if you cannot afford to do something every week then it is expensive" is self defining, so very logical.  A 20p packet of polos is expensive for someone who is penniless.

Football may not be expensive for you but most definately is for some and regular attendance is out of the question.

How ridiculous to compare it to a 20p pack of polos for a homeless person.  That doesnt add to the debate at all.  

Just because you cannot afford something doesnt mean it is expensive.  I cannot afford a 5 year old Passat for 7k but I can tell you that it isnt expensive. 

2 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

It's all about perspective. Bill Gates will tell you that a 1st class flight from Heathrow to New York is cheap. I'll tell you it is expensive. Many of us are lucky enough to be able to afford to attend football. Some are not. For lots of people in Bristol, including travel, football is just unjustifiable. If you placed yourself in their shoes, you too would see it as expensive, especially when you compare ourselves to almost every foreign club, and some at home too (see Huddersfield), where such fans are catered for with reasonable ticket prices. 

I dont think expensive is the correct term here.  Unjustifiable is a better.  

11 minutes ago, RedDave said:

How ridiculous to compare it to a 20p pack of polos for a homeless person.  That doesnt add to the debate at all.  

Just because you cannot afford something doesnt mean it is expensive.  I cannot afford a 5 year old Passat for 7k but I can tell you that it isnt expensive. 

Expense is subjective is the point.  

£40-60 for two adults for two hours of entertainment every other week is expensive for some and not for others.

The price of food in Peru and Bolivia was cheap for me but not for the average Peruvian or Bolivian.

13 minutes ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

£40-60 for two adults for two hours of entertainment every other week is expensive for some and not for others.

The price of food in Peru and Bolivia was cheap for me but not for the average Peruvian or Bolivian.

So in conclusion, everything is expensive to some people.  Cracking debate!

15 minutes ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

No, value is subjective. 

“Expensive” is a comparison against market value. 

It's all very subjective...isn't it?

Football was/is the hub of many a community. It brings people together.

For that reason, football should be affordable for everyone in the community.

How I view it...families or individuals shouldn't have to go without something at home, in order to attend their local football club. It should be something that you don't have to think about.

However....football is a business, and at Football league level, pays very good wages to the players, which imo, are far too high.

People say it's a short playing career...but imo, that is a kop out answer. How many people stay in the same job all their working life? With the amount of free time players get, they should all be training/educating themselves towards their next job after football.

I can't get my head around, how a Championship footballer is worth 15/20 K a week. They simply aren't worth that. The lifestyle they have to lead, and the enjoyment they give doesn't warrant it imo.

I still think at this level, £10-£15 a game is enough for everyone to pay.

9 minutes ago, spudski said:

How I view it...families or individuals shouldn't have to go without something at home, in order to attend their local football club. It should be something that you don't have to think about.

However....football is a business, and at Football league level, pays very good wages to the players, which imo, are far too high.

People say it's a short playing career...but imo, that is a kop out answer. How many people stay in the same job all their working life? With the amount of free time players get, they should all be training/educating themselves towards their next job after football.

I can't get my head around, how a Championship footballer is worth 15/20 K a week. They simply aren't worth that. The lifestyle they have to lead, and the enjoyment they give doesn't warrant it imo.

Market forces say they are worth that.  Who's to say you are worth what you earn and I am worth what I earn?  

If salary was linked to worth of that job then nurses and teachers would earn a lot more than they do. 

42 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Market forces say they are worth that.  Who's to say you are worth what you earn and I am worth what I earn?  

If salary was linked to worth of that job then nurses and teachers would earn a lot more than they do. 

I agree...Nurses and teachers are worth far more than Footballers.

Market forces are created by a world that puts 'entertainment' as a priority over health and education. Go figure...

12 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Disspointing tickets are more expensive than the league average when we have 5-7K empty seats every week.

More should be done to fill this stadium. Yes prices are on the whole value for money but they are not decent enough to create any kind of lack of supply.

I think there perhaps needs to be more categories than just gold and silver, or at least a bigger price difference between the two.

The Leeds game - at gold prices - nearly sold out. That shows that the prices are pitched about right if the fixture is attractive enough (at least in terms of revenue-generation). But we don't get near that level of attendance for the likes of Burton Albion at silver prices, which suggests we perhaps need cheaper tickets for less attractive games.

That said, the priority for the club has to be generating the most revenue to enable us to compete - which is not the same as filling the ground. I suspect from that point of view they are getting it broadly right.

• Admin

Tea and a pie.....  I have never, ever bought tea at a ground and a pie would be a very, very rare purchase,  yet there have been many seasons when 10 pints spread before, half time and after has been nigh on a necessity to get through watching us!!  Osman, O’Driscoll and a few others........

14 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Tea and a pie.....  I have never, ever bought tea at a ground and a pie would be a very, very rare purchase,  yet there have been many seasons when 10 pints spread before, half time and after has been nigh on a necessity to get through watching us!!  Osman, O’Driscoll and a few others........

Would have taken more than 10 to enjoy an O'Driscoll game.

Don't think ive ever bought a pie.  The odd coffee and a hot dog once i think.

STH. I get a Clarks Pie if I can be arsed to walk up to the van and it`s not raining or sometimes chips if I`ve come straight from work on a night. I sometimes get a hot chocolate or something in the ground if it`s a cold day. Change from a tenner easily without taking my ST into account and even allowing for my share of the parking.

3 hours ago, spudski said:

Totally agree. Unfortunately you still get many a football fan (some of the replys on this thread are a prime example) who will defend defend and defend some more that football is reasonably priced and paying players 15/20k plus a week in the Championship is fine or not really a big issue..

A cap on wages for me is the only answer. Cant remember who posted it but on the Manchester thread there was a post along the lines of 'the club need to charge full whack for this game, it means we will make a shed load and that will take care of the wages for a while' i mean what a sad state of affairs... lets fleece the working man a bit more so that the extortionate wage bill can be payed. 

Most things in life come to an end anyway and i firmly believe this gradual year on year increase we are seeing in both wages and transfers cant continue forever, football willl have its tipping point in the next few decades for sure IMO.

10 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

They should do a "price of being an arts fan" and see how it compares...

Let's assume they go to the theatre 23 times.

23 theatre tickets at say £50 would cost £1150

theatre programmes at £5 each....£115

Glass of wine at £6 each....£138

Bag of sweets at £2 each....£46

Les Miserables T-shirt....£20  

TV subscription to, err, Sky Arts.....£240

TOTAL COST £1790

Must be a Rovers Theatre they are going to then?

1 hour ago, David Brent said:

A lot of fans need to travel to games, even within Bristol. That is another cost to consider.

It’s also frowned upon to arrive at Ashton Gate naked, so perhaps clothes & shoes should also be classed as essentials!

Archived