IGNORED

TV Coverage is set to ruin the Premier league even more

phantom

• Admin

A minimum of 190 Premier League games will be televised live in Britain from start of the 2019-20 season.

Premier League chairmen voted unanimously for the package, with the rights set to go out to auction before Christmas.

A new package of Saturday night games is likely to be offered to broadcasters, along with more midweek and Bank Holiday matches.

There will be a minimum of 22 additional live games on offer.

Analysis: Strictly v Saturday night football?

Richard Conway, 5 live sports news correspondent:

The next Premier League deal will likely herald an even greater battle for the remote control in households across the country.

That's because of the looming Saturday night prime-time clash between live top-flight football and big shows such as Strictly Come Dancing and X Factor.

But where will fans watch? Sky and BT will without doubt be in the mix once again for the bundles of games on offer.

The other X Factor in this tender process could be the big US tech companies such as Amazon and Apple. They are increasingly showing an appetite for live sports rights, as demonstrated by Amazon's recent deal for US Open tennis.

The industry speculation is that this tender process may have come too soon for the internet giants to make any major splash. It could, however, provide a taste for what lies ahead for both the Premier League and supporters.

1 minute ago, kevinmabbuttshair said:

Get on and sort out a European super league then the rest of us, the vast majority, can have our football back. 

What these clubs really want is a MLB/NFL style with no relegation 

Hang on. I'm confused.

Some people voted for Brexit to get 'out country back (whatever than means).

Now if we get a European league we get football back?

This needs to be painted on the side of a bus.

2 hours ago, SARJ said:

Personally looking forward to be able to watch more football at more convenient times. Plus if the unthinkable happens and we do get promoted, more opportunity to watch the lads if we can't all get away tickets.

Me too looking forward to it, love watching the premier league as I do all football. 

It not necessarily the clubs of the premier league with which I have a problem and certainly not the vast majority of the fans who attend premier league games.

My main issue is with the media frenzy and over exposure of a league which, whilst higher in quality is no higher in entertainment value, by media outlets who are (understandably) serving their best interests through  hyperbole. Their control over the nature of the premier league with regards to match timings is in the interests of TV fans rather than fans who wish to attend games. 

My main issue with the clubs would be those who insist on charging extortionate prices when ticket revenue makes up a relatively small proportion of their income. 

I don’t think it is an all pervading evil but it is not a desirable situation for those who just want to follow their club and watch them compete at the top level whilst maintaining a sense of connection with the club and with reality. 

1 hour ago, The_Don said:

I think it's become "cool" to slag off the top flight of English football and brand the supporters of those clubs as plastic or not real supporters.

Absolute rubbish in my opinion, as you'll see when United's away following coming to town in December.

Those are the people I feel for. The old school locals who have seen the game change beyond recognition and be priced out of their reach. It's commendable how they still follow their team everywhere but it must cost them a fortune and be so inconvenient.

If given a choice of being a top 4 club, charged 50 quid for tickets to games shown at ridiculous times, and owned by a Russian oligarch or being in League 1.. I'd be very tempted to choose the latter.

Don't they ever realise that less is more?  There's far too much Premier League football.  People will be sick to the stomachs with it.  MOTD on a Saturday night and a cracking Sunday afternoon Premier League game, with a decent Monday night match is more than enough.

I know it's not on topic, but I love the Championship Friday matches.  There should be more Championship games shown.

The issue I have with the flood of money coming into the game via Sky, BT et el is that top quality PL football tickets are still ludicrously expensive. Around £80 at Arsenal if you can a ticket in the first place.

Yet these PL clubs get millions of dosh every season but most of it goes into players fees and wages. No thought is given to the ordinary fan earning an avaerage wage. To me that's appalling and imv the FA/ government should impose regulations that cap the amount that an ordinary fan can afford - say a max of £30. 

But itll never happen.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

The issue I have with the flood of money coming into the game via Sky, BT et el is that top quality PL football tickets are still ludicrously expensive. Around £80 at Arsenal if you can a ticket in the first place.

Yet these PL clubs get millions of dosh every season but most of it goes into players fees and wages. No thought is given to the ordinary fan earning an avaerage wage. To me that's appalling and imv the FA/ government should impose regulations that cap the amount that an ordinary fan can afford - say a max of £30. 

But itll never happen.

Unfortunately, in this regard, it's a capitalist economy. 

This isn't water and electricity which are suitable candidates for price controls. Fans will just have to vote with their feet. Which they won't. 

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

But itll never happen.

Okay so £50 difference in price, say an attendance of 50,000 would mean £2.5m less a game and £47.5m over a season less in season ticket sales. 

Archived