IGNORED

Don't know what to think of Manchester after this decision

Never to the dark side

Whatever happened to free speech in this country.

I fear we are heading towards an authoritative regime in this country with young students/people closing down debates they don’t agree with. 

The irony is that these people who shut down debate claim to be anti-fascist but the reality is there are in fact are acting in a way similar to the fascist of the 1930s.

5 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Generally I agree. However, if it strays into subjects such as Holocaust denial, then he should shut the F up.

I understand your concerns but University's up and down the county are closing down debates.

Jacob-Rees Mog an elected MP and the Feminist Jermaine Geer are two people who have had to cancel speaking at universities due to protest from students, this is not good for the future of democracy in this country.

While these protests are going on by social warrior brigade the silent majority are voting in demigods like Trump because large sections of his constituents feels they don’t have a voice and are not listen to.

26 minutes ago, Super said:

What did he get right?

About how we're kept busy by certain things, stress, money all that stuff. I think he's largely a maniac but I'd agree with him on a few points. As @One Team In Keynsham says, if we start getting holocaust denial from him, then he's a *****.

1 minute ago, bs3 said:

I understand your concerns but University's up and down the county are closing down debates.

Jacob-Rees Mog an elected MP and the Feminist Jermaine Geer are two people who have had to cancel speaking at universities due to protest from students, this is not good for the future of democracy in this country.

While these protests are going on by social warrior brigade the silent majority are voting in demigods like Trump because large sections of his constituents feels they don’t have a voice and are not listen to.

Everyone should be invited to the marketplace of ideas, people should be allowed to make their own minds up. As you say, people like Trump get elected when stuff like that happens.

31 minutes ago, bs3 said:

Whatever happened to free speech in this country.

I fear we are heading towards an authoritative regime in this country with young students/people closing down debates they don’t agree with. 

The irony is that these people who shut down debate claim to be anti-fascist but the reality is there are in fact are acting in a way similar to the fascist of the 1930s.

I agree with your overall point, particularly - 

6 minutes ago, bs3 said:

But equally if this was city and we had allowed his booking by mistake (incidentally it also looks like Icke used a 3rd party to book) I would want them to cancel the booking. Everyone should have freedom of speech but if you are the one giving them the platform, then it also looks like you endorse those views on some level. 

I don't mind admitting that I agree with some of what Icke says, the stuff about the elite, the cabals and their nefarious activities. He backs up what he says with 20 odd years of meticulous research.

And he's anti-Zionism not anti-Semitic, a big difference.

Nut surprised Manchester gave him the heave-ho, but I do worry about the erosion of free speech. Not a good road to go down.

26 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Anti-semitic comments etc to one side... 

Many of those who laugh at him and the things he's said previously will also have Christian beliefs. 

Presumably had they been around at the time of Jesus they would have called him a fruitcake too. 

Nobody was around at the time of Jesus apart from some hippies on magic mushrooms who thought they would write a book 

It’s not about free speech. He’s free to express his views from his own property or on a street corner, if within the law.

its about hiring a private property for a book launch and not telling the hirer who is actually appearing, which sounds deliberately deceitful.

Manchester United are free to refuse to hire out their facilities to people they deem unsuitable surely? What if it was BNP or KKK or whatever? Man Utd have rights too.

Well done Man Utd.

Archived