IGNORED

The Sheffield Wednesday v Bristol City Match Day Thread 17

8 minutes ago, redfieldred said:

Not convinced by Magnússon. Too slow off the ball and weak in the tackle. Poor decision making too. Can't understand why so many on here seem to love him. He is eminently droppable. I really really hope he improves, I don't like slagging any player.  but there's no evidence of any coolness in or out of possession in his last few starts. He needs to sort his confidence out. 

He needs a copy of Troy McClure's video " Get confident Stupid " 

The follow up to " Smoke yourself slim " .

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Are we allowed to call ourselves play off contenders yet?

Away points like today would certainly seem to strengthen the claim.

At the moment, sure. Wolves look very strong, Villa and Middlesborough moving up, and to many draws maybe to be challenging top two. Given average luck with injuries over the rest of the season, two defeats so far suggests we are. Why not?

4 minutes ago, cityexile said:

At the moment, sure. Wolves look very strong, Villa and Middlesborough moving up, and to many draws maybe to be challenging top two. Given average luck with injuries over the rest of the season, two defeats so far suggests we are. Why not?

I think we have to be considered contenders now. We're tough to beat, we don't concede many and we are still getting results despite significant absences. Those are excellent traits to have. This is more than a good start now, we're 17 games in.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

SL need to push in the window rather than getting more crap on board. We are desperatre for a foreign playmaker and a goal scorer.

Why foreign? If they can do the job, who cares which nationality. Take a risk and try signing one or more of those England youngsters who've won their World Cup?

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Red_Wizard said:

On the M1. Two poor teams today, who if they wanted to could of won with actual effort.

If I was going to be critical, Johnson needs to start telling the players to apply pressure on the opposition, and also tell the midfield to run forward with the ball. Just show some energy.

I wasn't at the game but does anyone who was there agree there was no effort? That sounds at odds with the consensus and certainly doesn't sound like the team this season.

I'm not sure you can get an away point in the Championship without effort.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I wasn't at the game but does anyone who was there agree there was no effort? That sounds at odds with the consensus and certainly doesn't sound like the team this season.

Agreed!

• Like 1

Normally an away point at Wednesday is gratefully received. However, we denied them any shots on target but our Achilles heel denied us another three points.

What is our Achilles heel? Our lack of clinical finishing which will be the reason why we won't be challenging for automatic promotion.

I'm not complaining or criticising as we've done a good job and are still maintaining improved form on last season. Perhaps my disappointment shows how far we've come.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

City played well. Could have won. 

No effort my ass!

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Normally an away point at Wednesday is gratefully received. However, we denied them any shots on target but our Achilles heel denied us another three points.

What is our Achilles heel? Our lack of clinical finishing which will be the reason why we won't be challenging for automatic promotion.

I'm not complaining or criticising as we've done a good job and are still maintaining improved form on last season. Perhaps my disappointment shows how far we've come.

I’m sure someone posted one of those graphs a couple of weeks back showing we were actually the second most clinical in the league behind Ipswich.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

To be fair, we're without our record signing up front. Most teams would miss their number one striker. Perhaps his return could help convert a few good draws into stunning victories?

• Like 1

I think we're a bit hard on Mags. He clearly isn't a LB and is not at all confident in the role. He looked better today than the last game and all you can really ask is for progress. He didn't get forward enough and or offer an overlap but actually, apart from one mix up with FF, defensively he was decent. Bailey suffers the same issue in terms of going forward as Mags but people appreciate he is out of position and give him some leeway. + Mags's throws are a potent attacking weapon that cause a huge threat and have led to a couple of goals so far this seasons. There have definitely been games where we have forgiven Flint's shortcomings because he has scored or been a threat up front.

Don't get me wrong I not saying he is at the level of Bailey or Flint but he is a player who is developing and has potential. When he is at CB he actually looks confident and relaxed on the ball so it's clear that playing LB affects that part of his game. I not saying he is amazing but I think some people have got into a mindset of looking for his faults instead of looking at him overall. At worst I'd say he is a useful squad player.

• Like 2