IGNORED

The Sheffield Wednesday v Bristol City Match Day Thread 17

1 hour ago, BCFC Richard said:

I think we're a bit hard on Mags. He clearly isn't a LB and is not at all confident in the role. He looked better today than the last game and all you can really ask is for progress. He didn't get forward enough and or offer an overlap but actually, apart from one mix up with FF, defensively he was decent. Bailey suffers the same issue in terms of going forward as Mags but people appreciate he is out of position and give him some leeway. + Mags's throws are a potent attacking weapon that cause a huge threat and have led to a couple of goals so far this seasons. There have definitely been games where we have forgiven Flint's shortcomings because he has scored or been a threat up front.

Don't get me wrong I not saying he is at the level of Bailey or Flint but he is a player who is developing and has potential. When he is at CB he actually looks confident and relaxed on the ball so it's clear that playing LB affects that part of his game. I not saying he is amazing but I think some people have got into a mindset of looking for his faults instead of looking at him overall. At worst I'd say he is a useful squad player.

‘He clearly isn’t isn’t a left back?  I suspect he’ll be one of 32 playing in that position in Russia next summer!

1 hour ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Eventually we will overcome our lack of confidence https://www.oppetarkiv.se/video/1958950/friggebo-och-bildt-i-rinkeby

This states:

“We have placed cookies on your computer and store your IP number to give you a better experience of our websites. If you do not approve or want more information, please read more here:”

Not sure how this helps City, but things are a bit different in Sweden 

7 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

‘He clearly isn’t isn’t a left back?  I suspect he’ll be one of 32 playing in that position in Russia next summer!

He does play there for Iceland because of their lack of players. But he was signed by us to play CB. Thats where he started out playing. LJ said last season that was his only real position. When it became clear Flint wasn't going to leave we tried to loan him out because we clearly feel he is a CB not a LB. Its hard to see him getting much game time in that position at the moment but had flint gone he would have played there today. If you really feel he is a LB then I can understand the criticism, but I don't think the club do (and I don't). If we had played Flint at LB today and he had played exactly the same I don't think we would be criticising him. 

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I wasn't at the game but does anyone who was there agree there was no effort? That sounds at odds with the consensus and certainly doesn't sound like the team this season.

I'm not sure you can get an away point in the Championship without effort.

Very good away performance. Nullified very good players with hard graft and discipline. Didn't quite have the killer instinct to score.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

Radio commentary said the opposite to that.  

Just the point I was going to make to @Red_Wizard. The radio commentator said he could hear the national commentators being impressed with Bristol City towards the end of the match quoting they are saying 'that's why they are fourth in the table'. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, OldlandReddies said:

In truth,the form we are in, and the squad we have got, everyone knows we really dont have to improve the squad. We are doing great as we are and if we carry on in the same vein then we will be promoted. Why change it/spoil it ?

This is not the attitude that will get us promoted. If we carry on in the same vein we will finish 4th and enter the play off lottery. We should always be looking to improve, to gives ourselves a shot at an automatic place. That may seem optimistic but it's the right principle.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, watkins1983 said:

Cracking point today. Cardiff at Home and Wednesday away. 2 games that never return many points. Another 4 points from next weeks fixtures would be fantastic! Looking hard to beat, something I haven’t been able to say since 2007-2008! COYR

I'd say this team actually looks harder to beat than 07-08, when we took a few heavy hammerings along the way.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

This is not the attitude that will get us promoted. If we carry on in the same vein we will finish 4th and enter the play off lottery. We should always be looking to improve, to gives ourselves a shot at an automatic place. That may seem optimistic but it's the right principle.

Dont agree. Carry on as we are and we will be promoted. 

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I'm with you. We could attract some good players whilst we are riding high I think. I also don't want to get to April/May and rue not strengthening in January as we thought we could manage. We could only be one more injury  from chucking this season   away. Yes bringing in one or two could possibly upset the balance, that's where we have to do our homework. But I would rather have a player or two sitting on the sidelines than scrabbling around for replacements in our reserves like Preston as we thought we could get by. 

1 minute ago, RedM said:

I'm with you. We could attract some good players whilst we are riding high I think. I also don't want to get to April/May and rue not strengthening in January as we thought we could manage. We could only be one more injury  from chucking this season   away. Yes bringing in one or two could possibly upset the balance, that's where we have to do our homework. But I would rather have a player or two sitting on the sidelines than scrabbling around for replacements in our reserves like Preston as we thought we could get by. 

It's certainly a balancing act between retaining squad unity whilst also looking to improve. I always think back to how Newcastle were heading for the league title but brought in Faustino Asprilla and it appeared to upset the apple cart.

But fundamentally the attitude should always be to look to improve, and take advantage of the opportunity to recruit players we perhaps might not otherwise be able to, if we weren't in the promotion mix.

Also it's not as if we're 15 points clear at the top! Fine margins could make an enormous difference to our season.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

It's certainly a balancing act between retaining squad unity whilst also looking to improve. I always think back to how Newcastle were heading for the league title but brought in Faustino Asprilla and it appeared to upset the apple cart.

But fundamentally the attitude should always be to look to improve, and take advantage of the opportunity to recruit players we perhaps might not otherwise be able to, if we weren't in the promotion mix.

Also it's not as if we're 15 points clear at the top! Fine margins could make an enormous difference to our season.

Maybe a very little tinkering but with 8 away games without defeat against some top teams and 21 points from our last 10 games, we are on track for automatic promotion, so agree that we shouldnt mess too much. why change something that is working. 

52 minutes ago, RedM said:

Just the point I was going to make to @Red_Wizard. The radio commentator said he could hear the national commentators being impressed with Bristol City towards the end of the match quoting they are saying 'that's why they are fourth in the table'. 

People around weren’t impressed with both sides either. Agree that if you can pick up points without playing well, it shows a team that could go far. Every game isn’t going to be brilliant, and today was one of those days. Hopefully we see an improved performance Tuesday.

Edited by Red_Wizard
  • Like 1

We were the better team today, though it has to be said that Wednesday finished stronger than us. I thought we were defensively excellent and my Wednesday supporting mate couldn't believe we didn't score at least one goal. Brownhill was excellent and O'Dowda looked great too- the way they read the game makes me believe they're both destined to play at a higher level. Thought Taylor had some good spells too and Flint and Baker looked rock solid all game

However, Bobby was too deep all game. When he got the ball in the final third he was always a threat but on occasion he was picking up the ball in front of the back 4. Also, Magnússon was the obvious weak link. He wasn't all bad, but he kept misreading the play and getting beaten too easily. I'd like to see Lloyd Kelly given a go there next time Joe isn't playing LB 

Decent performance though, I really think we're contenders this season

• Like 2
3 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I wasn't at the game but does anyone who was there agree there was no effort? That sounds at odds with the consensus and certainly doesn't sound like the team this season.

I'm not sure you can get an away point in the Championship without effort.

His reply was nonsense IMO, I thought it was a strong performance against a dangerous team, the effort was outstanding.

3 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

It will be interesting when our friends in the north check in to let us know what they thought of the game. @Owl Visiting @OwlsonlineAdmin? it`s always good to hear an alternative view to ours.

Sums up our season so far really, disappointing. We just aren't at the races, and there's no way we're suddenly gonna hit form and stay in the top 6, we've got mid table written all over us. I've not joined what is becoming the majority of Wednesday fans in calling for the managers head but maybe we've started to go stale, and a new face with fresh ideas might be what we need. Our current first 11 is almost identical to the one which lost the playoff final a couple of seasons ago. Despite all the money spent since we somehow haven't managed to strengthen our side. 

As for today, thought it was a poor game, agree you were the better side and could have nicked it. Never felt we were going to score to be honest.

• Thanks 2
8 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

Sums up our season so far really, disappointing. We just aren't at the races, and there's no way we're suddenly gonna hit form and stay in the top 6, we've got mid table written all over us. I've not joined what is becoming the majority of Wednesday fans in calling for the managers head but maybe we've started to go stale, and a new face with fresh ideas might be what we need. Our current first 11 is almost identical to the one which lost the playoff final a couple of seasons ago. Despite all the money spent since we somehow haven't managed to strengthen our side. 

As for today, thought it was a poor game, agree you were the better side and could have nicked it. Never felt we were going to score to be honest.

Fair comments. I thought both teams played pretty cautiously from a tactical point of view. Both managers could've thrown caution to the wind and it'd have been a goal fest.  End of the day though, as the home team the onus was on you to attack and you didn't show enough desire to take any risks. That may well have been out of respect for us, which is obviously good news for us; not so much for yourselves!

2 hours ago, Owl Visiting said:

I thought in a way both teams cancelled each other out, two teams playing a similar style.

Where we excelled was especially in the first half Reid and Taylor chased and harried your back 4 and to be honest I thought your back 4 looked to cocky at times and was expecting a mistake at any minute and your midfield had to drop deep to help the back 4 out and that enabled our midfield to push up and for the most part dominate the midfield area, which was the key for us. We kept Bannan fairly quiet and when that happened you began to run out of ideas.

Wallace was anonymous, Rhodes just isn't a threat any more and Hooper never got going.

I said at half time that after the first 10 minutes I sensed your fans were not convinced by your team and went very quiet and looking to get on the back of the players.

Looking at the 2 teams when January comes, we have quite specific needs, your needs (if you are going to push on) are probably more drastic.

Edited by Esmond Million's Bung
  • Like 2

I think Wednesday need to rethink the tactic of not closing down defenders. It allows the opposition time on the ball at the back and stops them being able to keep any momentum going. Clearly something that they coach as they didn't adapt until last 20. They also rarely managed to pass around our high press. LJ had done his homework.

9 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Agreed; sincerely hope LJ learns from his fathers mistakes of 10 years ago and makes much better quality signings that will give us the extra 3 or 4% that could make all the difference. Of course managers always come out and say January signings are notoriously difficult and usually overpriced. Buyer beware no doubt.

7 hours ago, BCFC Richard said:

Did anyone see the miss from Brentford today? 

I have now... I think that has to be the miss of the season so far. So bad in fact that my immediate reaction was that he is linked to a Singapore Syndicate. 

10 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Stick or bust ? Hard question. 

We may bring in a quality player or two who then upset the team spirit or way of playing , so miss out .

We don't, we may run out of steam .

I know there are better players out there than some of ours but that doesn't mean they could improve the drive and desire that players like Pack , Fielding and company bring to the squad .

• Like 2