IGNORED

Preston’s Form

Negan

12 hours ago, Mortis said:

Evening all , posted on here a good few times and like to think I try and post a balanced view of the team I have supported for 40 + years and as always for the third season on the trot will be making the trip to Ashton Gate as its one I pencil in immediately due to the guaranteed good humour between both sets of fans ( can only base this on the numerous times I have seen Preston play away at Bristol City and having done Preston away at 90  + clubs found your supporters amongst if not the most welcoming ) so what of our visit on Tuesday ?

Having lost Grayson to Sunderland I felt and still do that he was a real loss and season on season we had progressed as a club ( player wise from last season and a bit more football ) despite two 11th placed finishes and identical points for both seasons ( but a terrible one win in 10 at the end of last season ) , we had to find a replacement for Simon quite quickly and I am lead to believe it was pretty much a two horse race between Neil or Rosler from Fleetwood , Neil got the nod perhaps down to having promoted a side from the Championship although Norwich with there squad/recent Prem history is a different prospect to coming to manage Preston without top flight football for 53 years , our start surprised me and I think a good few of us , not just the 1 defeat in 11 , nor 3 goals conceded but the manor of high tempo pressing football , loads of chances created ( not taken in the main ) but outplaying Cardiff , Reading , Sheff Wed , Moro and Leeds and the only defeat a narrow one at Derby , we first conceded two goals at home to Sunderland and the players looked out of sorts against a club in turmoil on the back of a 5-2 defeat at Ipswich but Grayson knew our players better than Alex Neil and 2-2 was fair , we then go to Fulham and perhaps put on our best performance of the season and could / should have been 4-0 up , even at 2-1 we create and miss two glorious chances and concede in the 96th min for a 2-2 draw , then Wolves away we let in 3 but having gone deserved a point in a 3-2 defeat but defensively we look suspect , then we play IMO very poorly at Home to our bogey side Brentford ship another 3 in a 3-2 defeat , injuries are piling up and we simply have no Plan B in games nor can we park the bus , Villa was men v boys but I wander off Deepdale thinking this is a squad assembled for around £2.4-£2.5 Mill what more should we expect ? , Ipswich away we had 6 defenders out and get trounced 3-0 and Friday we look content to stop the rot and grind out a pretty uneventful 0-0 but with no Hugill and Maguire we are toothless...

One thing I haven't seen under Alex Neil except a little bit at Home v Bolton is us playing for a point , with No Cunningham , Clarke , Davies we have 3 of our back 4 out ( Clarke will be on the bench but hasn't kicked a ball from a serious injury ) , confidence is low and the high passing tempo and stunning football at the moment is a distant memory , I am certainly not looking up ( a few weeks ago even I was starting to believe ) but I also do not think we will be dragged into the bottom 3 ( 14-19th a likely finish ) , I have never witnessed a team with 8 defenders out and having to play kids / players out of position all over the pitch and think most teams would suffer and we really are on a bad run , I would be very surprised if we get any form of result at all on Tuesday and hope I'm proved wrong but with your current form / squad it looks like a pretty comfortable home win but I will cheer the team on and take a win/draw/defeat and hope to see a decent game of football , things change very quickly in football wasn't long ago at Deepdale after that 5-0 defeat that I didn't think Johnson could turn you around but he has and its nice to see you at the right end of the table and you with 1 defeat ? all season look real top six contenders , whether Alex Neil is the man to progress us is way to soon to tell , he will be given time and a limited budget but we have perhaps the 3rd smallest budget in the division and think we punch way above our weight ..

Regardless of the result on Tuesday all the best 

Mortis

Thanks for your post glad you look forward to this game 

your right we do have a bond with your team , fans

Thanks for the excellent post @Mortis.

I think this is all about the first goal, if we get it, I would be disappointed if we didn't get 3 points as, as mentioned, PNE are having serious injury issues. They're a good side though. Hopefully, for us, Pearson isn't fit as I saw the game on Friday night and he was struggling badly at the end, good player though. Any side with paul Gallacher in it has to be respected as I think he's a fine footballer too.

If PNE hadn't had their injury issues, I think they would have been up with us so I certainly wouldn't take them lightly and I thought they looked decent on Friday if a little toothless. Their pressing game was impressive and they appear to play with a similar energy to us. Whether that makes for a good spectacle I couldn't say but it could / should be a good one. I think they are similar to us in that they have a fine first 11 but maybe not such good backup players, whereas ours are doing just fine.

I hope our friends in the North have a safe journey down (and back for that matter) but we could really do with winning this one.

2-0 City.

18 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Preston have slipped badly after a decent start to the season.  I expect them to come here and park the bus.

Unfortunately we have not been so good at getting around parked busses, so expect a dull game unless we can get an early goal 

Parking the bus is not in the Alex Neil make up.

We should have a decent team out as he's expecting a couple of defenders back for Tuesday. Hugill will also return from suspension.

Expected line-up:

Maxwell

Fisher Huntington Davies Woods

Pearson Johnson

Barkhuizen Browne Mavididi

Hugill

Got to be careful here. Preston have some serious threats on the counter attack. They will be well drilled even with some defenders missing. The front 4 in @pnefcok predicted lineup is more than capable of scoring plus Daniel Johnson has an eye for goal as well. Think some are just assuming they are decimated everywhere. They are not, their defense has taken a hit but the rest of their team is strong. They also have an extra day to prepare essentially with them playing Friday evening.

We need to be clinical if we want to win. We may only get a few chances and if we can take the lead we can possibly find a bit more space. Again, think they will be dangerous on the counter attack and if they get an early lead we will struggle to come back. In a weird way, this is probably the toughest of the first 3 games back from break with the other 2 being away from home which actually suits us a lot more this season than I can really recall.

1 hour ago, pnefcok said:

We should have a decent team out as he's expecting a couple of defenders back for Tuesday. Hugill will also return from suspension.

Expected line-up:

Maxwell

Pearson Johnson

Hugill

I thought Mavididi was a centre forward rather than a winger? Played well for your lot since being loaned to you?

1 hour ago, pnefcok said:

Expected line-up:

Maxwell

Pearson Johnson

Hugill

When you see it written down that looks half decent TBF. It definitely won`t be the pushover some seem to think but we still ought to have a bit too much for you I hope.

3 hours ago, CheddarReds said:

I thought Mavididi was a centre forward rather than a winger? Played well for your lot since being loaned to you?

Yeah his natural/preferred role in as a no.9 but that’s Hugill’s position and he probably will not be displaced until he’s sold.

Mavididi can also play on either wing. He’s been used pretty sparingly for far as initially he looked very, very raw, but he had a good game against Bolton and has been doing well on England youth duty so I think we could soon see a lot more of him.

Would expect him to stay in the side for Tuesday but could easily be Harrop as well to be fair.

It will be another tough game.

Outside the top six, the best defensive record is held jointly by Wednesday, Millwall, and Preston. Drew the first two 0-0. As ever, will come down to finding a way through, whilst keeping it tight ourselves. They always seem to do us at AG.

On 11/19/2017 at 13:08, Ska Junkie said:

Thanks for the excellent post @Mortis.

I think this is all about the first goal, if we get it, I would be disappointed if we didn't get 3 points as, as mentioned, PNE are having serious injury issues. They're a good side though. Hopefully, for us, Pearson isn't fit as I saw the game on Friday night and he was struggling badly at the end, good player though. Any side with paul Gallacher in it has to be respected as I think he's a fine footballer too.

If PNE hadn't had their injury issues, I think they would have been up with us so I certainly wouldn't take them lightly and I thought they looked decent on Friday if a little toothless. Their pressing game was impressive and they appear to play with a similar energy to us. Whether that makes for a good spectacle I couldn't say but it could / should be a good one. I think they are similar to us in that they have a fine first 11 but maybe not such good backup players, whereas ours are doing just fine.

I hope our friends in the North have a safe journey down (and back for that matter) but we could really do with winning this one.

2-0 City.

Thanks Ska Junkie - never the best of journeys down to Bristol  but I'm off work on the Wed :)

4 hours ago, Mortis said:

Thanks Ska Junkie - never the best of journeys down to Bristol  but I'm off work on the Wed :)

I left Manchester at 2 today Mortis and sailed down in just over 3 hours mate, just avoided all the crap around Brum and there was an accident at J18 of the M6 in the roadworks but I missed that as well.

I hope you're as lucky tomorrow (with the traffic anyway ;) )

4 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

I left Manchester at 2 today Mortis and sailed down in just over 3 hours mate, just avoided all the crap around Brum and there was an accident at J18 of the M6 in the roadworks but I missed that as well.

I hope you're as lucky tomorrow (with the traffic anyway ;) )

So do I ... may the best side win , enjoy the game

Cheers - Mortis

Still not totally convinced that we won't at some stage this season, revert to the City that I've known and loved for too many decades. For that very reason, I name this match as our "November Banana Skin Match"

Please, team, avoid treading on them too often tomorrow evening. Yes, I know that this City team only lose when the opposition are BCFC.com, the blue version managed by Cotts. Why can't I be like some City fans who believe that we'll win every match?

Archived