IGNORED

Match Report: As dominant an away 0-0 as you will see

Olé

Sorry for the delay but it turns out that if you want to see what living off the grid is like, you can get the equivalent experience on East Midlands Trains.

In a parallel universe modelled on several of our prior managers, Bristol City are still labouring through a home game only to claim an ugly 0-0 draw. In this universe however our team (and its now fully redeemed manager) have set a new and unprecedented baseline for our standard, comfortably dominating every aspect away at a big club and being hugely disappointed to 'only' secure a 0-0 draw. 

It's not often I have walked out of a 26,000 crowd as an away fan and felt frustrated with getting a draw, but today absolutely, Sheffield Wednesday got away with one. I should be mad, but look over your shoulder, see how far we've come. This is the best team in my lifetime. I'm seeing the same quality of football that I see on TV when the big teams are on. Today, every single player (maybe bar Magnússon) looked better than their opposite number.

We played right from the start with pace and width and an energy that Wednesday couldnt match. They were cowed and regressive, we spread the team wide and looked to stretch them at every opportunity. We compensated for a lack of height by pumping the ball forward and then winning second balls from their first clearance. Every second ball. We had a spring in our step and were onto every loose ball outside their box, often then releasing Bryan or O'Dowda to cross.

For the first half we looked like the home side. Possession and majority of the game in their half, Wednesday reduced to sporadic breaks and Rhodes drifting between our centre backs looking for tame headers from balls lofted forward. We were committing far more players forward and regularly allowing our wingers to make light work of their full backs, supported gamefully by our central midfield pushing up and setting the tempo. All that was missing was a target man.

Our best chance of the half was an exchange outside the box that allowed O'Dowda to get behind them and square for Reid who at close range headed straight at the keeper. O'Dowda, among our best players of the past month, showed no sign of World Cup hangover and routinely abused their full back, also cutting in and steering a shot just over the angle of post and bar.

In the second half we came out even more determined to make our dominance count, and led by Taylor, were pulling their defence in all directions. But as with the first half, the lack of a target man meant end product was sadly lacking, often falling to midfielders on the edge of the box to test the keeper, Josh Brownhill going closest, drilling a shot just wide of the post. For all our confidence with the ball, it was becoming that sort of game where Wednesday might land the sucker punch.

Magnússon had started to look the weak link and two mistakes during swift Wednesday counters - beaten on the touchline and again giving it away in his box when the clearance seemed easy, seemed to give the home side some belief, and they would win a series of corners, building some momentum. But they never troubled Frankie and didn't have the pace or fluency that City's midfield showed when it sprung forward with significantly more menace and threat.

Ironically it was during Wednesday's best spell that the game really opened up for City - the introduction of Duric with 20 minutes remaining making an obvious difference. He won all his headers and gave O'Dowda and others plenty of opportunity to threaten.
Suprisingly it was the shaky Magnússon who stepped up into one of their swiftest counters and executed a perfectly timed tackle to rob the ball as they poured forward, initiating a fast counter from which Reid dragged a tame shot wide. 

But the chance(s) of the half - and the game - came in a barnstorming twenty seconds of assault on Wednesday with 15 remaining, when another typically sharp central midfield incision allowed the commanding Brownhill to release Duric clear on goal from the left, his low shot was blocked by the keeper and with City pouring forward the ball spun loose on the edge of the box. Reid and Paterson converged and arguably got in each others way, but Reid, who is majestic whenever the ball is near, kept his composure to collect it up, shift away from the defender and spin and deliver a reverse cross which Flint met with an overhead kick that flashed agonisingly wide of the post.

In the end City had to ride out Wednesdays best spell in the final ten minutes but there was really never any serious threat and I doubt any City fan really panicked, it would have been an act of monumental injustice had City not at least got a point, to be honest Wednesday's late surge had the look of a lower division cup side trying to make good the fact they were still in the game against much more capable opposition.

So all in all a great game that demonstrated comprehensive superiority of a City side that plays with an energy, pace and confidence to move with the ball that from memory is virtually unprecedented in my life at this level. The players to a man were the better of their opponents and in Bobby Reid, even in a quiet day by his standards, we have a legitimate superstar, twice in the second half in either half of the pitch he executed unbelievable skill to sneak the ball away from an embarrassed opponent.

But overall the biggest feature for me was the confidence using the ball. We dominated by playing a forward thinking 'prepared to take risks' game where we bet on quick passes knowing that even when they didn't come off we had the energy and swarm to recover possession. No wonder we had such sustained presence in the opposition half. Wednesday conversely looked nervous and uncertain, compact to our width, and sunk deeper and deeper, even Bannon retreating to a position in front of his box such was City's dominance.

A goalless draw away at a big team that we should not be disappointed with, but which does represent two points lost more than one point gained, as it was surely such a strong performance that we win from 9 out of 10 times. I have seen enough now this season to say that it will be a surprise if we are not in the top six by the end of the season, and in Lee Johnson we have a manager who has not only redeemed himself but - let's call it out - is comfortably into credit. 

Fielding 6 Didn't have a lot to do, and kicking was poor
Smith 8 Back in his unconventional right back spot and as per usual wherever you put him he doesn't put a foot wrong
Magnússon 6 One brilliant tackle but mostly looked like a mistake waiting to happen
Baker 7 Solid in the air without an awful lot to do
Flint 8 Also solid and went closer than anyone at the other end with another finish you would expect from a top class striker
Pack 7 Solid and neat as the base of our midfield
Brownhill 8 Will still be running in his sleep tonight, an absolute engine that doesn't stop, box to box, needs a drug test
Bryan 7 Got the better of full back several times but often didn't have room to cross
O'Dowda 8 Probably out best player, never stopped running at them and positioning and instinct spot on
Taylor 7 Didn't have many clear chances but was a nuisance and his unselfish play to spread the ball was key to the joy O'Dowda and Bryan were getting
Reid 7 Not his best game but several glimpses that he was the best natural footballer on the pitch and never stopped going

Duric 7 Won everything when he came on, and had our best chance of the game
Paterson 5 Didn't really get into the game

Thanks for the report Ole, always good to hear from someone at the game. I listened on the radio and we always sounded like the better team and the most likely to score.

Really look forward to Tuesday night, I assume Wright is back so hopefully we can secure 3 points. But as Johnson said on the Radio we have struggled against PNE at home recently. 

17 minutes ago, cheesleywalksoncider said:

Thanks for the report Ole, always good to hear from someone at the game. I listened on the radio and we always sounded like the better team and the most likely to score.

Really look forward to Tuesday night, I assume Wright is back so hopefully we can secure 3 points. But as Johnson said on the Radio we have struggled against PNE at home recently. 

LJ IS LEARNING FROM COLIN.

It was a pretty even game with both teams having chances albeit rare ones! In all fairness I thought it was a dull affair with each side cancelling each other out.

No way  were we 'dominant' - a bit of a one eyed view imho.

Bottom line - a well earned point at a tough venue.

Now onto PNE at AG on Tuesday. I'll bet the tannoy is still rubbish..............:facepalm:

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

It was a pretty even game with both teams having chances albeit rare ones! In all fairness I thought it was a dull affair with each side cancelling each other out.

Now onto PNE at AG on Tuesday. I'll bet the tannoy is still rubbish..............:facepalm:

And the bl00dy stand lights will be on!:grr:

4 hours ago, Olé said:

....in Lee Johnson we have a manager who has not only redeemed himself but - let's call it out - is comfortably into credit. 

Fully agree. I can't believe he's done it, but he has. Whatever happens from here on in, the results since August have more than compensated for last season's poor run.

4 hours ago, nickolas said:

And the bl00dy stand lights will be on!:grr:

Thanks for the reminder; that when i am back for the festivities i direct the majority of my football viewing resource to away matches where common sense on lighting prevails; are 3pm kick offs now an issue as well due to the shorter days?

1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

Thanks for the reminder; that when i am back for the festivities i direct the majority of my football viewing resource to away matches where common sense on lighting prevails; are 3pm kick offs now an issue as well due to the shorter days?

No idea mate, we haven`t had one at AG since Leeds! a month ago!

8 hours ago, Olé said:

Exactly. You'd have to attend midweek games at Ashton Gate and be up until 3am the following morning adding the coding and pictures to your match reports just to satisfy your baying horde of loyal readers. It takes more than looking good in baseball cap to carry that off young man! :P

6 hours ago, Xiled said:

Fully agree. I can't believe he's done it, but he has. Whatever happens from here on in, the results since August have more than compensated for last season's poor run.

One of my owl supporting mates said to me the other day that him and the people he sits with in the ground would have johnson in a heart beat. He was impressed by us yesterday and has been all season to date.

Always interesting to view other fans opinions.

These are messages from a Wednesday fan who was there yesterday, he also does work for Plymouth.

'Impressed with BCFC yesterday, clearly Johnson has taken note of how Huddersfield played last season and adopted for BCFC. Some good young players like Magnússon, he will go far just like his throw ins!!! Reid was ok, but still has that habit of making a pass and watching his work as opposed to chasing more. Matty Taylor was a pain in the arse for defenders, and Flint was his usual rock steady self. The only criticism I could have and its a positive one, is that you over played/passed in and around the box, this cost you a 2 to 3 nil victory, instead of shooting you tried to make the extra pass or take the extra touch. Best chance was to Reid, free header 6 yards out unmarked and he nodded it straight to the keeper, all in all very impressed and you will do well.'

I then mentioned that many of our fans slate Magners...

Response...

'Sad they had a go at Magnússon, him and Bryan nullified SWFC down that side, Magnússon played very well.'

10 hours ago, Robbored said:

Well my Wednesday supporting mates felt we were the better team for all but the last 10 minutes and couldn't believe we didn't win. So they must have been using the same eye as @Olé

I agree it was a well earned point, but for most of the game we dominated, though without creating a glut of chances. Still between Reid's 2 chances in the first half and Duric's in the 2nd, we should really have won

Weds fans on the tram on the way back to the train station were complaining how they looked so stale compared to a vibrant City....thought is was a very comfortable point, could well have won but probably didn't do quite enough in my opinion to totally deserve it, defence excellent credit to Korey and Maggers who were up against two tricky opponents, while Odowda just glows in confidence nowadays, I do feel we miss Diedhiou or someone similar to run the channels, if Woodrow can't do that it's an area LJ might still need to address despite the good efforts of Matty T and Djoric.... Good numbers and support from fans.. . Hillsborough maybe a little bit tired in places as a ground but still pretty awesome as a spectacle. 

10 hours ago, Fatalist said:

Channel 5 reckon Wednesday should have had 2 penalties. Can't say I agree though. I wouldn't say we dominated as we didn't get for ward enough, but 'I don't remember Fielding making a save ( and  Westwood only 2 ).

Both very giveable IMHO - Bakers more than HMs

IFf it was last season they would have been given !

Archived