IGNORED

Very Happy Right Now

Kid in the Riot

Perhaps the best thing you could say about today's performance was that despite being at far from our best, we were still better than a Wednesday side who are 9th and have just been coming into a bit of form.

Defensively we have improved ten-fold on last season,with the only obvious weakness of Magnússon today. Our away form has also improved ten-fold on last season. I feared the worst after an abysmal display at Griffin Park back in August but skip forward to the performances at Ipswich and again today (the ones I've seen but obviously put S'land and Fulham it the mix too) and we can now competently contain teams for long periods if we need to whilst still looking a threat going forward. Brownhill, O'Dowda and Djuric all worthy of a special mention  today. 

As of now, play-offs are very much an achievable goal for us IMO. We have strength in depth, score goals, can defend and can play a bit too when given the opportunity. There also appears to be a great team spirit that as we saw in 2006-08 and in 2015 is key to any successful City side. 

Top two cannot be ruled out at this stage either. There, I said it. Wolves are the outstanding team in this division (and we gave them a fright up there despite them being excellent on the night) but beyond them I don't see another strong contender, at the moment. We should fear neither Sheffield U, who are riding the crest of a wave, nor the sheep shaggers.

All in all, good times. Well done LJ, DH and my boy Jamie Mac ;). I can now say beyond doubt that lessons have been learnt after last season and we certainly* won't be in a relegation scrap.

Take a bow, boys :clapping:

*well, almost certainly! 

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Still think Villa will pinch second

Derby picking up an expect them to be top 6

With Cardiff and Sheffield Utd showing no sign of stalling there’s not going to be a lot of room !!

;)

:fingerscrossed:

Not so sure about Derby. First half tonight they were clueless - better in the second but Fulham weren`t anything special. I think they`re more inconsistent than their results suggest.

Two defeats from 17 games - the least number of loses all in the Championship so far.

If, and it is a big if, City can continue putting in the same level of performances then surely we must be in with a serious chance of promotion either automatic or via the pray-offs. 

That said, still another 29 games to go.

32 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Still think Villa will pinch second

Derby picking up an expect them to be top 6

With Cardiff and Sheffield Utd showing no sign of stalling there’s not going to be a lot of room !!

;)

What do you think the supporters of those 4 clubs are saying about us tho?

Least number of games lost in the Championship.

Gave Villa a very good game at AG. Battered Derby. Beat Cardiff. And the Blades fans just can't believe their eyes at the moment. A very average team on paper that's over performing similar to how we did in 07/08.

Not saying I necessarily disagree with you though. Villa in particular will come on strong I'm sure.

47 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Perhaps the best thing you could say about today's performance was that despite being at far from our best, we were still better than a Wednesday side who are 9th and have just been coming into a bit of form.

Defensively we have improved ten-fold on last season,with the only obvious weakness of Magnússon today. Our away form has also improved ten-fold on last season. I feared the worst after an abysmal display at Griffin Park back in August but skip forward to the performances at Ipswich and again today (the ones I've seen but obviously put S'land and Fulham it the mix too) and we can now competently contain teams for long periods if we need to whilst still looking a threat going forward. Brownhill, O'Dowda and Djuric all worthy of a special mention  today. 

As of now, play-offs are very much an achievable goal for us IMO. We have strength in depth, score goals, can defend and can play a bit too when given the opportunity. There also appears to be a great team spirit that as we saw in 2006-08 and in 2015 is key to any successful City side. 

Top two cannot be ruled out at this stage either. There, I said it. Wolves are the outstanding team in this division (and we gave them a fright up there despite them being excellent on the night) but beyond them I don't see another strong contender, at the moment. We should fear neither Sheffield U, who are riding the crest of a wave, nor the sheep shaggers.

All in all, good times. Well done LJ, DH and my boy Jamie Mac ;). I can now say beyond doubt that lessons have been learnt after last season and we certainly* won't be in a relegation scrap.

Take a bow, boys :clapping:

*well, almost certainly! 

I agree. Today's performance was a coming of age. They never really looked in any kind of trouble. Sure Sheff Wed had spells, they are a good team. 

That investment in these young player's, the backing and trust LJ has shown in them, has totally paid off. 

We are most certainly contenders. They have set their own standards and you can see a togetherness. 

It should be pointed out that you could see LJ's tactics today. He and his team got it spot on. 

Could have taken all 3. But it was a professional away performance and it warms my heart to see this group of players doing well. 

As a group they have tasted adversity and it seems to have galvanized them.

Very happy tonight 

Stevo 

• Admin
7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Two defeats from 17 games - the least number of loses all in the Championship so far.

If, and it is a big if, City can continue putting in the same level of performances then surely we must be in with a serious chance of promotion either automatic or via the pray-offs. 

That said, still another 29 games to go.

As one of life’s natural pessimists, I’ll be satisfied when we get to 50 points and most likely avoid relegation, once that happens, there will be the expectation that we’ll be pipped for mid table, once that is surpassed, the playoffs might seem possible and so on.....

Being a pessimist is great, I’m never disappointed and sometimes, surprised and elated!

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Least number of games lost in the Championship.

Gave Villa a very good game at AG. Battered Derby. Beat Cardiff. And the Blades fans just can't believe their eyes at the moment. A very average team on paper that's over performing similar to how we did in 07/08.

Not saying I necessarily disagree with you though. Villa in particular will come on strong I'm sure.

Agree with that Kid

I do keep thinking if we weren’t City fans we’d be looking at us as contenders 

12 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Agree with that Kid

I do keep thinking if we weren’t City fans we’d be looking at us as contenders 

This got me intrigued so I had a quick look around. The Wolves forum has a thread the season so far. One of the questions is who do you see as our biggest rivals? A few are saying us  "Sheffield United and Bristol City look the two best teams other than us"   "Bristol just seem to have something about them."   But there are others saying they don't think we'll last the distance.

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Well at the time the opposing teams were saying along the likes of "Its Bristol City we should beat them!"

At the moment? Its changed to "They're overachieving they'll drop back down" Or "They're flying high but we should do 'em"

Keep playing as we are and they'll finally see us as a strong side.

NB: SOME on these forums have said we are good/tough etc, but I was just saying the general consensus, the view of the many, not the view of one or two people from each forum.

We are a very good team, no if's no but's.

These lads are going to get us into the promised land i can feel it, their attitude is fantastic, credit must goto Lee and SL too 

Hell, the fans as well and all the AG staff and their cats and dogs and their neighbours tennis partners, I dont want to get carried away, but I've never felt so proud to call myself a City fan and this will be our last ever season in the 2nd teir, good bye Championship, Hello Old Trafford, Anfield. Emirates Stadium. 

The one thing even the better teams struggle for in the Championship is consistency. There is of course a possibility we will have a bad run at some point but it is likely everyone will have a dip to one degree or another. 

But we know it will happen to everyone at some point so we need to keep on the shoulders of Sheff Utd and Cardiff so we can capitalise when they have their dip and then do everything we can to bounce back when we do get poor results - as we indeed have after Leeds

I still think it will be a tough achievement to finish top six but it is definitely achievable. I don’t think Cardiff or Sheff Utd are better teams than us so I am optimistic.

Archived