IGNORED

Tiny Penis - Groundhog Day!

kmpowell

3 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Couldn't be further from the truth. Scally's tale is straightforward, honest and transparent, just about everything Lousy Pint isn't.

City fans have an issue with him as they didn't like him publicising a series of very unpalatable truths about our less than honest conduct on several fronts.

I recall hearing over the years that there was some ill feeling between Gillingham (Paul Scally) and City, but have never understood from where it originated.

I seem to remember the Tony Pulis departure from Gillingham to City was acrimonious and resulted in legal proceedings, but I thought that was a contractual and/or personal issue between TP and PS, not between the clubs. 

Do you have any more details or links to the highlighted portion of your post?

8 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I recall hearing over the years that there was some ill feeling between Gillingham (Paul Scally) and City, but have never understood from where it originated.

I seem to remember the Tony Pulis departure from Gillingham to City was acrimonious and resulted in legal proceedings, but I thought that was a contractual and/or personal issue between TP and PS, not between the clubs. 

We were found guilty of an illigal approach as I recall. Which seemed odd, as at the time there was a well known falling out between Pulis and Scally ( won't repeat the story I heard of the reasons; as Mr Scally has very good lawers :yes: )

Still have a soft spot for Pompey to this day for taking him off our hands!!

Made SOD's reign look exciting! :P

7 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Fair shout. Pulis really spent more than any other club outside the top 4 over the course of 5 years?! That seems truly remarkable!

I think there’s a balance between entertainment and results. I’d rather get promoted playing ugly than relegated playing tiki taka....you can’t always have both. I imagine Leicester fans quite enjoyed winning the premier league not playing particularly good football. 

FWIW I’m really not a fan of Pulis, but in terms of stature he certainly did more good for Stoke than harm. 

Who said anything about tiki-taka? Not me.

My Stoke City idol is Lou Macari. Those of you old enough to remember his Stoke side would know that it could be a bit 'agricultural'. It's not about pretty football. It's about showing intention to attack rather than just trying not to lose. Macari's team would go a goal up then try for two, then three. Pulis' team would score one then spend the rest of the match with 10 men back, inviting pressure until the ultimate equaliser arrived. Hell, I've seen him defending one goal defeats against big teams because he was scared of conceding a second goal. 

4 minutes ago, Pheasant plucker said:

We were found guilty of an illigal approach as I recall. Which seemed odd, as at the time there was a well known falling out between Pulis and Scally ( won't repeat the story I heard of the reasons; as Mr Scally has very good lawers :yes: )

Still have a soft spot for Pompey to this day for taking him off our hands!!

Made SOD's reign look exciting! :P

In the back of my mind (and I have just refreshed my memory with a quick trip to WIKI), TP was sacked for gross misconduct just after their play-off final defeat to Manchester City: I never heard any further details though.

A brief PM would be appreciated if you have aspare minute.

54 minutes ago, myol'man said:

Didn't Pulis achieve the highest number of 0-0 draws during his time with us, or is that just another urban myth?

SIX 0-0 draws at home in 10 games.

Capture.PNG

8 minutes ago, myol'man said:

Moyes and Pulis were shortlisted for the City job before Moyes went to PNE. Oh what might have been?

Moyes was prepared to leave PNE to come here but the board went 3-4 against. That signalled the end of Scott Davidson as well. 

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

look at the crowds, people moan if we don't get 18k......

I was at the Colechester game, Lua Lua ripped us to peices if I recall,  team boo'd off LuaLua got a standing ovation 

Agreed, he ran us ragged that night.

Just look at the attendances v Roverzzz and the Christmas game against Luton. Tells you everything.

1 hour ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Pulis became City manager in 1999 and was, sadly, taken from us by Portsmouth in 2000. We were all so heartbroken. :noexp:

I guess that the world wide web was still in it's infancy back in 2000 because I'd heard no City news until leaving work in south Bristol one evening and hearing for the first time, on Radio Bristol the news of his departure as I was driving on the Portway, about to go under the Suspension Bridge. In the car, by myself, I cheered loudly and laughed all the way home that we were about to be compensated for losing the very worst manager I have ever witnessed at AG - and I go back to the days of Fred Ford. And that other gashead lump of shit, Lindsay Parsons went too. What a happy day!

And that other gashead lump of shit, Lindsay Parsons went too. What a happy day!

what a pure quality post. i love it

28 minutes ago, Dreamkiller said:

Who said anything about tiki-taka? Not me.

My Stoke City idol is Lou Macari. Those of you old enough to remember his Stoke side would know that it could be a bit 'agricultural'. It's not about pretty football. It's about showing intention to attack rather than just trying not to lose. Macari's team would go a goal up then try for two, then three. Pulis' team would score one then spend the rest of the match with 10 men back, inviting pressure until the ultimate equaliser arrived. Hell, I've seen him defending one goal defeats against big teams because he was scared of conceding a second goal. 

All fair comment, can’t argue with that. 

1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

You sir are truly a spoilt person. I bet as a child you wanted for nothing and always got a new bike with a soft saddle and a bell. Coco cola in the fridge and Breakaway chocolate biscuits on tap. I envy you enornously. I was lucky with a quarter of a stale rich tea biscuit washed down with water 'a la' tap and City away at Halifax.

Far from it; but I'm envious of you, Halifax away sounds like a better option..!

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

The legal proceedings were Lousy Pint Vs Scally and the court transcripts are  on record. There were no legal actions against City but Scally was rightly miffed that not only had we failed to disclose to the Gills Lousy's approach to us post his attempted blackmail of them (Lousy even claimed expenses from the Gills for his clandestine meetings with us and Stoke,) that it took a court supeona and silk's grilling for us to finally admit what had happened in our 'recruitment' of him (NB: he was never an employee owing to, you'll recall,  the great Bristol Pen Shortage,) and (here's the one thing SL still has on his conscience for refusing to disclose to shareholders,) the reasons why City underwrote Lousy's High Court action against the Gills given by that time he had left the club, had never been an employee and it was a personal action concerning his previous employment that had nothing to do with us? I did ask at the time why,  plus confirmation that Lousy had repaid any liabilities we had incurred once, tail between his legs, he took the Judge's scathing comments to heart and withdrew his action? City preferred to maintain this wasn't a shareholder matter. Not our finest moment and no wonder Scally called us out.

1 hour ago, Tomarse said:

SIX 0-0 draws at home in 10 games.

Capture.PNG

Remember it well, I moved to Worcester that summer so commuted back for every single home game, I must have been mental.

Also remember a mate christening October "month of the goal"..

For those of you trying to compare Osman to that utter****, just remember he had about a quarter of the transfer funds Pulis did and was trying to grind out results one division higher..

3 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

Am I the only one who finds it more than a little surprising that LJ never seems to be in the running for any of these jobs via the bookies? 

Esperito (Wolves), Wilder (Sheffield Utd) & Heckingbottom (Barnsley) regularly seem to of been linked with the recent vacancies but considering the job that LJ has done here, he’s never seemingly in the running.

Is this because they know LJ won’t leave here? Or because he’s just not rated as highly as the others that are linked?

I definitely don’t want LJ to leave, I just find it strange that he’s not even in the betting while other managers in a similar position are regularly linked to the vacancies.

LJ is 25/1 with Bet Victor. Same odds as Bilic, Giggsy, de Boer etc.

Van Gaal has higher odds at 33/1...

http://www.thesackrace.com/teams/west-bromwich-albion

24 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Didn't SD, as Chairman, cast the deciding vote as a favour to Tony Fawthrop, only to be shafted by the latter some months later? 

Think you mean John Laycock?

Didn't he want Pulis but was absent from the vote, or something like that?

13 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

LJ is 25/1 with Bet Victor. Same odds as Bilic, Giggsy, de Boer etc.

Van Gaal has higher odds at 33/1...

http://www.thesackrace.com/teams/west-bromwich-albion

Ah, I looked earlier & LJ wasn’t listed on BetVictor either. Looks like it’s Michael O’Neil’s for the taking anyway, still not an exactly exciting appointment for a Premier League club in my view, what’s he likely to do, just add some more Northern Irish to the squad?

29 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Think you mean John Laycock?

Didn't he want Pulis but was absent from the vote, or something like that?

You are probably correct about John Laycock - didn't Tony Fawthrop came in as one of a managing trio with Leroy Rosenior :blink:?

Re. SD and TP, it is so long ago that I forget the details (even if I ever knew them!), but I think there was also some argument at the time about appointing Peter Taylor, although there must be something wrong with my memory as I can't believe there were three candidates and TP was chosen above Peter Taylor and David Moyes. Surely not?

47 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Remember it well, I moved to Worcester that summer so commuted back for every single home game, I must have been mental.

Also remember a mate christening October "month of the goal"..

For those of you trying to compare Osman to that utter****, just remember he had about a quarter of the transfer funds Pulis did and was trying to grind out results one division higher..

I was at Uni in Plymouth and came home for 4 of those 0-0's. I could have been pissing it up all weekend with lots of lovely student lasses. But no. No I came home to watch that shite. No wonder I went all term without getting laid. 

I remember reading the announcement that Pulis had left us in the college library (free internet, as opposed to the snails pace expensive stuff at home :D) and punched the air in triumph...... 

Leading to me sheepishly exiting quick sharp due to the bemused looks from my fellow students. 

43 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

The legal proceedings were Lousy Pint Vs Scally and the court transcripts are  on record. There were no legal actions against City but Scally was rightly miffed that not only had we failed to disclose to the Gills Lousy's approach to us post his attempted blackmail of them (Lousy even claimed expenses from the Gills for his clandestine meetings with us and Stoke,) that it took a court supeona and silk's grilling for us to finally admit what had happened in our 'recruitment' of him (NB: he was never an employee owing to, you'll recall,  the great Bristol Pen Shortage,) and (here's the one thing SL still has on his conscience for refusing to disclose to shareholders,) the reasons why City underwrote Lousy's High Court action against the Gills given by that time he had left the club, had never been an employee and it was a personal action concerning his previous employment that had nothing to do with us? I did ask at the time why,  plus confirmation that Lousy had repaid any liabilities we had incurred once, tail between his legs, he took the Judge's scathing comments to heart and withdrew his action? City preferred to maintain this wasn't a shareholder matter. Not our finest moment and no wonder Scally called us out.

Many Thanks for that, and also for the fact that I have just spent a very interesting 30 minutes or so trawling through the Internet reading old articles about the case, notably one by Paul Kelso of the Guardian - https://www.theguardian.com/football/2001/apr/27/newsstory.sport1 in case anybody is interested.  

Wow. And wasn't it just a grubby case - documents stuffed down TP's sorts, alleged blackmail and even the involvement of the honourable and respected publicist, Max Clifford, birds of a feather and all that. Where is he now, by the way?

Fascinating that, just prior to agreeing with the Prosecutor's statement that, were the allegations against him true, "it would be as gross and grave a misconduct as it is possible to imagine", TP proceeds to admit "he had lied about how he received the documents when he said in a statement to his solicitors that they had been passed to him anonymously. He also admitted lying when he was asked to return "all club property" at the termination of his contract. He said he had nothing other than a car and a mobile phone, when he knew his consultant had the documents".

Given that City were apparently aware of all this at the time, not only do I share your concern that City funded TP's legal costs (and perhaps, apparently, also those of Gillingham and PS), but the question surely arises why, armed with all that knowledge, did they employ him in the first place?

Archived