IGNORED

Tiny Penis - Groundhog Day!

kmpowell

7 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Fair points Tipps but I think LJ needs to put this 'bad run waiting to happen' syndrome behind him.

LJ gets favourable publicity in the media but a solid Championship season ( without one of his awful runs) would raise his profile where it matters - in boardrooms up and down the country.

I agree & understand with what you’re saying but considering West Brom have a supposedly wealthy foreign owner, the majority of names being linked via the betting sites are just a little short of awe inspiring I’d say, I certainly wouldn’t be looking forward to the immediate future if I was a West Brom fan, from Championship managers to some that have been unemployed for a fair few years or Scottish league managers who have hardly proven themselves as talented in the past.

I would of thought that LJ would at least be as equal to the majority of the others listed. But as I said, I’m more than happy for him to stay here for a very long time to come yet.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Let's see if this excites the Baggies 

fans ! 

What's the betting it's a failed name manager or an unknown foreign coach that leads them to relegation and all that stimulating stuff .

Interesting shout that. Has McInnes' name all over it. Wonder if he'll bring foster & Pearson in to steady the ship

4 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

I agree & understand with what you’re saying but considering West Brom have a supposedly wealthy foreign owner, the majority of names being linked via the betting sites are just a little short of awe inspiring I’d say, I certainly wouldn’t be looking forward to the immediate future if I was a West Brom fan, from Championship managers to some that have been unemployed for a fair few years or Scottish league managers who have hardly proven themselves as talented in the past.

I would of thought that LJ would at least be as equal to the majority of the others listed. But as I said, I’m more than happy for him to stay here for a very long time to come yet.

We know West Brom fans love Mcinnes from his time there as a player, so he at the very least he would not be an unpopular choice.

Has he done enough in his managerial career since to be seriously considered for the job now?

That's for their board to decide, but sometimes a good fit who dispels the gloom and is a positive personality the fans want to rally behind can lift a club and make all the difference.

As for not looking forward to the future if you were a West Brom fan with the likely candidates being mooted, I suspect most will see any reasonable replacement to Pulis as an improvement and uplifting.

6 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Well he took you from being a bang average championship side to one that had firmly established itself as a premier league fixture, with what, 5(?) solid finishes under him? From an outsider’s perspective that’s significant progress, but it doesn’t fit in with the modern fan’s view in this world of instant everything. 

I like to think that if any manager took us from being perennially average to established in the top flight they’d be hailed a hero, but tbh we’d probably be no different and start expecting more. We saw after our flirt with the top flight how success breeds expectation.

Having said all that, you’ve kicked on since he left somewhat. Was he backed financially as well as Hughes? Seems since TP left you’ve made a real effort to move on from being a mid table side. 

And whilst I sympathise with the ‘entertainment’ aspect, you’re Stoke. You’re not going to progress in the Premier League trying to play like Barca are you....Leicester won the league playing on the counter attack, they wouldn’t have finished in the top half if they’d tried to outplay the bigger sides. 

Was he financially backed? Only the top 4 spent more during his time at Stoke. Hughes has probably spent more because football inflation's gone crazy since Pulis left. Having said that, our net spend in the last window was zilch.

Football's meant to be enjoyable though isn't it? There's a small minority on the Stoke and West Brom message boards who have a view that 'entertainment' shouldn't come into it. Results are all that matters. Maybe you're one of those - we can all make assumptions based on minuscule knowledge can't we.

I've supported Stoke for 43 years now. Around 25 years of that has seen us outside the top division. I've seen us getting mugged by teams in the 3rd tier. I've got no delusions of grandeur. But even in the 3rd tier, Stoke were my team and I had no intention of abandoning them. I'd made a decision during Pulis' last season with us that that would be my last. That's how it got me, along with 2,000 other supporters who'd failed to renew their season tickets towards the end of that season

Spend 10 years watching the utter dross he produces then come back and talk to me about delusions. You'll find disillusion will be nearer the word the rest of your supporters would be looking at. I'm sure you'd love it though.

28 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Well he took you from being a bang average championship side to one that had firmly established itself as a premier league fixture, with what, 5(?) solid finishes under him? From an outsider’s perspective that’s significant progress, but it doesn’t fit in with the modern fan’s view in this world of instant everything. 

I like to think that if any manager took us from being perennially average to established in the top flight they’d be hailed a hero, but tbh we’d probably be no different and start expecting more. We saw after our flirt with the top flight how success breeds expectation.

Having said all that, you’ve kicked on since he left somewhat. Was he backed financially as well as Hughes? Seems since TP left you’ve made a real effort to move on from being a mid table side. 

And whilst I sympathise with the ‘entertainment’ aspect, you’re Stoke. You’re not going to progress in the Premier League trying to play like Barca are you....Leicester won the league playing on the counter attack, they wouldn’t have finished in the top half if they’d tried to outplay the bigger sides. 

I assume you never watched City when he was in charge if you think that mid table mediocrity in the PL is enough to compensate for watching his anti football.

6 minutes ago, El Hombrecito said:

I assume you never watched City when he was in charge if you think that mid table mediocrity in the PL is enough to compensate for watching his anti football.

Thanks. Sorry for getting a bit excitable. Just hate it when I (and other Stoke supporters) get misrepresented like that. We were trudging towards matches wishing we could have gone shopping with the wife. We just wanted to see some football. 

Pulis became City manager in 1999 and was, sadly, taken from us by Portsmouth in 2000. We were all so heartbroken. :noexp:

I guess that the world wide web was still in it's infancy back in 2000 because I'd heard no City news until leaving work in south Bristol one evening and hearing for the first time, on Radio Bristol the news of his departure as I was driving on the Portway, about to go under the Suspension Bridge. In the car, by myself, I cheered loudly and laughed all the way home that we were about to be compensated for losing the very worst manager I have ever witnessed at AG - and I go back to the days of Fred Ford. And that other gashead lump of shit, Lindsay Parsons went too. What a happy day!

13 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Pulis became City manager in 1999 and was, sadly, taken from us by Portsmouth in 2000. We were all so heartbroken. :noexp:

I guess that the world wide web was still in it's infancy back in 2000 because I'd heard no City news until leaving work in south Bristol one evening and hearing for the first time, on Radio Bristol the news of his departure as I was driving on the Portway, about to go under the Suspension Bridge. In the car, by myself, I cheered loudly and laughed all the way home that we were about to be compensated for losing the very worst manager I have ever witnessed at AG - and I go back to the days of Fred Ford. And that other gashead lump of shit, Lindsay Parsons went too. What a happy day!

Didn't Pulis achieve the highest number of 0-0 draws during his time with us, or is that just another urban myth?

21 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

And I think a certain Steve Parish might share this view.

Was Alan Pardew also not involved in a fracas with Parish over contract pay offs? So that would be two managers then. Parish might just be an argumentative sod.

34 minutes ago, Dreamkiller said:

Football's meant to be enjoyable though isn't it? There's a small minority on the Stoke and West Brom message boards who have a view that 'entertainment' shouldn't come into it. Results are all that matters. Maybe you're one of those - we can all make assumptions based on minuscule knowledge can't we.

I've supported Stoke for 43 years now. Around 25 years of that has seen us outside the top division. I've seen us getting mugged by teams in the 3rd tier. I've got no delusions of grandeur. But even in the 3rd tier, Stoke were my team and I had no intention of abandoning them. I'd made a decision during Pulis' last season with us that that would be my last. That's how it got me, along with 2,000 other supporters who'd failed to renew their season tickets towards the end of that season

Spend 10 years watching the utter dross he produces then come back and talk to me about delusions. You'll find disillusion will be nearer the word the rest of your supporters would be looking at. I'm sure you'd love it though.

Good friend of mine is a Potter living abroad... Watches all their matches from afar and a few when he flies back.. Had exactly the same view about Pulis although he did not need a season ticket!

24 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Do you remember that he turned Stoke down to take the Bristol  job. At the time, and it was probably the truth, he said he'd chosen Bristol because they had more ambition.

2 minutes ago, Dreamkiller said:

Do you remember that he turned Stoke down to take the Bristol  job. At the time, and it was probably the truth, he said he'd chosen Bristol because they had more ambition.

I can't recall that. Only that we had a considerable falling out with Scally, the owner of Gillingham, regarding our recruitment of him.

6 minutes ago, CIDER NOT CIDRE said:

I live near Birmingham and my mate is a WBA fan. He dragged me down to the Hawthorns to watch West Brom vs Stoke (not a glamorous game, I know) and it was, without exception, the most boring game of football I have ever had the displeasure of watching. It truly was horrendous.

You sir are truly a spoilt person. I bet as a child you wanted for nothing and always got a new bike with a soft saddle and a bell. Coco cola in the fridge and Breakaway chocolate biscuits on tap. I envy you enornously. I was lucky with a quarter of a stale rich tea biscuit washed down with water 'a la' tap and City away at Halifax.

18 minutes ago, myol'man said:

Didn't Pulis achieve the highest number of 0-0 draws during his time with us, or is that just another urban myth?

At Stoke, with Pulis as manager, we once went on a run of 18 league games from October 2004 to February 2005 where the only scorelines were 0-0, 1-0, 0-1 or 1-1. It's known in the potteries as the binary season. It was the most dire football ever, and as far as I'm concerned, completely deliberate on the part of Pulis who was playing politics to get rid of the Icelandic owners. It's a long story. It was a long season.

3 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

You sir are truly a spoilt person. I bet as a child you wanted for nothing and always got a new bike with a soft saddle and a bell. Coco cola in the fridge and Breakaway chocolate biscuits on tap. I envy you enornously. I was lucky with a quarter of a stale rich tea biscuit washed down with water 'a la' tap and City away at Halifax.

Can't like this on my phone but the stale rich tea biscuit got me :laughcont:

56 minutes ago, Dreamkiller said:

Was he financially backed? Only the top 4 spent more during his time at Stoke. Hughes has probably spent more because football inflation's gone crazy since Pulis left. Having said that, our net spend in the last window was zilch.

Fair shout. Pulis really spent more than any other club outside the top 4 over the course of 5 years?! That seems truly remarkable!

I think there’s a balance between entertainment and results. I’d rather get promoted playing ugly than relegated playing tiki taka....you can’t always have both. I imagine Leicester fans quite enjoyed winning the premier league not playing particularly good football. 

FWIW I’m really not a fan of Pulis, but in terms of stature he certainly did more good for Stoke than harm. 

14 minutes ago, RaspberryRed said:

True but the standard and style of football is utter shite

Some fans only care about results. The same one's who'd have no problem with Warnock being City manager.

Not for me though.

Pulis will get another job though.

2 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

If they want to go down then they may as well give him a go.

Typical Scottish journalists bigging one of their own to be the saviour for one of the English clubs.

Disastourous record with us at a lower level than WBA currently are. I would think that no Premiership team would touch him for that reason.

Archived