IGNORED

Hi Ho Silver Lining at Hillsborough

RedRobin13

3 minutes ago, RedRobin13 said:

They blared this out yesterday just before the game kicked off and honestly it gave me goosebumps! 

What are people’s thoughts on introducing something similar at Ashton Gate?

I know people like the atmosphere building up naturally but couldn’t the two be combined?

Always good Away from Home. Most of the Away fans are already in the ground waiting. As for home games people don’t normally start piling in until about 2.55 . Plus you got to listen to the shit music they blast out . Days off the pre forest kick off unfortunately are long gone 

16 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Always good Away from Home. Most of the Away fans are already in the ground waiting. As for home games people don’t normally start piling in until about 2.55 . Plus you got to listen to the shit music they blast out . Days off the pre forest kick off unfortunately are long gone 

That’s what I mean. 

Yesterday they played it literally as the teams were doing their warm ups and getting in to the huddles.

Understand it won’t be to everyone’s tastes!

14 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Detested that song ever since Wembley 2000. Used to quite like it as a singalong prior to that.

Couldn't agree more. At 16 it was my first moment of thinking that there are some people at the club that didn't really understand football.

6 minutes ago, Southstandoriginal said:

Any attempts to stage manage atmosphere tends to fail.  Remember our last promotion celebration against Coventry? Now stay in your seats and join in with these carefully selected songs that we are going to play.  Crap frankly.

Brighton away last season was hilarious though, they looked like utter chumps with their ‘champions’ scarves and then the confetti cannons having to be surreptitiously edged away from the pitch.

Thats why fake stuff should be ditched, when it goes wrong you look utter dicks.

3 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

On a similar note.

Rememer when they used to play James Brown when we scored?

At least once the song was played only for the goal to be disallowed 

Northampton (H) - Scott Davidson hired in a massive new PA system with promise of buying it if it was a success. Was never seen again 

If you start a movement that enough fans get behind, you can pretty much create whatever atmosphere you want. You just need enough fans to buy into it.

This was atletico last year, champions league group stage.

I doeant happen to that level every game but It doesn't happen by accident either!!

As people above have said, hearing it played at Wembley that day, made me hate it.

28 minutes ago, marmite said:

Big no from me. I remember at Wembley when they tried to get us to sing it against Stokes'  "Delilah". That was the first defeat that day! :facepalm: No-one new more than about 4 words to it. Hated it ever since.

When Stoke sang Delilah that day it literally hurt my ears it was so loud. 

When they played Hi effin Ho for us, the Stokies  jeered us, and rightly so. We were humiliated.

Did anyone from our lot ever own up to that howler?

30 minutes ago, 42nite said:

When they played Hi effin Ho for us, the Stokies  jeered us, and rightly so. We were humiliated.

It was some guy who was one of our suits at the time (surname Gould maybe? Bobbys son even?).

A few days before the game he applied to the League that if we won, the City Cat mascot could be presented with the trophy rather than our Captain. It was thrown out thankfully. Something to do with appealing to kids.

Before the game Wembley made a big deal on the tannoy of playing both clubs anthems. Stoke had Delilah, and once they were done it was announced that the Bristol City anthem was next. Everyone was expecting Drink Up Thy Cider and ready for it, when all of a sudden on came Hi Ho Silver Lining. Most City fans spent the whole song looking at each other saying "What the blathering ****?". Once again, it was his idea of 'family friendliness'.

I would even go so far as to say the 'champagne' kit with blue in it was his fault too, but no evidence for that one.

The guy was truly clueless and it was a blessing the day he left us.

2 minutes ago, 42nite said:

When they played High effin Ho for us, the Stokies  jeered us, and rightly so. We were humiliated.

Don't think anyone ever did.

Who exactly at AG would have been liaising with Wembley when the message came through?

'Hello, Wembley here, just finalising the pre match songs. Stoke have asked for their supporters' favourite Delilah and they're going to make one hell of a racket. Which song special to Bristol City would you like us to play just before the final to represent Bristol City F.C. and really rouse City supporters to sing their hearts out and get the best possible atmosphere?'

Anonymous completely out of touch BCFC representative: 'Not sure, difficult one, probably the famous Wolves song, Hi Ho Silver Lining'

Mmm, well OK, if you're sure. Not 'Drink up thee Zider' then?

Anonymous completely out of touch BCFC representative: 'No, let's settle on the Wolves song Hi Ho Silver Lining. I like it, it's jolly and it should really get a few day tripping families smiling and singing along.' 

14 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

It was some guy who was one of our suits at the time (surname Gould maybe? Bobbys son even?).

A few days before the game he applied to the League that if we won, the City Cat mascot could be presented with the trophy rather than our Captain. It was thrown out thankfully. Something to do with appealing to kids.

Before the game Wembley made a big deal on the tannoy of playing both clubs anthems. Stoke had Delilah, and once they were done it was announced that the Bristol City anthem was next. Everyone was expecting Drink Up Thy Cider and ready for it, when all of a sudden on came Hi Ho Silver Lining. Most City fans spent the whole song looking at each other saying "What the blathering ****?". Once again, it was his idea of 'family friendliness'.

I would even go so far as to say the 'champagne' kit with blue in it was his fault too, but no evidence for that one.

That whole day was a bit of a mess really but I'm staggered to learn that it might have been worse.  The trophy being presented to the City Cat!!!  Let that sink in for a moment. We dodged a bullet there!

19 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

I'd forgotten about his request that the mascot picked up the trophy.

What on early was he thinking?

Players might get to a Wembley final once in a career and for a captain to be denied the chance to raise a cup would have been criminal.

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

On a similar note.

Rememer when they used to play James Brown when we scored?

At least once the song was played only for the goal to be disallowed 

Yeah I remember that, embarrassing. 

I FEEL GOOOD” :facepalm:

On the subject of Hi Ho Silver Lining, I remember a pre season friendly in the mid 90s when, before playing HHSL over the tannoy for the first time, the bloke on the PA told us how we should sing along to it :blink:

Im sure I remember it being used before games in the mid 90s. No wonder attendances dropped.

It`s a loser`s song and always has been. Like many others I cringed at Wembley when some clown decided it was `our` song. Wasn`t it around the time we had a poll to ask what City should run out to? IIRC the outright winner was `Daydream Believer` but the club wouldn`t wear it due to us changing the words so they just said `One For The Bristol City` had won.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

a It's a Wolves song, always has been, and a very annoying one at that.

God knows why Sheffield Wednesday would stoop to play it.

No association whatsoever with BCFC and should never be heard at Ashton Gate.

Not really in some circles back in the eighties it was on a compilation tape played on the naughty coaches and vans on dodgy tape recorders played alongside Tom Thumb drink up thy cider I am cider drinker day dream believer and Bristol punk bands. that was the soundtrack to endless away games.

Reckon this bloke  http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-rovers-president-wael-al-795571 should introduce a club song so he can judge & or demonstrate the level of support he has from the Gas faithful.... 

I'm sure most of them would join in and sing along in their 'tens of thousands' if they adopted and  played ....

The Glitter Band's ... 'Do You Wanna Be In My Gang?' ..  anthem  pre match at The Mem.   

Archived