IGNORED

Hi Ho Silver Lining at Hillsborough

RedRobin13

4 hours ago, Southstandoriginal said:

Any attempts to stage manage atmosphere tends to fail.  Remember our last promotion celebration against Coventry? Now stay in your seats and join in with these carefully selected songs that we are going to play.  Crap frankly.

Shouldn't that be "clap"?

2 hours ago, richwwtk said:

I would even go so far as to say the 'champagne' kit with blue in it was his fault too, but no evidence for that one.

The guy was truly clueless and it was a blessing the day he left us.

Richard Gould, and yes I believe he was the brains behind the piss coloured kit, the theory being that people would buy it because it went well with blue jeans. 

I think he also brokered the deal with one of the world's finest kit manufacturers, TFG.

Now chief executive at Surrey Cricket Club, incredibly. 

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

So what is our Club anthem?

I'm lost these days...

Red Red Robin...

One for the Bristol City...

Drink up ye Zider?

I'm actually embarrassed I have to ask.

Most games I'd say it was 'Stand up if you hate the gas'...it's become that lost.

And the answer is.......................................................................................................... Anybody?????

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

So what is our Club anthem?

I'm lost these days...

Red Red Robin...

One for the Bristol City...

Drink up ye Zider?

I'm actually embarrassed I have to ask.

Most games I'd say it was 'Stand up if you hate the gas'...it's become that lost.

the only song we sing nowadays is that awful ole ole ole ole shite......every 5 mins an all

25 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

Richard Gould, and yes I believe he was the brains behind the piss coloured kit, the theory being that people would buy it because it went well with blue jeans. 

I think he also brokered the deal with one of the world's finest kit manufacturers, TFG.

Now chief executive at Surrey Cricket Club, incredibly. 

Presumably where they play Hi Ho Silver Lining at every gams and are decked out in Yellow & Blue.

23 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

the only song we sing nowadays is that awful ole ole ole ole shite......every 5 mins an all

I love it when I hear other grounds and fans singing their 'Anthem'...it's part of a Clubs tradition...the glue that holds it together.

Whether we like it or not, we have become very plastic on that front.

Everything seems to be manufactured or structured.

1 minute ago, spudski said:

I love it when I hear other grounds and fans singing their 'Anthem'...it's part of a Clubs tradition...the glue that holds it together.

Have we ever really had one though? We`ve never had anything like `On The Ball City`, `Marching On Together`, `Delilah`, The Eton Boating Song`, `Keep Right On To The End Of The Road` or any song that tells you immediately who the team are.

2 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Have we ever really had one though? We`ve never had anything like `On The Ball City`, `Marching On Together`, `Delilah`, The Eton Boating Song`, `Keep Right On To The End Of The Road` or any song that tells you immediately who the team are.

One for the Bristol City and Drink up ye Zider...have been sung more often in the past, and were our own. Even the bloomin Gas have one.

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

Your first sentence sums it up for me, especially where the song is random and unique to that club but is rousing and sticks with the club, however I don't think hi ho silver lining is unique to Wednesday, so is a bit sad.

4 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

On a similar note.

Rememer when they used to play James Brown when we scored?

At least once the song was played only for the goal to be disallowed 

I think that was the Manchester City home game in 2007, when we had what would have been a last minute equaliser disallowed. The music went on for about 10 seconds after the goal had been disallowed and was embarrassing!

2 hours ago, Three Lions said:

Not really in some circles back in the eighties it was on a compilation tape played on the naughty coaches and vans on dodgy tape recorders played alongside Tom Thumb drink up thy cider I am cider drinker day dream believer and Bristol punk bands. that was the soundtrack to endless away games.

It had already been well established as Wolves' favourite song - the big one just before KO - for many years when I followed City to Molineux and heard it in Jan. 78.

There's a huge difference between City fans bellowing it out on a football coach, amongst many other football songs, to associating it as a Bristol City song.

It's no more a City song than a Rovers song - there was a weekly competition for rival fans to outsing each other when it was played at Tiffany's in the 70's.

As a club blessed with so many original songs of our own there's no need to copy songs so strongly associated with other clubs. Playing it at Wembley, and the damp squib that followed, remains acutely embarrassing for everyone connected to BCFC to this day. 

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

It had already been well established as Wolves' favourite song - the big one just before KO - for many years when I followed City to Molineux and heard it in Jan. 78.

There's a huge difference between City fans bellowing it out on a football coach, amongst many other football songs, to associating it as a Bristol City song.

It's no more a City song than a Rovers song - there was a weekly competition for rival fans to outsing each other when it was played at Tiffany's in the 70's.

As a club blessed with so many original songs of our own there's no need to copy songs so strongly associated with other clubs. Playing it at Wembley, and the damp squib that followed, remains acutely embarrassing for everyone connected to BCFC to this day. 

The absolute worst of that day was standing on the terraces at the end totally dejected with about twenty pissed up City day trippers behind me singing along with Delilah at the tops of their voices. :blink:

5 hours ago, richwwtk said:

Detested that song ever since Wembley 2000. Used to quite like it as a singalong prior to that.

Mate of mine who's been watching since 1967 (the year Hi ho was first released) reckons he's never seen City win if he hears that tune before kick off.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

This has always been a bugbear of mine , only last week I tried to start a thread  re pre match music , ,  As you say EVERY CLUB GROUND HAS A ANTHEM  except BRISTOL CITY     Why ?

27 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

No idea about Wolves. It was a song that City fans have sang along to and was played at Ashton Gate and on coaches and vans following the club nearly forty years ago. So it does have an association with City fans. not the best not the worst. the tape it was on used to get songs added to it and played as the cider kicked in as the coach etc landed in wherever City played as a laugh and to raise the atmosphere. one of the later added to the tape was Tom Thumb which became part of the enclosure and its  Casuals from 83-4 onwards. friggin in the riggin never did take off!! 

For me, and this is going back many years now, it was 'When the Red, Red Robins', although this transpired to 'Drink Up Thee Cider' in the mid-1960s and has remained so ever since.

Going off at a slight tangent, 'You'll Never Walk Alone' has been synonymous with Liverpool ever since they used to play the Gerry and the Pacemakers classic prior to kick-off, also back in the mid-1960s, but does anybody recognise (or think they do :whistle:) the former City player at 14 seconds and then again at 1m.23 seconds in the following link?   

Archived