IGNORED

Hi Ho Silver Lining at Hillsborough

RedRobin13

7 hours ago, RedRobin13 said:

They blared this out yesterday just before the game kicked off and honestly it gave me goosebumps! 

What are people’s thoughts on introducing something similar at Ashton Gate?

I know people like the atmosphere building up naturally but couldn’t the two be combined?

Makes me cringe can see Rod Hull and Emu singing it

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

For me, and this is going back many years now, it was 'When the Red, Red Robins', although this transpired to 'Drink Up Thee Cider' in the mid-1960s and has remained so ever since.

Going off at a slight tangent, 'You'll Never Walk Alone' has been synonymous with Liverpool ever since they used to play the Gerry and the Pacemakers classic prior to kick-off, also back in the mid-1960s, but does anybody recognise (or think they do :whistle:) the former City player at 14 seconds and then again at 1m.23 seconds in the following link?   

Sign on, Sign on, with hope in your heart and you'll never work again, you'll never work again...

Sang at Liverpool/Everton whenever they played at AG (and probably every other away ground)

Hi ho silver lining the staple of every school disco in the 70's, as was flagons of Cider.

I’ve always liked  Hi Ho Silver Lining just as a Seventies classic. I don’t associate with football at all - not been to enough Wolves games obviously - or any particular team.

I used to enjoy the Red Red Robin when it was played at AG, but Drink Up Thee Cider is surely established as our anthem now? Quite right too.

We use the City coat of arms, how about the City motto?

Virtute et industria could well be adapted.

Adge did it, why not us?

Now we be Bristol kiddies, we comes from Bristol City, where all the boys is ansome and all the girls is pretty, weem proud of our ome town, it never lets us down

An we got this little motto, we sings up Bemmy Down,  ohhh

Virtute et industrial three cheers for Novers ill,  if the City don't win Saturday the Saggies never will

Etc.

Added bonus is that it isn't easy to sing fast!!!

9 minutes ago, 42nite said:

Adge did it, why not us?

Now we be Bristol kiddies, we comes from Bristol City, where all the boys is ansome and all the girls is pretty, weem proud of our ome town, it never lets us down

Virtute et industrial three cheers for Novers ill,  if the City don't win Saturday the Saggies never will

Etc.

Seconded!

13 hours ago, 42nite said:

When Stoke sang Delilah that day it literally hurt my ears it was so loud. 

When they played Hi effin Ho for us, the Stokies  jeered us, and rightly so. We were humiliated.

Did anyone from our lot ever own up to that howler?

In all the playoff finals / Cup finals I’ve attended with City I’ve always been bitterly disappointed with the lack of atmosphere from our lot (I couldn’t make it to the Brighton game in Cardiff in 04 so can’t speak to that).

I get the day tripper factor but it’s by no means unique to us - Huddersfield must’ve had a fair few bandwagon jumpers last May and they were fantastic all game.

The JPT Final v Walsall was deathly quiet until injury time - I’ve heard us make a much better din during a final-day dead rubber at Wigan.

Carlisle at the Millennium was the worst - not only did we outnumber them approximately 4:1 but they must’ve had to get up at about 4am that morning - yet they out-shouted us all game.

4 hours ago, 42nite said:

Adge did it, why not us?

Etc.

Be great if we could get some of the obscurer Wurzels songs sung! Virtue et Industrial is a personal favourite.

On ‎19‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 14:11, Bristol Rob said:

On a similar note.

Rememer when they used to play James Brown when we scored?

At least once the song was played only for the goal to be disallowed 

I liked the "I feel good" then again I'm a massive fan of the hardest working man in show business, the Godfather of Soul, Mr Dolomite!

Oh I wish he was still alive today. . . .

I have no objection to an anthem being played if we can agree on one. When the Red Red Robin sounds dated now, so I’d go for Drink up thee Zider As it’s simple to learn. You’ll never get the singers to do Virtute et Industrial, industrial has 4 syllables!

As for Hi ho, I always feel for Jeff Beck whenever it’s played. One of Britain’s finest ever guitarists and yet he’s best known for that atypical trash. 

58 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I have no objection to an anthem being played if we can agree on one. When the Red Red Robin sounds dated now, so I’d go for Drink up thee Zider As it’s simple to learn. You’ll never get the singers to do Virtute et Industrial, industrial has 4 syllables!

As for Hi ho, I always feel for Jeff Beck whenever it’s played. One of Britain’s finest ever guitarists and yet he’s best known for that atypical trash. 

No Idea why drink up thy zider isn't played, song I most associate with City.

5 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

So they actually played this pre match last night. Went down like a lead balloon because it was played  about 20 minutes before kick off, not just before the players came out, when the fans are at their most excited. Still think it's naff anyway.

Was really hoping they weren't gonna cut it out, thankfully they didn't but its such a crap attempt at building atmosphere.

On 22/11/2017 at 14:30, The Horse With No Name said:

So they actually played this pre match last night. Went down like a lead balloon because it was played  about 20 minutes before kick off, not just before the players came out, when the fans are at their most excited. Still think it's naff anyway.

They play this and we lose 2-1  every time,stop playing it !

Archived