IGNORED

Flint & Baker

Donkeeebles

3 hours ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

The back 4 are playing well but was only 2 seasons ago 3 of our current back 4 were playing together and we were leaking goals for fun. 

Maybe its 2 seasons more experience or they’ve improved over time, just get a little nervous that the form of 2 years could return.

Maybe they are finally getting the protection any defence must have 

1 hour ago, cityexile said:

Well, yes, but it is very tight. We have conceded 16, and the others 16, 15, 15, 15 and 13 (the best by Cardiff). The top six are the best 6 defensively, which says something I suppose. It is also about shape, how you defend as a team etc. 

I think we play pretty progressively, which maybe puts more pressure on the back line. We are certainly up there. Also worth adding we let in three against Leeds when we had Flint and Hegeler together.

You forgot Brum. So  5 of those goals were conceded in the 2 games where hegeler was playing cb. The only 2 games we have lost. Shows the importance of a good centre back pairing 

1 hour ago, cheshire_red said:

Baker has improved considerably since his loan, down to the Premiership experience last season? I don't think it is just coincidence that our improved defensive performances, towards the end of last season and then in to this, follows the promotion of Jamie Mac to the first team coaching staff.

Villa weren't in the Premiership last season

4 hours ago, OldlandReddies said:

Just think where we would be if both Flint and Magners went in the window. Crazy to think we were prepared to let them go. The luck has truely been with us so far this season.

Well the luck would really have been with us, if we had kept Ayling. Now that would be a back four. 5 Live were purring about him today.

I think Lee Johnson will be faced with an interesting yet difficult conundrum/decision when Eros Pisano returns to fitness early next year.

EP, when fit, would seem to be our best right back, but Bailey Wright has deputised magnificently in his absence, and has been an important part of a strong back four.

BW, of course, is Club Captain, and is also a strong central defender. Five in to four won't go, and the left back, assuming LJ sticks with a back four, will surely remain either Joe Bryan or HM. So, it would seem two from BW, AF and NB.

Decisions, decisions, or will LJ be saved by the transfer window and somebody's millions for AF?  

Defensively I think I prefer Wright and Baker. Both get more into players with ball into feet which I think is more of what you get in the league. Prevents teams playing against us though I will concede Flint has done well against these teams as well this season for the most part. 

Where you can’t replace Flint is his prowess on set pieces. Wright does an acceptable job for his size marking bigger forwards but neither he nor Baker threatens on set pieces. We simply carry more of a threat to score with Flint on the pitch which with Milan and Famara injuries is invaluable. 

As for best pairing in the league? I would say Baker plus one of the other two would be near the top if not the best. It is hard to say anymore with many teams opting for 3 at the back. Wolves have some strong central defenders as do Reading and Cardiff. 

6 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I think Lee Johnson will be faced with an interesting yet difficult conundrum/decision when Eros Pisano returns to fitness early next year.

EP, when fit, would seem to be our best right back, but Bailey Wright has deputised magnificently in his absence, and has been an important part of a strong back four.

BW, of course, is Club Captain, and is also a strong central defender. Five in to four won't go, and the left back, assuming LJ sticks with a back four, will surely remain either Joe Bryan or HM. So, it would seem two from BW, AF and NB.

Decisions, decisions, or will LJ be saved by the transfer window and somebody's millions for AF?  

I noticed that BW  played at right back for Australia in the recent games, which helps. Having a player like him around allows others to be rested or replaced during suspensions.

10 hours ago, Pezo said:

Data doesn't lie and we have conceded the joint most goals in top 6.

5 of those were conceded in the two games with Hegeler at CB. That's nearly a third of all our goals for the season!

I was convinced at the time that the 3-0 against Leeds wouldn't have happened if Baker had been playing. Not saying we would've won as we were having an off day, but no way would we have been so soft with him in the side. 

14 hours ago, Robbored said:

Both Baker and Flint are huge guys and facing them must be like facing  brick wall. That said, if the opposition can get Flint isolated then he lacks the skill on the deck as we saw against Brum last season. Baker is a better ball player and they compliment each other's game.

With Bryan at LB and Wright/Pisaro at RB City have a very decent back four. Put Pack in front of them and that adds to the defensive  unit. Hörður on the bench in case of injury or suspension.

LJ clearly knows the strengths and weaknesses of all his players and sets up accordingly. He's beginning to reverse the view of some fans who claimed that he didn't have a clue what he was doing.

prefer magners lb and Bryan in front of him at lm

21 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Certainly not many. 

Possibly Terry & Samba..? 

AF & NB both have much longer left in the game than that pairing though. 

It will be really interesting to see if Flint’s head is still turned, or if he realises how good he’s got it here. 

There's a reason Samba was taken off at HT against us, because he is a donkey! 

20 hours ago, hodge said:

It also means we've conceded the joint 5th least in the division, only 1 more than tied 2nd. 

Absolutely but we are discussing if they are the best pair. I think there is a fair argument that Baker is the best central defenders in the league and that Flint is probably in the top 8 which certainly makes for a strong partnership.

On 19/11/2017 at 18:59, wayne allisons tongues said:

The back 4 are playing well but was only 2 seasons ago 3 of our current back 4 were playing together and we were leaking goals for fun. 

Maybe its 2 seasons more experience or they’ve improved over time, just get a little nervous that the form of 2 years could return.

Does also help that we don't have either defensive liabilities in Little/Matthews to choose from as the RB anymore

Archived