IGNORED

Charting out the season

redsapper

When reading through the Sheffield Weds forum I saw a chart comparing their last 3 seasons. Against the Average Automatic Promotion, Play-off and relegation over the last 5 seasons.

I thought it was a good idea so have done one showing last season and this season against the last five seasons Averages  5a120398cfecf_CityStats.thumb.jpg.38b506faff52a2177b960571a64ebf77.jpg

38 minutes ago, SteelCityRobin said:

Might be interesting to see if we could do something like this for city. 

Why?           :dunno:

We all know that each season is different to the previous one and comparing one to another is a pretty futile exercise. It suggests/proves nothing.

Players change, managers often change, opposition teams change and therefore there's no nothing comparable to the previous season.

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

We all know that each season is different to the previous one and comparing one to another is a pretty futile exercise. It suggests/proves nothing.

Players change, managers often change, opposition teams change and therefore there's no nothing comparable to the previous season.

I disagree with you 100%

If that helps, that's exactly how I felt last season, and the season before....

1 hour ago, redsapper said:

When reading through the Sheffield Weds forum I saw a chart comparing their last 3 seasons. Against the Average Automatic Promotion, Play-off and relegation over the last 5 seasons.

I thought it was a good idea so have done one showing last season and this season against the last five seasons Averages  5a120398cfecf_CityStats.thumb.jpg.38b506faff52a2177b960571a64ebf77.jpg

So we're on course for the average points to win the league but in 4th place, hopefully the others drop off the pace. 

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

However you can compare against averages of previous years as seen with this graph. Averages may not give the exact number for promotion/ pay offs etc but won't be far off. 

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

.The poster didn't claim that it proved anything just that it would be interesting and I agree. 

In addition the second part of his sentence referred non-comparative data.

13 minutes ago, hodge said:

So we're on course for the average points to win the league but in 4th place, hopefully the others drop off the pace. 

However you can compare against averages of previous years as seen with this graph. Averages may not give the exact number for promotion/ pay offs etc but won't be far off. 

It's completely meaningless. There are numerous variables between one season and the next.

For example - who would have predicted via stats that City would be where we are this time last season? 

Answer - no-one.............:facepalm:

25 minutes ago, Robbored said:

To answer your question....Nothing better to do!

which accounts for 95% of the posters on here, the other 5% have better things to do but can't be arsed!

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

It's completely meaningless. There are numerous variables between one season and the next.

For example - who would have predicted via stats that City would be where we are this time last season? 

Its a comparison of our current points tally against the average points required over the last 5 seasons for play offs and promotion. It shows we're now 6 games away from a point where last season and this season can be compared. It also shows that we're on course for the average points total required for promotion over the last 5 seasons and our current ppg average would see us finish over 10 points above the average required for a play off finish. Even when you account for each season being different if we finish 10 points above the average required for finishing in the play offs and don't make it then you're looking at what would be an incredible outliner.  

23 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It’s not pretending to be the answer to anything, it’s simply some stats.

Dont get so upset.

31 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I swear around half your posts are you going into a thread you apparently have no interest in, saying why its a waste of time or not interesting in the slightest.  Even though they are clearly interesting to others. Maybe just go in threads you are interested in.

2 hours ago, redsapper said:

Fabulous Thanks for doing this. 

7 hours ago, hodge said:

Its a comparison of our current points tally against the average points required over the last 5 seasons for play offs and promotion. It shows we're now 6 games away from a point where last season and this season can be compared. It also shows that we're on course for the average points total required for promotion over the last 5 seasons and our current ppg average would see us finish over 10 points above the average required for a play off finish. Even when you account for each season being different if we finish 10 points above the average required for finishing in the play offs and don't make it then you're looking at what would be an incredible outliner.  

:sleeping:   Z z z z z z z z z   :fastasleep:

8 hours ago, REDOXO said:

To answer your question....Nothing better to do!

which accounts for 95% of the posters on here, the other 5% have better things to do but can't be arsed!

I sometimes wonder why some posters come up with so say 'interesting ' stats that are completely and utterly useless.........:facepalm: but you've hit the nail on the head there Red.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I sometimes wonder why some posters come up with so say 'interesting ' stats that are completely and utterly useless.........:facepalm: but you've hit the nail on the head there Red.

I sometimes wonder why some poster come up with comments that are completely and utterly useless, but you still do it @Robbored

58 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Did you ever have much luck steering the alcoholics you once worked with away from alcohol, or did you find them frustratingly, bafflingly, determined to continue getting sh1tfaced 24/7? 

10 hours ago, Robbored said:

It’s just as true to say there are numerous variables from match to match in any season.

its impossible to accurately predict match results next week, so shall stop speculating about them? Nobody can say what the league standings will be in May, so by your arguments we may as well not think about them.

Would you like us just to close down the forum altogether, or perhaps you could just volunteer to leave?

10 hours ago, Robbored said:

Why all know that, on the odd occasion, you can contribute valuably to a conversation or debate. 

So for once why don’t you stop playing the pantomime villain and use your head a bit?

9 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Why all know that, on the odd occasion, you can contribute valuably to a conversation or debate. 

So for once why don’t you stop playing the pantomime villain and use your head a bit?

I think its jealousy. He cannot compete in terms of knowledge with some on here so playing the pantomime villain is the only way he gets attention. 

11 hours ago, Robbored said:

It gives you something to aim for? And it does show that City are making positive progress- Being that was all most of us asked for at the beginning of the season I'd say that these sort of charts are pretty relevant.

56 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Also demonstrates just how high Wolves are flying at the moment. 38 from 17!? 2.24ppg!? 7 points above the average for auto at this stage of this season!?

Must be an awful lot of teams jealous of our away point against them.

What a result that looks like now.

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Also demonstrates just how high Wolves are flying at the moment. 38 from 17!? 2.24ppg!? 7 points above the average for auto at this stage of this season!?

Must be an awful lot of teams jealous of our away point against them.

Their current ppg would see them behind only Reading's 106 in 05/06 from the previous 13 seasons. 

1 hour ago, cider-manc said:

It gives you something to aim for? And it does show that City are making positive progress- Being that was all most of us asked for at the beginning of the season I'd say that these sort of charts are pretty relevant.

We don't need a chart to know what the club are aiming for and neither does LJ.

At the start of every season the aim - for all clubs is to finish as high up as possible.

City are doing pretty well so far and if we are still in the frame come Feb/March then the aim wil become promotion.

It ain't rocket science ffs........:facepalm:

Archived