IGNORED

Not sure whether to laugh or cry?

phantom

8 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Imo football should be almost no holds barred. No racism, homophobia, or sexism obviously, but should be an opportunity to burn off a weeks stress.

In fairness, I have often found that gesture is the perfect remedy to a weeks stress.

Although the checkout girl in Tesco didn't quite see my point of view when there was an unexpected item in the bagging area.

8 minutes ago, eastonboy said:

In fairness, I have often found that gesture is the perfect remedy to a weeks stress.

Although the checkout girl in Tesco didn't quite see my point of view when there was an unexpected item in the bagging area.

I hate when that happens

9 hours ago, ColeCiderRed said:

Personally not offended but where does the buck stop.

The initial John Terry complaint with Anton Ferdinand came from a supporter in the crowd. He heard the alleged abuse and that sparked the investigation.

Just wondered if you think there are levels in which a blind eye should be turned to lesser offences?

As I say a masturbatory hand signal does not offend me but may others. Is it subjective or PC gone bleeding mad?

What a great expression!

Guess the possibility for this to be offensive all depends on the intensity of hand movement, facial expression to accompany the hand signal, and the proximity to the groin region!!!

I probably use this gesture myself at every game, and that's usually to stop my dad spouting his usual crap.

• Admin
12 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I don’t believe this for a second. 

IF it’s true, then every stadium in the country will be half empty (emptier) by next week. 

Even Rovers’ car park will have space! 

@Bar BS3 Sadly 100% true - the account is Amanda Jacks from the FSF

5 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

Whilst this complaint is utterly ridiculous and should be stopped immediately, I’ve never actually seen the point of people making the gesture, it’s not like they’re gonna see you, or even if they did, react to it, so I really don’t get why people do it at football.

If you were having an argument with someone face to face then I could kind of understand (even though it’s a childish gesture in my opinion) but to do it at football, where the person it’s aimed at won’t see it, seems pointless really. 

But the fun part @Dollymarie is when you bump into said person outside the ground :boxing:

11 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

That font is worth a banning order.

There is good reason, the wife struggles to read Twitter over my shoulder with this font :ph34r:

In one of his cartoons in the Guardian a few years ago, Steve Bell had Gordon Brown asking a woman in a burkha "Are you making the international sign of the manual manipulator at me?", and I always liked the concept of it being 'an international sign'.  Saw a mate of mine on his feet in the Dolman giving said sign to opponents a couple of seasons ago, and he's a senior lecturer in Psychology at a local University...

2 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

In one of his cartoons in the Guardian a few years ago, Steve Bell had Gordon Brown asking a woman in a burkha "Are you making the international sign of the manual manipulator at me?", and I always liked the concept of it being 'an international sign'.  Saw a mate of mine on his feet in the Dolman giving said sign to opponents a couple of seasons ago, and he's a senior lecturer in Psychology at a local University...

Hang on, who changed the word "w*****r" to "manual manipulator" in my post above?  Not me.  Given that it was a quote from a national daily newspaper, surely it is permissible on this forum????

I go to football matches to be abusive to other fans, that's my frickin job as a supporter, if i can't call them *****ers and fob them off, whats the point in me being there?  I also expect the other fans to call me a *****er too, abuse my goal keeper and sing songs about how inbred we are.

Please dont mess with the fabric of English football 

Ridiculous if true. 

I haven’t made that gesture since I was about 13 but I’m not offended by it. I think it’s childish but that’s all. 

Same with bad language - I swear with the rest of them when PLAYING the game - I can’t keep a lid on it for some reason, but I don’t swear at the players at a City game (although I have been known to utter an expletive or two under my breath at a poor corner or wasted opportunity)

The only exemption is in front of young kids. I don’t like that at all - swearing or gestures. We adults are supposed to be role models. 

This action is overkill though - like I said; ridiculous. 

Archived