IGNORED

Annoying Radio Bristol evening after match coverage.

Lord Northski

After every evening match I get back to my car, turn on Radio Bristol to listen to the phone-in whilst I sit still in traffic, to hear LJ’s post match comments, then the same things always happen. 

The presenter almost immediately says the program is about to finish at 10 o’clock but we will try to stay on air until Lee Johnson’s been on air. Once LJ’s but is finished (always a little earlier if we win) the “soccer special” program finishes and Radio Bristol switches to some inane music rather than taking advantage of the captive audience sitting stationary in south Bristol. An audience that then have to switch station to continue to listen to sport.

I doesn’t matter whether City are doing well or badly, on a match night I want to immerse myself in everything football. I want to listen to people talking about the game, and yeah, even if it’s utter rubbish from a bloke who hasn’t seen the game who listened to commentary (shouting at the radio is ok, according to my doctor) The program simply finishes too early.

Would be a major improvement if they just extended the program until 10.30. Radio Bristol will know doubt say it’s a cost thing but I’d suggest that loads would listen and don’t reckon I’m the only one who gets annoyed by this. 

11 minutes ago, Lord Northski said:

After every evening match I get back to my car, turn on Radio Bristol to listen to the phone-in whilst I sit still in traffic, to hear LJ’s post match comments, then the same things always happen. 

The presenter almost immediately says the program is about to finish at 10 o’clock but we will try to stay on air until Lee Johnson’s been on air. Once LJ’s but is finished (always a little earlier if we win) the “soccer special” program finishes and Radio Bristol switches to some inane music rather than taking advantage of the captive audience sitting stationary in south Bristol. An audience that then have to switch station to continue to listen to sport.

I doesn’t matter whether City are doing well or badly, on a match night I want to immerse myself in everything football. I want to listen to people talking about the game, and yeah, even if it’s utter rubbish from a bloke who hasn’t seen the game who listened to commentary (shouting at the radio is ok, according to my doctor) The program simply finishes too early.

Would be a major improvement if they just extended the program until 10.30. Radio Bristol will know doubt say it’s a cost thing but I’d suggest that loads would listen and don’t reckon I’m the only one who gets annoyed by this. 

I'm sure most of us agree completely with you.

Why not send an email to BBC Radio Bristol? 

The things you get on here, when there’s not much to complain about..! 

On occassions that I drive to midweek games, I quite like like getting half way home and then realising that I’m bopping along at the wheel to some random Rock & Roll track that I’ve never heard of! 

16 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

The things you get on here, when there’s not much to complain about..! 

On occassions that I drive to midweek games, I quite like like getting half way home and then realising that I’m bopping along at the wheel to some random Rock & Roll track that I’ve never heard of! 

I think you need to be over 70 for that to be “your music” - ie in your teens in the mid 50s.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Lord Northski said:

I guess the program is set up essentially for those listening in for commentary so when the game is over Radio Bristol see their bit as done

To be honest after hearing the post match interview there isn't much worth listening to anyway - they only read out the standard texts "we brilliant" if we win, "we are shit" if we lose!

Then the token caller who hasn't been to a game for 50 years but is an expert

To be fair to RB they have a duty of care to their listeners and they are aware that a certain lady in Clifton, who is already well miffed about the revamped floodlit Ashton Gate spoiling her view, might be pushed over the edge if extra coverage from AG means her beloved 50s Rock 'n' Roll night is ruined too.

Don't know about midweek, but I rely on my regular Saturday exercise of jumping up and running across the room as quickly as possible to switch the radio off the moment I hear the start of 'Geoff Barker's Rock 'N' Roll Party'.

See how quickly you can hit pause button - not quite the same satisfaction, but to make up for it you can do it over and again ( hint: at about 5.03.)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05l1g0g

4 hours ago, handsofclay said:

To be fair to RB they have a duty of care to their listeners and they are aware that a certain lady in Clifton, who is already well miffed about the revamped floodlit Ashton Gate spoiling her view, might be pushed over the edge if extra coverage from AG means her beloved 50s Rock 'n' Roll night is ruined too.

Tilly Vacher......wife of Chris Vatcher, BBC newsreader.

See the connection with BBC Radio Bristol?

6 hours ago, Lord Northski said:

I have thought this for years. Infuriating. Also the rock n roll party on Saturday. Who cares who listens to it. 630 after a game. Should be standard  

Easier said than done to extend the programme by half an hour. I've worked this sort of show before. If it's one game and you've had the post match interview you're pretty strapped for content. You're either reading out the dregs of whatever communication you've received or end up replaying old interviews from the day's sports bulletins. You could argue "just get more callers on"... easier said than done if there aren't any decent callers available. 

The only thing of value you could add to a programme like that is if there was some sort of post match analysis. But then the question is who does that? Pressumably they would have had to have seen the game. Also if it's an away game, these analysts still need to drive home. Even if it's a home game, it's an extra half hour on what's already a reasonably late shift.  They probably won't be analysing for free either. 

You've also got another portion of your audience who aren't going to be fussed about football to consider. 

Either way, a lack of an extra half an hour of coverage will be down to impracticalities rather than anything else.

1 hour ago, Ago said:

Easier said than done to extend the programme by half an hour. I've worked this sort of show before. If it's one game and you've had the post match interview you're pretty strapped for content. You're either reading out the dregs of whatever communication you've received or end up replaying old interviews from the day's sports bulletins. You could argue "just get more callers on"... easier said than done if there aren't any decent callers available. 

The only thing of value you could add to a programme like that is if there was some sort of post match analysis. But then the question is who does that? Pressumably they would have had to have seen the game. Also if it's an away game, these analysts still need to drive home. Even if it's a home game, it's an extra half hour on what's already a reasonably late shift.  They probably won't be analysing for free either. 

You've also got another portion of your audience who aren't going to be fussed about football to consider. 

Either way, a lack of an extra half an hour of coverage will be down to impracticalities rather than anything else.

Someone from abroad who has actually seen the "action" from a birds perspective with replays and not some boring English tit talking nonsence 

Watching the highlights from midweek it's clear that the highlights is based on peoples opinion about what happened rather than on what actually happened. Bobbys first half header in the box when three City players were through on goal was not even on the highlights. The commentators made their opinion on what they thought they watched rather than on what actually happened watching the full replay of the game.

Archived