IGNORED

The official Bristol City v Preston North End Match Day Thread 18

Septic Peg

2 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Flint and Baker didn't seem up for it at all, and weren't winning most of their aerial duels as usual. When those two are off, then I begin to worry about everyone

Minds already on those half n half scarves, one would suspect.

3 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Really? Most people seemed happy with the starting line up. Our passing was atrocious tonight, and we didn't do the simple things well enough. I'd actually say Preston are one of the only teams that have physically bullied us this season, which is weird.

Flint and Baker didn't seem up for it at all, and weren't winning most of their aerial duels as usual. When those two are off, then I begin to worry about everyone.

The players looked tired more than anything, and just so so sluggish on the ball. Johnson may have got a few things wrong tonight, but he shouldn't be held to account for what the players gave us tonight, and that was dross for the majority of the game.

Well they shouldn't be tired, they've just had a two-week break ffs

1 minute ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Really? Most people seemed happy with the starting line up. Our passing was atrocious tonight, and we didn't do the simple things well enough. I'd actually say Preston are one of the only teams that have physically bullied us this season, which is weird.

Flint and Baker didn't seem up for it at all, and weren't winning most of their aerial duels as usual. When those two are off, then I begin to worry about everyone.

The players looked tired more than anything, and just so so sluggish on the ball. Johnson may have got a few things wrong tonight, but he shouldn't be held to account for what the players gave us tonight, and that was dross for the majority of the game.

Djuric, Patterson and Bryan did not look fit to me and probably should not have been selected and why is our plan B against teams seeking to stop us playing is ambling, slow lethargic aimless long balls.

Tired? only their 2nd game in nearly 3 weeks.

1 minute ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Then they should not have been selected to play, not good management in a season where LJ has got most things correct IMHO.

Cannot understand the long ball shit, what is that all about?, it seems to me that when teams seek to stop us playing our only tactic is a long ball game.

No they shouldnt. That is now very clear. Players play with knocks that s pro football but these three looked out of it early. He has Magnússon Leko and taylor and Woodrow Vyner Kelly all available.

But drops a fit Magnússon to play a semi fit Bryan. Drops Taylor to play Djuric from the off and Patterson still looks like he needs a drip!

It reminded me of GJ after buying Adebola...Hit it long...But they were winning every tackle so hump it becomes option A1.

I am so bloody annoyed as that was squarely at the feet of the manager and staff. 

We move on but bloody hell!

8 minutes ago, pnefcok said:

Robinson's been having a poor season so a surprise to him him pop up late on with that winner but a very welcome one indeed.

Don't want to sound boastful at all but thought it was a fully-deserved win. We didn't play amazingly well but it was a solid away display against an underwhelming Bristol City side.

Thought Pearson and Johnson were class in CM for us. Liked the look of O'Dowda for Bristol City.

Also, think Brownhill needs to confiscate his dad's phone during games! https://twitter.com/gbrownhill56 

A well deserved win no doubt but the time wasting was of epic proportions and an incredibly weak referee allowed it to continue.

10 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Wright was awful at RB mate. LJ should've stuck with Korey there and kept the excellent Pack in midfield. Too much tinkering again. And as for the half time substitutions/tactical change. Well...less said the better I think (with the notable exception of Eliasson )

1 minute ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Well, yes exactly! Some of them looked like they couldn't be bothered to really break their necks to get round the pitch. Embarrassing. 

It's hugely frustrating and disappointing, because they played with so much energy and passion in beating Fulham, for example. Effort is the very least that players should put in – if they try hard but have an off-day, fair enough.  

10 minutes ago, pnefcok said:

Robinson's been having a poor season so a surprise to him him pop up late on with that winner but a very welcome one indeed.

Don't want to sound boastful at all but thought it was a fully-deserved win. We didn't play amazingly well but it was a solid away display against an underwhelming Bristol City side.

Thought Pearson and Johnson were class in CM for us. Liked the look of O'Dowda for Bristol City.

Also, think Brownhill needs to confiscate his dad's phone during games! https://twitter.com/gbrownhill56 

No complaints with the result. We have played some lovely stuff this year, not tonight. Just seems we see Preston, and think, well, that's it then. 

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Wright was awful at RB mate. LJ should've stuck with Korey there and kept the excellent Pack there. Too much tinkering again. And as for the half time substitutions/tactical change. Well...less said the better I think (with the notable exception of Eliasson )

I thought Wright was the pick of a nervy back 4.

As for the subs agree about Eliasson and to be fair Woodrow scored, Pack was shocking, but none of them would have been needed if LJ had selected 11 fully fit players instead of 8.

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

Wright was awful at RB mate. LJ should've stuck with Korey there and kept the excellent Pack there. Too much tinkering again. And as for the half time substitutions/tactical change. Well...less said the better I think (with the notable exception of Eliasson )

I just thought LJ was trying to go back to the same set up as before Wright was suspended. I don't know, it was just all off all over the pitch, and sometimes it's hard to pick apart where the real fault lies. 

There just didn't seem to be any cohesion between the players, and they were just strolling around the pitch at times as though they weren't in a contest. Yes some iffy tactics from LJ, but he was also let down by the boys tonight. Didn't see any of them really run themselves into the ground for the club this eve. 

17 minutes ago, pnefcok said:

Fully deserved? You were poor by all accounts. 

4 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I thought Wright was the pick of a nervy back 4.

As for the subs agree about Eliasson and to be fair Woodrow scored, Pack was shocking, but none of them would have been needed if LJ had selected 11 fully fit players instead of 8.

I was sat behind Wright in the SS in the first half and thought he was out of sorts. Misplaced passes and tackles. Not his natural position, he'd been off playing on the other side of the world last week and it showed.

Agree about playing fit players for sure.

11 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

In league 1 Bury beat top Shrewsbury, I bet their fans aren’t going into meltdown 

We will lose more this season, especially if teams at home play like Preston parking the bus and slowing it down 

We play better on the break now against better sides 

I can't see anybody going into meltdown, it was a shocking performance all around from the 11 players, the 3 subs and mostly by the manager and people are voicing their feelings about that and the fact that it was unrecognisable from Saturday's performance.

As for parking the bus, the point you are missing is this is the 3rd team who have parked the bus that we have failed to beat and that is going to be a problem, especially if our only plan B is a soporific build up ending with an aimless lump upfield. Sadly we will need to find a way because we won't be playing the better sides every week.

I think most people are willing to put it down to a bad day at the office. But nobody is beyond criticism.

I am sure you have witnessed full blown meltdowns.

Frustrating game.  We played poorly all over, didn't win anything, regressed into that idiotic habit of asking central midfielders to collect it off centre halves and then wondering why we have no outlets. 

It was right to bring Pack on at half time but Bailey Wright should have come off for him and Korey Smith played at right back because he doesn't get a nose bleed on the half way line and that was a real problem.  Do we really not have a right back in the development squad that can do better?  I would be surprised.

Eliasson looked decent when he came on but you're always going to struggle to get a final ball out of a left footed left winger on the right hand side.  Joe Bryan had the worst game I've seen for a long time, I can't believe he was fit on that performance.

Preston were a total disappointment in terms of their continual timewasting, cheating and preventing the restart of play from about the 20th minute.  The ref got conned time after time after time and didn't penalise them or add the time on.  It was a shame as they looked like they might have been capable of football if they were less cynical.  Anyway they got a lucky goal against the run of play and a second as we chased the game.  No sportmanship whatsoever and thankfully for football they won't win many at all playing like that.

Best put that utter shit behind us and get on with the next one.

The more I think about the game tonight the more angry I get. So much wrong. 

To have Djuric on the pitch and only feed him from the ******* centre backs all game was criminal. Game completely bypassed the entire midfield because we insisted on lumping it long at every ******* opportunity.

Midfield 4 might as well not have been playing. Had the talent and personnel to play through them and impose our game on them and let them dictate the play all night. 

Really shockingly bad performance. 

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

You clearly don’t understand what it means to be a football supporter. Fully 20 minutes left to change the game and for the fans to affect the outcome with their support. Pathetic.

That is probably one of the most conceited arrogant posts I have seen on this forum.

Who are you to decide what football supporters can and can't do pal?

People pay their money and can decide to stay or leave - it's their choice!

Nice to call those exercising their free will "pathetic".

Time to walk away from the keyboard until you learn some respect.

Archived