IGNORED

Early leavers

Super

11 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I was tempted and I only live 15 minutes walk away.

If I drove to games and had to battle through the traffic I'd have probably been off too.

I hope the players were well aware of the exodus and it hits home to them that sort of performance was a big let down and the fans will not tolerate it.

Tonight has really pissed me off, and i dare say thousands of others. Thanks City.

Exactly this

I stayed to the end. Then it took effing ages to leave, because the Dolman entrances are poorly designed compared to the rest of the ground, and I was stationary on Winterstoke Road for 20 minutes.

I always stay to the end, but I cannot blame anyone for deciding to get a quicker getaway, because that match was not entertaining. It wasn't just the result, it was ruined by the ref and Preston timewasters.

10 minutes ago, redmycolour said:

So what about Man u game,if we're 4-0 down,(hope not)  by 70 mins,half stadium will be empty and on Sky, how embarrassing, 

The performance counts as well as the scoreline but in that scenario of being 4-0 down at home, and playing poorly -  the disappointment and frustration would lead to a similar exodus at any stadium in the country.

Look at PL teams on TV, stadiums are often half full at the final whistle whatever the score.

Just now, Nogbad the Bad said:

The performance counts as well as the scoreline but in that scenario of being 4-0 down at home, and playing poorly -  the disappointment and frustration would lead to a similar exodus at any stadium in the country.

Look at PL teams on TV, stadiums are often half full at the final whistle whatever the score.

It'll be double figures if we play like we did last night.

• Admin
5 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I just cant see the point in going if you leave10 mins early.  A lot can happen in that time.  I do understand that if you have a train to catch, or something like that, but would you walk our of a cinema 10 minutes before a film ends?  

I've been to theatre / comedians and cinema when people have got up and left early as they were not enjoying what they saw

Interesting one, as often people will leave a concert at the start of an encore

But it looked as though we could have played for another hour and not got a goal (at the 80th minute mark)

11 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Absolutely - must be totally demoralising for the players to see hundreds if not thousands walking out way before the end just because we are losing....and there was so long to go too....hope most of them also walked out when we were 4-2 down away at Mansfield in that infamous comeback game, but they probably weren't there so it doesn't matter.

But they will all be back for the big Man Yoo game tho and they will be sneaking out when we are 0-3 down to their yoof team. Good riddance.

The guy who sits three seats to my left got up and stomped out at 0-2 tonight whilst yelling 'we are shit, we won't score another goal before Christmas....' - how wrong he was, can't wait to see him next home game, after the run we've had he felt he could yell 'we are shit...' - sometimes I despair at our home 'fans' - reminds me of the reasons I only went to away games many years back...

I take it you have never ever walked out of a crap film or concert I have, when you are not enjoying something why bother putting up with it a moment longer, you say stay and support the team, hadn't really made much difference up to the second goal going in had it. 

2 minutes ago, pillred said:

I take it you have never ever walked out of a crap film or concert I have, when you are not enjoying something why bother putting up with it a moment longer, you say stay and support the team, hadn't really made much difference up to the second goal going in had it. 

people were leaving on 78 mins still 12 mins left plus near on 6 minutes injury time. 

6 minutes ago, pillred said:

I've never actually been to see a crap film or concert (the nearest I got to that was when I took the misses to see Ronan Keating at AG).  Been to a few crap matches though. Millwall, Burton & last night to name 3.

These are the type of games where you need an early goal to open them up.

13 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

If I drove to games and had to battle through the traffic I'd have probably been off too.

I hope the players were well aware of the exodus and it hits home to them that sort of performance was a big let down and the fans will not tolerate it.

Tonight has really pissed me off, and i dare say thousands of others. Thanks City.

There is no perspective here at all.  We were 4th in the table before the game began having lost fewer matches than any other team.  What I saw last night was a disappointing, disjointed performance and tactics that didn't work.  But I didn't see a lack of effort - until the second goal went in, City were showing increasing urgency and looking the more likely to score.  No team manages to put in a 10/10 performance every week, and how well we play is not only determined by ourselves but how the other team set up against us.  Under those circumstances is it really a proportionate reaction to throw the toys out of the pram and stomp off with a quarter of the game remaining?  If you're dissatisfied with the performance, why not show your dissatisfaction at the end but continue to encourage the team while there was still time to do something about it?  I can't see how leaving early achieves anything other than to kill the atmosphere and make defeat even more likely.

4 minutes ago, Super said:

people were leaving on 78 mins still 12 mins left plus near on 6 minutes injury time. 

yes that was a bit early, well ridiculously early, I left with 3 minuet's to go, obviously we immediately scored,  just couldn't see any point in staying right to the end though glad I did against leeds when we were also 2 down with 4 minuets left.

15 minutes ago, pillred said:

Here's why.  Because for every 50 games that peter out into the disappointing result that you had anticipated, there will be one that proves to be a Mansfield game, or a Hartlepool game, or a Leeds (2015) game.  And as fans we can each have a tiny influence to make such a turnaround more likely to occur.

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Here's why.  Because for every 50 games that peter out into the disappointing result that you had anticipated, there will be one that proves to be a Mansfield game, or a Hartlepool game, or a Leeds (2014) game.  And as fans we can each have a tiny influence to make such a turnaround more likely to occur.

I can see your point, though at odds of 50/1 it's not a bet most people would find attractive.

15 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

There is no perspective here at all.  We were 4th in the table before the game began having lost fewer matches than any other team.  What I saw last night was a disappointing, disjointed performance and tactics that didn't work.  But I didn't see a lack of effort - until the second goal went in, City were showing increasing urgency and looking the more likely to score.  No team manages to put in a 10/10 performance every week, and how well we play is not only determined by ourselves but how the other team set up against us.  Under those circumstances is it really a proportionate reaction to throw the toys out of the pram and stomp off with a quarter of the game remaining?  If you're dissatisfied with the performance, why not show your dissatisfaction at the end but continue to encourage the team while there was still time to do something about it?  I can't see how leaving early achieves anything other than to kill the atmosphere and make defeat even more likely.

I think it's worse to stay if only to boo the team off.

To simply leave is a far better way of showing utter frustration and disappointment than lambasting the players at the end, and hopefully the message gets across without damaging friction.

Booing becomes much more personal, and really can drive a wedge between the players and fans.

That game, and that performance, were unacceptable and had drawn the passion out of the crowd long before the end.

I did stay to the end btw, I always do.

My point in entering this thread was to say I completely understand any fan who left early through pure exasperation, particularly when they have a further frustrating journey home to negotiate late in the evening, and are not blessed to live within walking distance of AG, as I do.

1 hour ago, pillred said:

No I haven’t ever walked out of a film or a concert. But those are hardly comparable to supporting a football team, I’d guess you don’t watch the same film or band 30 odd times in nine months?! 

To me, walking out with 20 minutes left just because we are losing is just petulant and sulky - we ain’t gonna win every game. But the ones who annoy me even more are those who get up to leave early and then just stand on the steps or by the exits, blocking the view of the fans who want to stay to the end in their seats.

City supporters should support the team whether we are winning, losing or drawing....some just seem able to support when we are winning and they have to sulk and walk out when we go behind with a large chunk of the game left. Just my views, but I just don’t understand it...we are quite likely to go one or two goals down to Man Utd at home, will the hoardes desert the boys then and just get up to leave? I think it demoralises the players to see loads of fans streaming out when the game is far from over. It certainly doesn’t help our team galvanise themselves to put in extra effort...

1 hour ago, pillred said:

I can see your point, though at odds of 50/1 it's not a bet most people would find attractive.

But football is about those 50-1 moments. Those are the moments you remember. The sheer delirium of a late equaliser or winner is the optimum high of following a football team. Limbs everywhere, hugging people you've never met, planting the massive kiss or your mates forehead, standing on your seat, falling over with pure delight. The noise and togetherness as the whole ground chants in unison. I don't understand why people would want to rob themselves of these moments. 

15 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Dare I say this but Nog Bad is Spot On. 

The only thing I would add is I hope the management were aware as well!

TBH if I’ve paid my hard earned money (far far less than any pampered Championship footballer earns) and if I don’t feel like watching anymore then I’m fully entitled to get up and leave. I won’t feel sorry for the players, neither is it a sulking reaction. Fact is if someone is not being entertained by the entertainment they have paid to watch then they can leave. 

I stayed until the board went up then I left. I missed a goal, I could have missed the greatest comeback in many a year but that was something I was happy to live with because I didn’t want to be there anymore and chose that MY time was better spent missing 5 mins of (terrible) football to avoid an extra 25 mins stuck in my car  

Sorry if that doesn’t fit with someone’s classification of being a football supporter, but 20 odd years of having a season ticket, spending god knows how much on concessions and shirts etc means I think I’m probably in a bit of credit in the fan stakes.  

So in the politest way possible, go forth and multiply. 

Archived