IGNORED

Horrid

ZiderEyed

Wow.

I like to think that I try and be as balanced as possible in the wake of a defeat. If a side has played better than us and look good value for the win then I'm happy to congratulate them. Tartan pubes and PNE had no intention of playing attractive football.

I've not left the gate so depressed in years. It was a naive performance on our part, but the time wasting, the going down at the slightest touch, the standing right in front of the ball at a free kick, the cynical tackles, the hoofball clearances, the constant moaning to the referee, the ambling around the pitch like senile old men, the taking 5 minutes at every throw in, the limping off injured then sprinting back on, the apparent desire to kick the shit out of Joe Bryan, and the cowardly behaviour of the referee in not producing a card for any of these repeated offences got to me a bit. How long was the ball actually in play, does anyone know?

Credit where it's due though, they finished their chances and pressed our back line well.

Preston fully deserved that tonight, they were much better than us on the ball, closed us down, played football through midfield, yes they did time waste and why not. They were winning comfortably and killed the game, a very good away performance from them.

They expolited our weaknesses, hence the long ball over and over to Djuric. We were not at it tonight but full credit to Preston who did a number on us.

Are you for real?  They were the better team in the first half. Created about 5 decent chances to our one goal scramble. Had players that actually looked comfortable on the ball. Fully deserved the win.

But we were awful. Hoof ball, no apparent game plan and played at a pedestrian pace for most of the game. I agree the ref was weak but they simply took advantage of this in a way that any other team in the league would.

Was actually commenting before the game that we've become a much more savvy team in this respect,  as we were under GJ.

Cry me a river. We lost to a better team tonight.

4 minutes ago, screech said:

Preston fully deserved that tonight, they were much better than us on the ball, closed us down, played football through midfield, yes they did time waste and why not. They were winning comfortably and killed the game, a very good away performance from them.

They expolited our weaknesses, hence the long ball over and over to Djuric. We were not at it tonight but full credit to Preston who did a number on us.

Common sense, at last!

3 minutes ago, Nick Wilde said:

Completely agree with the original post. It is awful to see, however 3 teams have done it to us this season, Millwall, Burton and PNE we need to find a way of winning games against teams like this.

Exactly what we said. I like Preston, or used to. A good honest team they once were, not any more. Can't be their manager as they played like this under Grayson, got to be ingrained in the club, horrible to watch and be on the end of but effective I suppose. cowardly Ref didn't help, and from Lancashire too. 

6 minutes ago, RedM said:

Exactly what we said. I like Preston, or used to. A good honest team they once were, not any more. Can't be their manager as they played like this under Grayson, got to be ingrained in the club, horrible to watch and be on the end of but effective I suppose. cowardly Ref didn't help, and from Lancashire too. 

Came down on the bus with them, surely!

17 minutes ago, Nick Wilde said:

Completely agree with the original post. It is awful to see, however 3 teams have done it to us this season, Millwall, Burton and PNE we need to find a way of winning games against teams like this.

Absolutely. We won't be in the play offs if we can't find a way to break teams down at home. We were as poor tonight as we were against Leeds. 

28 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Wow.

I like to think that I try and be as balanced as possible in the wake of a defeat. If a side has played better than us and look good value for the win then I'm happy to congratulate them. Tartan pubes and PNE had no intention of playing attractive football.

I've not left the gate so depressed in years. It was a naive performance on our part, but the time wasting, the going down at the slightest touch, the standing right in front of the ball at a free kick, the cynical tackles, the hoofball clearances, the constant moaning to the referee, the ambling around the pitch like senile old men, the taking 5 minutes at every throw in, the limping off injured then sprinting back on, the apparent desire to kick the shit out of Joe Bryan, and the cowardly behaviour of the referee in not producing a card for any of these repeated offences got to me a bit. How long was the ball actually in play, does anyone know?

Credit where it's due though, they finished their chances and pressed our back line well.

really good post all true

Preston came with a game plan and executed it well.

I don't mind praising the opposition when they outplay us but as well as Preston played in parts they ruined the match as any spectacle by time wasting at every opportunity, standing over the ball at free kicks, moaning at the ref and actually playing the ref at every chance they got.

I am afraid until the referees stamp out this type of gamesmanship instead of turning a blind eye, inferior teams like Preston will get away with it.

AND, before all of the good fans of PNE come on here and criticise me ask yourself this, if you were any good why do you need to time waste by consistently standing over the ball or kicking the ball away when its already out of play or your keeper taking an age to take a goal kick.

23 minutes ago, Super said:

Preston played more attractive football than us. Long ball shit, backward passing all game.

The irony of this post is amazing. 

Complaining about long balls, then also complaining about trying to build from the back and stretch their shape. 

You're not going to be able to go from back to front in a matter of moments against a team with a 5 man midfield who were pressing very well. It's not Fifa 

1 hour ago, ZiderEyed said:

Wow.

I thought vitriol like that was only reserved for teams managed by Neil Warnock on here...perhaps Alex Neil is learning from the old warhorse!

Preston were always a proper football team. That team last night were time killing imposters.

I can't put into words how much I loath teams who practice anti-football like that and referees who let it go unpunished.

And if the ref is going to let their player consistently block free kicks by standing 3 feet in front of the ball then why oh why oh why don't our players have the nouse to smash the ball into his bollocks and force a booking???

6 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I thought vitriol like that was only reserved for teams managed by Neil Warnock on here...perhaps Alex Neil is learning from the old warhorse!

Well if he gets his team to pull all the tricks from the Warnick textbook of anti-football, what do you expect? It was horrible to watch and highly frustrating.

However we played into Preston's hands. Tactically they got it right in pressing us high up the pitch, and our only outlet was limping it up to Djuric, who was getting onto balls but had no one to play off him. Makes you realise that Bobby is not a natural striker who has played there all his career. And more worryingly his goals have dried up.

It needed Pack in midfield for the second half but that left us with just Bobby up front who isn't a target man, which negated much of the excellent work of Eliasson who had them completely rattled.

I accept that we have some injuries, but LJ needs to work out how we play against teams who set up to press so hard especially if they only play 1 up front and 5 across the middle. We also need to buy another striker, rather than sacrifice our defence by putting Flint upfront. It may come from his Dad's playbook but was a factor in their 2nd goal.

7 hours ago, Swede said:

I don't mind praising the opposition when they outplay us but as well as Preston played in parts they ruined the match as any spectacle by time wasting at every opportunity, standing over the ball at free kicks, moaning at the ref and actually playing the ref at every chance they got.

I am afraid until the referees stamp out this type of gamesmanship instead of turning a blind eye, inferior teams like Preston will get away with it.

AND, before all of the good fans of PNE come on here and criticise me ask yourself this, if you were any good why do you need to time waste by consistently standing over the ball or kicking the ball away when its already out of play or your keeper taking an age to take a goal kick.

Exactly. I blame the Ref for not being stronger, he contributed to a poor game of football as much as Preston. He was weak, all he  had to do was clamp down on a few things early in the game and make teams play. What the hell was going on when both Preston players ran into eachother and after treatment they were allowed to continue without leaving the pitch?  Then their keeper restarted the match after the Ref blew up when we had pocession! Also later in the match he gave a drop ball and it was contested by 3 onto 1!

I can take losing if deserved, but that match was so full of injustices and heavily weighted by the officials it's no better than the cheating simulation we were accused of. Let's hope the Ref gets accessed.

8 minutes ago, RedM said:

I can take losing if deserved, but that match was so full of injustices and heavily weighted by the officials it's no better than the cheating simulation we were accused of. Let's hope the Ref gets accessed.

We did deserve to lose.  If we go one nil up against Manchester United and do similar then win the game I wonder how many will be moaning about it.

7 hours ago, Swede said:

I agree with you but also think much of that comes down to the Ref. Ultimately had he shown yellow cards early on for time-wasting, dissent, kicking the ball away or refusing to get ten yards for a free kick, it would have stamped it out early on and Preston would not have been able to profit from cynical tactics. Ultimately the referee was not strong enough to do that, Preston realised that and took advantage.

Poor as we were last night, I cannot agree with those saying Preston were the better team. Even with our poor distribution, we utterly dominated possession and for most of the second half the ball was pretty much wholly in Preston’s half. They did what they needed to do and killed us off on the break and their game plan certainly worked better than ours but I do not agree they played more attractive (or even less unattractive) football or created more and I still reckon any neutral watching that would expect us to finish higher in the table of the two teams.

32 minutes ago, RedDave said:

We did deserve to lose.  If we go one nil up against Manchester United and do similar then win the game I wonder how many will be moaning about it.

Three points:

1) Personally I would not be moaning but I would be a bit embarrassed about it. I know teams need an element of gamesmanship but I hate watching any team cheat. I accept I am in the minority of fans on this though and most would would say the result was all that counted.

2) We have started well but we aren’t Man Utd. Not sure if it is a compliment to us or insult to Preston that their game plan was based on an assumption we were the superior team.

3) Given how Mourinho sets his teams up, I think it far more likely we’ll be moaning when they do that to us...

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Three points:

1) Personally I would not be morning but I would be a bit embarrassed about it. I know teams need an element of gamesmanship but I hate watching any team cheat. I accept I am in the minority of fans on this though and most would would say the result was all that counted.

2) We have started well but we aren’t Man Utd. Not sure if it is a compliment to us or insult to Preston that their game plan was based on an assumption we were the superior team.

3) Given how Mourinho sets his teams up, I think it far more likely we’ll be moaning when they do that to us...

Certainly a compliment from Preston.  United wont come here and do that but I hope we do 

Archived