IGNORED

Is our season going to be derailed by the Man United game?

AshtonGreat

It bothers me that the closer we get to one of the biggest games in the club's history, the less focused the players will become on the nitty-gritty of the league. Dare I say it, we might even see players pulling out of tackles so that they don't get injured and miss out on their chance to play in the big match.

Legitimate worry?

21 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

It bothers me that the closer we get to one of the biggest games in the club's history, the less focused the players will become on the nitty-gritty of the league. Dare I say it, we might even see players pulling out of tackles so that they don't get injured and miss out on their chance to play in the big match.

Legitimate worry?

No.

20 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Legitimate worry?

No. It's the quarter final of the carabao league cup against manures reserves, not the champions league final. I'd be disappointed if that even crossed the players minds

22 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Legitimate worry?

In short, no.

The game will act as a catalyst to ensure we finish in the top 10. Regardless of the result, Lee Johnson should use it to insure belief and conviction from his team. We then need to strengthen at Christamas, gel in the new year and go up as clear  runners up behind champions Burton.

Flawless.

23 minutes ago, WSMRobin said:

No. It's the quarter final of the carabao league cup against manures reserves, not the champions league final. I'd be disappointed if that even crossed the players minds

Well, we've already seen players tweeting their excitement, and even Johnson made a corny reference to inviting Jose Mourinho into his office. Add the fervour among fans and the unprecedented ticketing policies, and I think there's every chance it'll affect the players.

Plus, we've seen it happen plenty of times before, where cup giant-killers have ended up doing not so well in their own leagues.

Well you could look at it the other way, players wil need to play out of their skin in order to be considered to play in one of the biggest game of their careers thus far. If someone is jumping out of tackles and not putting in as much effort, LJ will see that and drop them as punishment. That should be the players motivation, play well and earn your start against Man United.. 

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

Legitimate worry?

I honestly think, for all that went wrong last night, one thing the players did not lack was the commitment, effort and willingness to throw themselves at the ball. I think the players know promotion is the real prize at stake and I cannot imagine them letting up.

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

Legitimate worry?

Nah, we were just shite last night, it happens sometimes!! If repeated then it’s time to worry.

2 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

Legitimate worry?

I think it is a legitimate worry , or potential for any side in our position , but I don't see it relevant atm ( But could become so in the couple of weeks before The cup game).  and think last night and our blank end product around the box at Wednesday is much more to do with the way we play and the International Break

Weve met two of the worst sides we could on return from breaks - Burton and Preston

What to do with your squadis a difficult call ,-    I see from social media that,  understandably LJ seems to like giving the players some down time. ,      

if you don't ,and have them in training all the time it would look crazy if in February we look jaded and tired , a difficult balance and call

Whether it's the balance during the break or simple 'match sharpness' but it looks as though it may affect us - We are a side that looks to be at our best and need a rhythm and be sharp and slick and I think the break doesn't do us any favours in this respect and the opponents post break havnt helped

I have said in recent weeks   I that I feared   players playing not fully fit and our long term injuries and reduced options may catcn up with us and I think we've done well to get some recent results with far from a first choice 11

It will be interesting to see if we can regain our rhythm in the next 2 or 3 games but they look tough and the injury situation looks worse by the day 

So we may have to steel ourselves for a sticky patch

But they have surprised me this season when I've feared similar so  :fingerscrossed:(I just wonder whether all the factors may finally catch us a bit in the coming weeks)

Really annoying and IMHO we can't make any accurate judgements with the depleted squad - 

2 hours ago, WSMRobin said:

I love how some keep going on about how it will only be Man United reserves like we'd of never heard of the players in their second string side.

It'll be the likes of Shaw, Herrera & Martial.. yes they'll have youngsters but it'll be a strong outfit. 

4 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

We weren't great against Sheffield Wednesday either...

There’s a difference between being not great and battling to a 0-0 at a decent side and being utterly abysmal from start to finish!! Last night we were the latter. The concern for me is other sides will park the bus, waste time from minute 1 etc. and we need a better plan than playing 90 backwards and sideways passes culminating in our whole back four just smashing it up to Djuric and hoping for the best.

PNE, to be fair, cut out the space that Reid likes to operate in and let us go Long first half. They outsmarted us.

Archived