IGNORED

Name that stand

wendyredredrobin

5 hours ago, BS15_RED said:

Bit of a cop out imho. It’s also sad that Louis Carey, the man who played more games for the club than anyone else isn’t recognised either. As a joint season ticket holder, City and rugby, the rugby fans should realise that AG is our home of 113 years and it’s therefor logical that stands, boxes etc, are named after City luminaries.

louis carey left us for Coventry it didnt work out and came back what about the sir geoffrey merrick stand one of the Ashton  eight

15 minutes ago, paulcityfan said:

Its the East End.  End of..  So whats the Ole ole oh Eastenders song about?  Must confuse the heck out of away and new fans

End of??! So no other opinions welcomed by you? It’s the end of the discussion?! Anyway, I doubt any away fans are confused, we are not a very loud home crowd, they probably can’t hear the song anyway...and it’s ‘Forza Eastenders’ by the way, so it seems you can’t hear it either...

Its nice to remember past heroes, but these days naming rights are big business and if the club had any sense they'd do a deal with a major sponsor and name the stand after them.  In the business I'm in, buildings are named for people who donate money to see them named.  Slightly sad, but that's the way it is.  I suppose you can always combine the two (wasn't it once the Carling Atyeo stand?).  However, I'm struggling to think of anyone who deserves to have a stand named after them, given the transitory nature of football.  Yes, Terry Cooper did a lot for the club, but enough to have a stand named after him?  Ditto Alan Dicks.  Let's face it, we don't have that much in our history book to brag about.

5 hours ago, Neo said:

The “Wedlock Cooper 8” stand - will confuse the shit out of away fans thinking this was a VIP from the 1800s or something - but we will know the true meaning - we can’t make a decision :P

Can't find my specs at the mo, but the Austin Cooper 'S'  was indeed a fine car!

Don't think we should name a stand after it though.

4 hours ago, 42nite said:

Can't find my specs at the mo, but the Austin Cooper 'S'  was indeed a fine car!

Don't think we should name a stand after it though.

Even if we ask you to park a red one near the stand without your specs?

Could end up a feature embedded in the stand !! :P

11 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

The Tote End? 

The ultimate slap for 'The Gas' after 'taking' their beloved Tote End so many times in the past would be if we really, finally and permanently 'took the Tote' for good.!  

What we could do is name it after the player who scores the goal that takes us to the premier league.

The Matty Taylor Stand.

15 hours ago, Neo said:

The “Wedlock Cooper 8” stand - will confuse the shit out of away fans thinking this was a VIP from the 1800s or something - but we will know the true meaning - we can’t make a decision :P

After several ciders some of our fans will definitely need to wee cooper 8.

12 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Alan Dicks must be worthy of a stand though not sure whether to call it the 'Alan Dicks Stand' or simply the 'Dicks Stand' with or without an apostrophe.

After all, he did something neither Lansdown nor Atyeo have been able to (yet?).

Absolutely so.

In his 80s now, still a Bristol resident, I'd love this to happen whilst he is still with us.

Archived