IGNORED

Disappointed but...

PFree

Watching the game last night felt like watching a Down's football match with the home team having nothing to play for, no passion, drive, effort, thought or real structure, it really was that poor - I think LJ was right in that who were late lot playing for Bristol City in the first half.

Upon reflection though, and thinking through things the morning after, we must face the fact we have a small squad with a fair crop of injuries, we have players playing out of position and in reality we aren't as good as our league position suggests? Correct if you feel I am wrong but we also lack talented players who on their day can turn games with moments of brilliance - when did you last see a central midfielder who has the ability to open tight defences up?

Lets face it though, there are much bigger clubs than us who are investing heavily in order to go up but who also benefit from bubble payments, I am not sure if you agree but for me finishing mid-table this season represents significant progress.

Personally, I believe it's going to take another season or two as we allow promising youngsters to develop, gradually step our average ability up and move more players in an out as we build a more rounded squad but that we certainly are on the right track. I've never been an LJ fan as for me our football for me reflects his playing style, sideways and backwards in areas where you can't hurt teams and in a style lacking tempo and drive BUT I have to congratulate him this season in that we certainly have over-delivered (which is very much to his credit, and yes, he's very much winning many over).

Finally, tough night and thoroughly depressing but well done to the fans who did their best to get behind the team - encouraging signs as it's important we each play our part..!

We were saying on the drive home, all of us in the car would still settle for a top half(ish) finish and no relegation worries.

Most of us have been watching City for long enough to know that we always have performance like last night in us - same as we can sometimes pull out a world beating one. It`s why we are what we are.

6 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

We were saying on the drive home, all of us in the car would still settle for a top half(ish) finish and no relegation worries.

Most of us have been watching City for long enough to know that we always have performance like last night in us - same as we can sometimes pull out a world beating one. It`s why we are what we are.

No different to any other club . 

18 minutes ago, PFree said:

Watching the game last night felt like watching a Down's football match with the home team having nothing to play for, no passion, drive, effort, thought or real structure, it really was that poor - I think LJ was right in that who were late lot playing for Bristol City in the first half.

Upon reflection though, and thinking through things the morning after, we must face the fact we have a small squad with a fair crop of injuries, we have players playing out of position and in reality we aren't as good as our league position suggests? Correct if you feel I am wrong but we also lack talented players who on their day can turn games with moments of brilliance - when did you last see a central midfielder who has the ability to open tight defences up?

Lets face it though, there are much bigger clubs than us who are investing heavily in order to go up but who also benefit from bubble payments, I am not sure if you agree but for me finishing mid-table this season represents significant progress.

Personally, I believe it's going to take another season or two as we allow promising youngsters to develop, gradually step our average ability up and move more players in an out as we build a more rounded squad but that we certainly are on the right track. I've never been an LJ fan as for me our football for me reflects his playing style, sideways and backwards in areas where you can't hurt teams and in a style lacking tempo and drive BUT I have to congratulate him this season in that we certainly have over-delivered (which is very much to his credit, and yes, he's very much winning many over).

Finally, tough night and thoroughly depressing but well done to the fans who did their best to get behind the team - encouraging signs as it's important we each play our part..!

Dare I say it but that central midfielder could be playing on the other side of the bridge!!!

I would love to see us pull out the Stops in the transfer window and go for someone like Bannen or Cairney

49 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I would probably agree with that, although even to finish just outside the play-offs would be a remarakable achievement.

Purely for psychological reasons, though, if we were to just miss out on a play-off position, it would be better do do so at the end of a good run rather than slipping out of such a position in the last few matches due to poor form. 

Archived