IGNORED

Christian Ribeiro

petehinton

22 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Was really talented. No doubt in my mind that had he not had such rotten luck with bad bad injuries, he'd be good enough now to be in our back line.

Without injuries I honestly believe he’d of been a regular in the Prem. 

A great shame. I remember quite a few people on here being concerned about his injuries very early in his career. Sadly it turns out they were right.

27 is no age to have to retire from something you love, let's hope he finds something rewarding in the next chapter of his life whether it's football related or not.

Remember him being part of the back 3 / 5 that Millen picked for his first game in charge after GJ stood down. And he appeared to already be good enough at that age to play in the Championship.

Just goes to show how precarious a career being a footballer can be, and why players often go for the best financial offer when they can, given that there is no pension scheme to fall back on.

3 hours ago, bengalcub said:

Was there the night he picked up that horrible injury at the gate , took about 15 minutes to leave the pitch was never the same since sad times but a great pro . 

Bloody P'boro'! A year or two later they crocked Cunningham and then there was that "incident" one New year's day when their Craig Ireland thumped a City player in the mouth as they walked off at half time.

I'm gutted for the guy. Even though he was the butt of a lot of jokes from City fans over the years, I think we all felt bad for him, and many of us thought that without the injury issues he would've gone on to great things.

Hopefully he'll continue with football, and go down the road of getting his coaching badges.

1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

Remember him being part of the back 3 / 5 that Millen picked for his first game in charge after GJ stood down. And he appeared to already be good enough at that age to play in the Championship.

Just goes to show how precarious a career being a footballer can be, and why players often go for the best financial offer when they can, given that there is no pension scheme to fall back on.

Actually there is a pension provision, through the PFA.

In addition each player is insured as part of their contract even at semi-pro level which can also mean some financial compensation when having to retire early on medical grounds.

It always strikes me as strange when fans of any club get frustrated when it appears a player is leaving or wants to leave because they have been offered more money elsewhere. Ultimately they are Professional Players its their job and if they get a better offer they are likely to want to take it.

However I digress, all the best to Christian in what he chooses to do in the future.

4 hours ago, phantom said:

Was a real shame his career never got going, always felt he had more to offer but sadly we never saw it

Can't believe he has played so few games over so many years

image.png

Probably says it all about the natural talent he had that clubs were willing to sign him with so few games behind him.

Can't believe he made such a few number of appearances for us.

A player who certainly caught the eye and had the talent to have a long, solid career over the top 3 divisions.

Wish him well with his future endeavours, maybe there is a gap in the market for an ex pro to consult with young players signing their first pro deal pointing out that no matter how talented you are, the unexpected can take it away from you.

Yes, his class and natural ability stood out.  He could defend decently but his ability to go past players was exciting to watch.  He had a bit more flair and time on the ball than most players at the levels he has played at.  It may not have been that he was never destined to be able to cope with footballs physical demands on the body  - more likely one bad injury meant other parts of the body tried but failed  to compensate and it was literally a knock on effect.  Very articulate and intelligent player too so he will have that advantage and it will give him a range of options for whatever he chooses to do.   

Archived