IGNORED

Today's latest ridiculous news story

phantom

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Because in some, not fit for purpose, third world “stadiums”, away supporters are still made to stand on uncovered terraces..? 

Like at umm.....!

Indeed. I think the game at their shittip when Phillips saved that pen was during horrendous weather

I was wetter than an otter’s pocket, shame we weren’t allowed into one of their stands to keep dry!  Think that was back in the pre-upgrade days when they put up their tents

Can anybody remember when Joe Jordan was manager and we played Chester City on a very wet Tuesday night and they had about 20 fans on the old open end getting drowned . There was room in the old Williams stand but nobody thought to move them. I can remember someone writing a letter to the Post saying how utterly shameful it was we had not moved them. Seems the same situation to me  

3 hours ago, Barry Sheene said:

Can anybody remember when Joe Jordan was manager and we played Chester City on a very wet Tuesday night and they had about 20 fans on the old open end getting drowned . There was room in the old Williams stand but nobody thought to move them. I can remember someone writing a letter to the Post saying how utterly shameful it was we had not moved them. Seems the same situation to me  

Yes I remember that game. One of the only games when I felt sympathy for the away fans on the open end terrace. Most of the time if it rained the chant “You’re getting wet, we’re not” would emanate from the East End. 

It’s strange how things change. Getting wet used to be part and parcel of attending football matches - there were even those (slightly bonkers?) fans who stood in the home section of the open end in the rain even though they could have easily got into a part of the ground under cover. I remember getting absolutely drenched in the away end at Cardiff in the 1989-1990 promotion season. In this day and age, though, it seems pretty unacceptable for fans to be getting wet like that considering the price of tickets and the how there has been a general improvement in facilities at grounds (although there are always exceptions, like the dump in Horfield and Swindon’s ground).

Don't Forest Green have plans for a super-duper eco wooden stadium so I doubt if they want to spend too much on their existing one.

I don't think I would have a problem letting away fans escape to shelter, as long as I was treated the same at their ground if needed. But the devil in me would still be happy to see some clubs fans getting a soaking.

i do remember watching away fans getting drenched back in the day at AG, along with our own fans. I think you were allowed golf umbrellas into matches back then though as they were a familiar sight. 

11 hours ago, Offside said:

Yes I remember that game. One of the only games when I felt sympathy for the away fans on the open end terrace. Most of the time if it rained the chant “You’re getting wet, we’re not” would emanate from the East End. 

It’s strange how things change. Getting wet used to be part and parcel of attending football matches - there were even those (slightly bonkers?) fans who stood in the home section of the open end in the rain even though they could have easily got into a part of the ground under cover. I remember getting absolutely drenched in the away end at Cardiff in the 1989-1990 promotion season. In this day and age, though, it seems pretty unacceptable for fans to be getting wet like that considering the price of tickets and the how there has been a general improvement in facilities at grounds (although there are always exceptions, like the dump in Horfield and Swindon’s ground).

The worst I can ever remember was a game at Notts County back in the early nineties(?). It lashed it down from start to finish, soaked completely through with a drive back to Taunton jammed into a small car with four others who were the same. I swear I had trenchfoot afterwards.

On 22/11/2017 at 16:05, Tipps69 said:

Since when have football fans been scared of getting wet? Never used to be an issue years ago!! The world is becoming too soft, footballers don’t know how they lucky they are to play on the pitches they do now & supporters having roofs & seats to be able to watch games from, there was never anything wrong with watching a game from being stood on the open end while it was raining & players were sliding about on a soaking wet pitch!! It all added to the match day experience & the enjoyment of it all.

I’m sure we once moved in to a stand at Bournemouth because of bad weather!!

On 22/11/2017 at 19:29, slartibartfast said:

Back in the day once or twice we've been allowed under cover when it was pissing down (can't remember where or when ,though).

At Gillingham a few seasons ago we were allowed under cover because of weather conditions.  We were all delighted and grateful

Good for them, its 100% exposed there and who wants a soaking in the cold for 2hrs then drive back 3 hrs in your car all steamed up and damp and uncomfortable That's the thanks you give to away fans who make the trip to see your team?

This was a decent thing to do as fans to other humans 

Archived