IGNORED

Manchester Game - Couple of Shandies and Food

Davefevs

Bearing in mind i’ll have finished up work for Xmas, Joe will have finished school, so a chance of getting to an evening game nice and early, where is a good place to go around AG - also 12 year old friendly.  I don’t be drinking because i’ll be driving, but it would be nice to get a bit of pre-match atmosphere in BS3.  North St somewhere?

Of course, I had thought about the Sports Bar, but i’ve just had an email, saying it’s 2 sittings, £40 per head, 3 courses, unlimited pizza per table...which although I could scoff enough pizza to get near to justifying it, is massive overkill for Joe - nor is the prosecco on arrival, much of a tempter.  To be honest i’m A bit disappointed with the Offer.

Hen and Chicken is ok and usually plenty of space. Food wait not too bad if you are early. (About 5 to half 5 ish.) Burgers and pizza are the order of the day. Next door is The Malago. Really chilled and hardly ever any footy fans. Never had any food in there but it looks ok. Might be worth checking out access beforehand and booking a table if that is where you decide.

8 minutes ago, Clevedon Red said:

Nice chippie on north street (fish minister) see you there. 

Must catch up....contract ends 15th Dec.  When do you finish up....might pop into town in the lead up to Xmas?

4 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Mark's Bread are doing pizzas before the game. Their bread is outstanding so I would presume the pizzas are going to be too.

That’s quite close to AG too isn’t it?

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Madras Express was where I was thinking of yeah. Was decent I thought.

The Clove? Not been there before, will have to try that one sometime.

Possibly better food than Madras Express. Certainly my go-to place for a curry when staying in BS3 and I can't be arsed going far.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Bearing in mind i’ll have finished up work for Xmas, Joe will have finished school, so a chance of getting to an evening game nice and early, where is a good place to go around AG - also 12 year old friendly.  I don’t be drinking because i’ll be driving, but it would be nice to get a bit of pre-match atmosphere in BS3.  North St somewhere?

Of course, I had thought about the Sports Bar, but i’ve just had an email, saying it’s 2 sittings, £40 per head, 3 courses, unlimited pizza per table...which although I could scoff enough pizza to get near to justifying it, is massive overkill for Joe - nor is the prosecco on arrival, much of a tempter.  To be honest i’m A bit disappointed with the Offer.

Hadn't realised the Sports Bar was going to be rinsing people as well!

Fair enough, they want to make some money, but if the ten quid breakfast the other day was anything to go buy, you will probably have to make your own pizza and they won't have cheese or tomato available.

18 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Given some of the other offers they've done recently, this one does seem to be taking the Mick somewhat.

I've only just got over the ten quid breakfast that didn't have eggs or toast!

Appreciate the club want to make some money, but a forty quid a head menu just smacks of the short sighted pub landlord who tries to charge his regulars for a ticket on New Years Eve and then gets narked when his pub is quiet during the week for the next 3 months.

With the highly questionable service (sometimes great, sometimes shocking) in the sports bar, I hope the club have thought this through.

Does make me question if the club have appreciated the spend of many over the last couple of years.

@Mkelly be interested in how the forty quid figure was arrived at.

22 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Given some of the other offers they've done recently, this one does seem to be taking the Mick somewhat.

I've only just got over the ten quid breakfast that didn't have eggs or toast!

Appreciate the club want to make some money, but a forty quid a head menu just smacks of the short sighted pub landlord who tries to charge his regulars for a ticket on New Years Eve and then gets narked when his pub is quiet during the week for the next 3 months.

With the highly questionable service (sometimes great, sometimes shocking) in the sports bar, I hope the club have thought this through.

Does make me question if the club have appreciated the spend of many over the last couple of years.

@Mkelly be interested in how the forty quid figure was arrived at.

£40 is very steep, especially given the amounts of money that will be ringing through the till from the corporate tables (which have rightly been priced to maximise profit from those who can most afford it) 

That said, I've not even had the email from the club about this "special offer" ! 

Just now, CyderInACan said:

£40 is very steep, especially given the amounts of money that will be ringing through the till from the corporate tables (which have rightly been priced to maximise profit from those who can most afford it) 

That said, I've not even had the email from the club about this "special offer" ! 

Me neither, but no reason to doubt the original poster.

Maybe we are the undesirable types they want to keep away.

3 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Fake news! The Clove is bloody magnificent! 

Been there thrice in recent years. 

1st time the service was so appalling, despite the almost completely empty restaurant, that I thought we’d actually been abandoned at one point!

2nd time much the same despite being busier, we were in there for something like 3 hours just to have two courses, it was bordering on the ridiculous. 

3rd time for a family meal....they completely forgot to cook what my fiancée ordered and then when they did whip it up, it was so disgusting that she couldn’t eat it - what little she did eat made her very sick overnight. It smelled like if you’d left raw chicken in a car for three days. In the Sahara. 

As a public service announcement - there’s a relatively new place opened up near me (BS30) called Mughal Palace and it’s probably the best Indian takeaway I’ve ever had, certainly since before Sagar changed ownership many many moons ago! I think it’s a sit down restaurant as well. 

17 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Been there thrice in recent years. 

1st time the service was so appalling, despite the almost completely empty restaurant, that I thought we’d actually been abandoned at one point!

2nd time much the same despite being busier, we were in there for something like 3 hours just to have two courses, it was bordering on the ridiculous. 

3rd time for a family meal....they completely forgot to cook what my fiancée ordered and then when they did whip it up, it was so disgusting that she couldn’t eat it - what little she did eat made her very sick overnight. It smelled like if you’d left raw chicken in a car for three days. In the Sahara. 

Used it loads since it opened both as a dine-in customer and for a takeaway too. Most recently we were there on the Friday of the QF draw of the League Cup (what an afternoon that was eh) and it was up to it's usual high standard. Tasty food, big portions, nice Bangla beer and ready with a foil container at the end for you take home any leftovers. Job's a good 'un if you ask me. 

15 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Used it loads since it opened both as a dine-in customer and for a takeaway too. Most recently we were there on the Friday of the QF draw of the League Cup (what an afternoon that was eh) and it was up to it's usual high standard. Tasty food, big portions, nice Bangla beer and ready with a foil container at the end for you take home any leftovers. Job's a good 'un if you ask me. 

I must have been considerably unlucky with the visits I’ve made....put me off for life!

Archived