Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

CyderInACan

It all kicked off in Bristol (Merged)

Saw a tweet suggesting that a book chronicling the expliots of the CSF was soon to be published. Surely a wind up? Whilst the cover correctly depicts our brave warrior wearing the standard issue uniform, the spelling hopefully points to an early April fool. The mind boggles if this, however, indeed "a thing". 

Anyone any info? 

image.jpeg

The alleged "author" of this alleged book is allegedly known for Footie Issues (from L.W I think) - but me thinks maybe a tad young for the "real" CSF

(no intention to defame or categorize anyone was made in replying to this post!)

3 minutes ago, Markman said:

The alleged "author" of this alleged book is allegedly known for Footie Issues (from L.W I think) - but me thinks maybe a tad young for the "real" CSF

(no intention to defame or categorize anyone was made in replying to this post!)

I hope he's better at fighting at football than grammar.

The first sentence- such as it is- on the (awful) image above doesn't bode well for the rest of the tome does it?!

• Like 7

If anyone releases a book based on any subject, with the title spelt wrongly, it doesn't leave much hope for the rest of the content and surely makes a bit of a laughing stock of those involved. 

Unless you are Rovers, of course. They would be very "prowed" of the author. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

I suppose it could be a warts and all account of working in the City Sandwich Factory. 

Indeed it could.

It's still spelt wrongly though..!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Malaggro is back said:

Nice Adidas SL 72's.

My views on firms/hooliganism are known on here well enough and I'm sticking to my vow to not get involved in arguments about it any more but the one thing I really don't get is the obsession with trainers. Are Adidas SL 72's a particularly rare one or something? What makes one better than another?

• Like 1

Just to put a few things straight. The author  is from south of the cut and is most certainly of an age to be able to comment on the goings on from the early/mid 1980's. As for the spelling I believe that the book hasn't gone to print yet so i'd imagine someone will be looking over it for such things.

I hope its a success because I have heard a lot of hard work has gone into it by the author but doubt if many on otib will buy it which is fair enough and understandable.

• Like 14
  • Rubbish 1

9 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Just to put a few things straight. The author  is from south of the cut and is most certainly of an age to be able to comment on the goings on from the early/mid 1980's. As for the spelling I believe that the book hasn't gone to print yet so i'd imagine someone will be looking over it for such things.

I hope its a success because I have heard a lot of hard work has gone into it by the author but doubt if many on otib will buy it which is fair enough and understandable.

It's a shame that the hard work didn't extend to the book title. 

Surely that would have been sensible to check before advertising it.

That said, if they have a publisher and a print release as well as distributor there must be some interesting content, most first time authors these days seem to self publish digitally.

• Like 2

I believe it is all lined up Rob and I think the advertising was "unofficial" eg just amongst friends etc on Facebook.

I can't believe a publisher would let anything go out without going through it but what do I know !

1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

My views on firms/hooliganism are known on here well enough and I'm sticking to my vow to not get involved in arguments about it any more but the one thing I really don't get is the obsession with trainers. Are Adidas SL 72's a particularly rare one or something? What makes one better than another?

It's just the fashion that's associated with this particular sub-culture. Mobs wanted to be the 'best dressed' as well as the toughest.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Loon plage said:

I'm sure the hard work involved refers only to the writing of the book; not the illegal activities he will no doubt seek to glorify in same. 

14 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

I'm sure the hard work involved refers only to the writing of the book; not the illegal activities he will no doubt seek to glorify in same. 

Dunno what will be in the book but I wouldn't be too outraged about the likely content because it is clearly not representative of the vast majority of Bristol City supporters and will only be read by people interested in such things.

• Like 1

Tis a bit like marmite, love or loath it's there ( or was) it's a culture that many won't understand, and quite possibly many won't believe, I danced on the fringes and that scared the shit out of me, that's all ...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Loon plage said:

According to a link on fb the books being released in two weeks! Looks like the spelling mistake is staying!

15 minutes ago, Reddie The Eagle Edwards said:

According to a link on fb the books being released in two weeks! Looks like the spelling mistake is staying!

A shame if so. I did see the author refer to proof reading on fb but maybe not.

Actually whether you agree or not, there is a story to be told,  and this guy is in a position to tell it as he is well known to some of us on this forum. Infact whether you agree or disagree, the CSF are a well known part of BCFC in many football circles.  In my opinion,  let the man write the book and publish it,  Joe public can read it,  and then comment on it. Infact fair play to him in finding a publisher.

But don't comment until you know the facts and read it.  It will probably sale well.

From old school CSF 1984 

• Like 15
  • Rubbish 1

I've never been a football hooligan, but after experiencing Corinthian Casuals, Battle of Elm Park, Millwall etc, I don't mind admitting I used to enjoy the buzz. I'll buy a copy. 

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, Sixtyseconds said:

Always thought the real old skool chaps didn't want their past published.

I believe some old school asked for their names to be kept out which was respected (just what I was told). In hooligan terms the 80s and 90s are very different from the old school 70s which was much more dangerous for the innocent non violent fan.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

I believe some old school asked for their names to be kept out which was respected (just what I was told). In hooligan terms the 80s and 90s are very different from the old school 70s which was much more dangerous for the innocent non violent fan.

Very true. A lot more collateral damage in the 70s if you were in the wrong place at the wrong time. it was much more organised in the 80s and 90s and innocent fans/scarfers were mostly safe (apart from the few firms that didn`t abide by the `rules` - Millwall for instance).

It is a story that is worth telling though.

• Like 2

Stand out error. Maybe the publisher did it deliberately. A real collectors item! Can't be that many published books with a mistake in the first word of the title. I can see the queues outside Waterstones now.

Will be an interesting read. Just a pity it doesn't cover the era when we were up there with the best. 

Good luck to the fellow. 

16 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

It happened, hopefully it will be factual and not like some of the bullshit books on the same subject.

Personally, I can't wait to read it.

This is why if factual it will be a good read as we did come unstuck a few times, but in the mid/late 80's, the CSF were a serious firm and anyone who does not acknowledge this is not being honest with themselves. Anyone who went to BCFC away games will know this. 

Yes we all know about Reading away, Old Den away, Forest away, Corinthians etc, but I also hope games such as Bradford away at Valley Parade,  Boro away at Ayrsome Park (the home game before it), and others get published also, which were some of the top games I ever went to. In the 80's, football away was a dangerous game.

But Lumber is in a position to write the book. Just hope it is honest.  

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

It happened, hopefully it will be factual and not like some of the bullshit books on the same subject.

Personally, I can't wait to read it.

Agreed, it happened and to some degree it still is, that said I had some mad moments back in the seventies and early eighties, not prowed, it just was just what we did, sorry if it makes some people gag on their prawn sarnies, but tie a silk scarf round my wrist now and I'll give it a good go....is a zimmer classed as an offensive weapon ? Take care people

• Like 3

Paul is a very straightforward man. Not everyones cup of tea because he doesn't make a noise and picks his friends carefully as I recall. I have heard that its not just about football and it will be warts and all because that group of young men did come unstuck on the odd occasion but we will see

• Like 3

I still love the smell of wrigleys and brute with a touch of sheepskin....how I really crave for the old terraces, proper Saturday's with proper fans, we were free range then.....now it's battery fans, sit in yer allocated seat and keep shtum....

• Like 15

7 minutes ago, Tall King Blox said:

I still love the smell of wrigleys and brute with a touch of sheepskin....how I really crave for the old terraces, proper Saturday's with proper fans, we were free range then.....now it's battery fans, sit in yer allocated seat and keep shtum....

I miss cigar smoke on a boxing day. Thats more 60s maybe.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

This thread makes me realise just how false football is nowadays.  I still go down but it ain't like it used to be. 

Not in the biblical sense I trust !!!

8 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

This thread makes me realise just how false football is nowadays.  I still go down but it ain't like it used to be. 

Of course it isn't mate but thats a reflection of society. And anyway why shouldn't someone be able to take their kids or grandparent to a match without the stress of a row happening around you. FV is pretty much over here but I do think it has gone too far the other way but I still reserve the right to call opposing fans and  the referee (but not the Dolman) *****

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Of course it isn't mate but thats a reflection of society. And anyway why shouldn't someone be able to take their kids or grandparent to a match without the stress of a row happening around you. FV is pretty much over here but I do think it has gone too far the other way but I still reserve the right to call opposing fans and  the referee (but not the Dolman) *****

Sadly for me I cannot get to grips with all seater stadiums, Tis just me I'm sorry to say, love the new build and all that's happening at the gate but it don't float my boat, dinosaurs still roam the earth, or at least in BS3 on matchdays, hearing the roar as a goal goes in buzzes me out.....still !

Edited by Tall King Blox
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Tall King Blox said:

Sadly for me I cannot get to grips with all seater stadiums, Tis just me I'm sorry to say, love the new build and all that's happening at the gate but it don't float my boat, dinosaurs still roam the earth, or at least in BS3 on matchdays, hearing the roar of a goal going in buzzes me out.....still !

Atyeo. You can stand - much to the disdain of some others in the ground (not all) not like back in the day but im grateful that the club tolerates it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Atyeo. You can stand - much to the disdain of some others in the ground (not all) not like back in the day but im grateful that the club tolerates it.

Understand your comment fully, old dog and all that, support our club as best you can sat or stood or waving flags, I think the effort made by section 82 is brilliant and must really  piss off the powers that be, we will never go away ( apart from me) support from all angles is paramount !!! Keep the red flag flying ! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Am I the only one who thinks it's repulsive to like the pockets of thugs/hooligans by buying their 'story' ?

Are you going to buy it ??