IGNORED

It all kicked off in Bristol (Merged)

CyderInACan

16 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

It happened, hopefully it will be factual and not like some of the bullshit books on the same subject.

Personally, I can't wait to read it.

This is why if factual it will be a good read as we did come unstuck a few times, but in the mid/late 80's, the CSF were a serious firm and anyone who does not acknowledge this is not being honest with themselves. Anyone who went to BCFC away games will know this. 

Yes we all know about Reading away, Old Den away, Forest away, Corinthians etc, but I also hope games such as Bradford away at Valley Parade,  Boro away at Ayrsome Park (the home game before it), and others get published also, which were some of the top games I ever went to. In the 80's, football away was a dangerous game.

But Lumber is in a position to write the book. Just hope it is honest.  

14 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

It happened, hopefully it will be factual and not like some of the bullshit books on the same subject.

Personally, I can't wait to read it.

Agreed, it happened and to some degree it still is, that said I had some mad moments back in the seventies and early eighties, not prowed, it just was just what we did, sorry if it makes some people gag on their prawn sarnies, but tie a silk scarf round my wrist now and I'll give it a good go....is a zimmer classed as an offensive weapon ? Take care people

Paul is a very straightforward man. Not everyones cup of tea because he doesn't make a noise and picks his friends carefully as I recall. I have heard that its not just about football and it will be warts and all because that group of young men did come unstuck on the odd occasion but we will see

7 minutes ago, Tall King Blox said:

I still love the smell of wrigleys and brute with a touch of sheepskin....how I really crave for the old terraces, proper Saturday's with proper fans, we were free range then.....now it's battery fans, sit in yer allocated seat and keep shtum....

I miss cigar smoke on a boxing day. Thats more 60s maybe.

8 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

This thread makes me realise just how false football is nowadays.  I still go down but it ain't like it used to be. 

Of course it isn't mate but thats a reflection of society. And anyway why shouldn't someone be able to take their kids or grandparent to a match without the stress of a row happening around you. FV is pretty much over here but I do think it has gone too far the other way but I still reserve the right to call opposing fans and  the referee (but not the Dolman) *****

26 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Of course it isn't mate but thats a reflection of society. And anyway why shouldn't someone be able to take their kids or grandparent to a match without the stress of a row happening around you. FV is pretty much over here but I do think it has gone too far the other way but I still reserve the right to call opposing fans and  the referee (but not the Dolman) *****

Sadly for me I cannot get to grips with all seater stadiums, Tis just me I'm sorry to say, love the new build and all that's happening at the gate but it don't float my boat, dinosaurs still roam the earth, or at least in BS3 on matchdays, hearing the roar as a goal goes in buzzes me out.....still !

14 minutes ago, Tall King Blox said:

Sadly for me I cannot get to grips with all seater stadiums, Tis just me I'm sorry to say, love the new build and all that's happening at the gate but it don't float my boat, dinosaurs still roam the earth, or at least in BS3 on matchdays, hearing the roar of a goal going in buzzes me out.....still !

Atyeo. You can stand - much to the disdain of some others in the ground (not all) not like back in the day but im grateful that the club tolerates it.

2 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Atyeo. You can stand - much to the disdain of some others in the ground (not all) not like back in the day but im grateful that the club tolerates it.

Understand your comment fully, old dog and all that, support our club as best you can sat or stood or waving flags, I think the effort made by section 82 is brilliant and must really  piss off the powers that be, we will never go away ( apart from me) support from all angles is paramount !!! Keep the red flag flying ! 

To each his or her own. I will buy it because i'm curious to see how someone like him saw things. People line the pockets of a war monger like Tony Blair by buying books or attending an event hes hosting and it doesn't mean they support him. If people dont want to read it then fine but actually there is a market for books like this and an authentic "lad" who is known outside of Bristol will be of wider interest than some may imagine. I for one hope he makes a few bob out of it but above all for anyone to have had a book published is a feat beyond the majority of us on here and for someone who isn't exactly an academic  is a fantastic achievement. Well done Paul Lumber.

1 hour ago, Tall King Blox said:

I still love the smell of wrigleys and brute with a touch of sheepskin....how I really crave for the old terraces, proper Saturday's with proper fans, we were free range then.....now it's battery fans, sit in yer allocated seat and keep shtum....

Ah, I loved my sheepskin ( not a cheap-skin). I believe it's still up in my loft somewhere !

edit

50 ****** squid, back in the day.

Young men will always look for a cause to believe in.  For some it was following their team with their mates and 'representing' their club.  

Not something I was involved in but each to their own. I don't condone it or condemn it.  Part of social (maybe anti-social) history and deserves to be documented. 

14 minutes ago, Red Army Faction said:

Young men will always look for a cause to believe in.  For some it was following their team with their mates and 'representing' their club.  

Not something I was involved in but each to their own. I don't condone it or condemn it.  Part of social (maybe anti-social) history and deserves to be documented. 

11 hours ago, Moor2Sea said:

Stand out error. Maybe the publisher did it deliberately. A real collectors item! Can't be that many published books with a mistake in the first word of the title. I can see the queues outside Waterstones now.

Will be an interesting read. Just a pity it doesn't cover the era when we were up there with the best. 

Good luck to the fellow. 

Well, Inglourious Basterds didn't do too shabbily did it?

Archived