IGNORED

It all kicked off in Bristol (Merged)

CyderInACan

12 minutes ago, RedM said:

I've no idea, at a guess it's almost back to the stoneage /tribal thing. Proud (prowed) of where you come from and want to be TopDog perhaps. Beat up another 'tribe' and show of strength. 

It actually goes way deeper than that...it often reflects things that have or haven't happened in their lives growing up.

Often from broken and abusive families or not feeling loved. Many find the bond of a 'brotherhood' gives them that 'wanted and belonging and loved' feeling that they have missed.

It feels for some like they are fighting for their family.

As often the case in society....the abused becomes an abuser.

It's a deep study of how the brain works and what certain people find to replace what they've lost or had done to them.

Not everyone of course...but there is an underlying link to it.

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

It actually goes way deeper than that...it often reflects things that have or haven't happened in their lives growing up.

Often from broken and abusive families or not feeling loved. Many find the bond of a 'brotherhood' gives them that 'wanted and belonging and loved' feeling that they have missed.

It feels for some like they are fighting for their family.

As often the case in society....the abused becomes an abuser.

It's a deep study of how the brain works and what certain people find to replace what they've lost or had done to them.

Not everyone of course...but there is an underlying link to it.

Fight me then

If you don't understand it then you never will but to answer your honestly. Men will always fight other men weather at football or not, Mods and Rockers, Skinheads and Punks you can go on and on, Being a casual and belong to a firm was special, your mates you would die for and a clubs name and manner you would defend, you had a purpose in life as far as I'm concerned if we didn't have football and a firm to belong to then you had **** all, it's the way it was, we weren't going out smashing little old lady's over the head and nicking there pension money, we were fighting like minded people, we were all there for the same reason and ok there's the buzz and the adrenaline but for me I enjoyed kicking people's heads in why would I stop something I enjoyed doing 

4 minutes ago, Paul Lumber said:

If you don't understand it then you never will but to answer your honestly. Men will always fight other men weather at football or not, Mods and Rockers, Skinheads and Punks you can go on and on, Being a casual and belong to a firm was special, your mates you would die for and a clubs name and manner you would defend, you had a purpose in life as far as I'm concerned if we didn't have football and a firm to belong to then you had **** all, it's the way it was, we weren't going out smashing little old lady's over the head and nicking there pension money, we were fighting like minded people, we were all there for the same reason and ok there's the buzz and the adrenaline but for me I enjoyed kicking people's heads in why would I stop something I enjoyed doing 

You could stop, I suppose, by finding "purpose in life" in some other way, like the majority of men that go to football.

Why did your life lack "purpose"? Or "meaning." 

1 minute ago, Jack Dawe said:

You could stop, I suppose, by finding "purpose in life" in some other way, like the majority of men that go to football.

Why did your life lack "purpose"? Or "meaning." 

Or we can accept each to their own.

1 hour ago, Paul Lumber said:

What ever your view the book 'It all kicked off in Bristol' has now been published and is now on sale, and many on this forum would have either read it in paperback or through Kindle and after doing so will have there opinions and views, along with those who will be critical by a book of this nature, what ever your opinion is the fact of the matter is Bristol city football club have an hooligan eliment attached to it as have 90 other clubs (excluding the gas) it is part of Bristol City history.

What ever your views if you feel you have any questions on the book or anything else related to its content then feel free to ask

I'd be interested to know a bit more about your route to getting it published - I've published a couple of books myself and did it all solo after my agent couldn't secure me the lucrative book deal I was hoping for! 

Unfortunately I only sold about 150 copies, so failed in my ambition!  Have you done this all solo, or have you had an agent / publishers help?

I become a football hooligan because I wanted to be, not because I was from a broken home, that's the sort of comment people who will never understand will make, usually people who wonted to be apart of it but couldn't fit in, within any firm there are like minded individuals from all walks of like, race and political views.

As for you can't see why men fight, men will always fight for something they believe in and not just at football.

19 minutes ago, BCFC J said:

Christ, grow up Ben. They weren't targeting innocent people, only others that were up for the same thing.

I’m not privy to any official stats or owt but I’m pretty sure it’s fair to say that, over the years, plenty* of innocent bystanders

unconnected with organised violence or even football itself will have been injured as a result of this nonsense. 

*something of an understatement I’d expect  

There is a quite at the beginning of the “City Psychos” book by Shaun Tordoff which is something like “for those who know no explanation is necessary, for those who don’t no explanation is possible.”

You either get it (normally based on experience) or you don’t. If you don’t, then you would perceive football hooligans as mindless thugs who tarnish the names of the clubs they support, which is an opinion you are entitled to. If you do get it, you can see “lads” for what they are and understand their reasons.

I know a lot of the names and aliases mentioned in the book. A significant proportion of them are “salt of the earth” guys who would have the back of any BCFC supporter if needed.

• Admin

Am in the process of reading the book and agree it is a really good book to read, hats off to @Paul Lumber for taking the time to write it and get it published

Have read many football related books over the years so it is nice to actually read one based on our side

Agree with the comment above it is either one of those things you understand, or you simply won't

Whilst I know some of the names mentioned in the book, I have never been part of this scene, but also recognise if it wasn't for these lads there were occasions more of us would have been involved so am thankful they had the balls to stand up against opposition supporters

2 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

I’m not privy to any official stats or owt but I’m pretty sure it’s fair to say that, over the years, plenty* of innocent bystanders

unconnected with organised violence or even football itself will have been injured as a result of this nonsense. 

As well as creating an intimidating atmosphere for other fans, including children, and local residents.  Anyone who suggests that football violence was just a bit of fun that only impacted on the willing participants is either being shockingly naive or deliberately disingenuous.  Apart from the way it ruined the name of football for a while (and still does occasionally), it threatened safety, security and general wellbeing of football fans.  It has cost lives on one or more notable occasion.  Doesn't anyone remember the Heysel tragedy?  That was a direct result of crowd trouble.    I've never been involved in football violence but I've had to run for it on several occasions, as well as feeling threatened and intimidated though no involvement of my own.  Sorry, but the attitude to this from some posters is, IMHO, shocking.

34 minutes ago, BCFC J said:

Christ, grow up Ben. They weren't targeting innocent people, only others that were up for the same thing.

The one who needs to grow up is the one who said “I enjoy kicking people’s heads in”.

That says it all to the vast majority who think he is nuts.

49 minutes ago, Paul Lumber said:

Isn't that just an excuse people use to justify acting like a dick?

I mean I’m a man and I don’t fight other men. Maybe it’s just me but I can’t ever imagine what sort of life leads to ever enjoying ‘kicking someone’s head in’ :blink:

Most lads who were called up in the Falklands war, Afghanistan had connection with football firms before they were sent off to fight, one minute there called football hooligans and thugs then when they come back from conflict those same people who don't understand it all the sudden want to stick a medal on there chest, you could go on and on and like I've said if you don't understand it then you never will, but then you would understand very quickly if a load of Millwall come running into the stand and stated to put it about you and our firm come to the rescue and saved you from a kicking, we would be defending you would that be so hard to understand then.

Football hooligans are apart of any clubs history, it's a fact of life.

6 minutes ago, Paul Lumber said:

Most lads who were called up in the Falklands war, Afghanistan had connection with football firms before they were sent off to fight, one minute there called football hooligans and thugs then when they come back from conflict those same people who don't understand it all the sudden want to stick a medal on there chest, you could go on and on and like I've said if you don't understand it then you never will, but then you would understand very quickly if a load of Millwall come running into the stand and stated to put it about you and our firm come to the rescue and saved you from a kicking, we would be defending you would that be so hard to understand then.

Firmly where they belong!

14 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

That could be one reason why Paul would stop doing this thing he enjoys. The impact on other people. The realisation that his "enjoyment" is not the only thing that counts in this world.

5 minutes ago, Leveller said:

The one who needs to grow up is the one who said “I enjoy kicking people’s heads in”.

That says it all to the vast majority who think he is nuts.

This might be another reason "why." The thing we all put off, growing up. That Paul gets to the point in his life where fighting at football is insufficient "purpose" for his life. Or any life. That there could be more to life than this. 

5 minutes ago, Paul Lumber said:

The "rescuer" thing is interesting. You see yourself as "protecting" us, the wider Bristol City family? Protecting your clan/tribe.

8 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I mean I’m a man and I don’t fight other men. Maybe it’s just me but I can’t ever imagine what sort of life leads to ever enjoying ‘kicking someone’s head in’ :blink:

Paul has suggested one possible answer to this, in post #10, a life lacking "purpose"

34 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

And still are Cyder!

No standing......... no drinking within sight of the ground..........treated like animals week in week out.........not allowed to sell or give away tickets...........etc, ect. 

I really dont need to go on; all this so a small minority can get their "kicks".

Each to their own......yeh ok!!

5 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

It's a hard sensation to describe unless you're involved.

Not a football hooligan but am an amateur boxer. I love bouts and sparring. The adrenaline, the violence, pride and the great feeling afterwards. Completely understand how some hoolies enjoy it. When you say 'punching people in the face' or 'kicking peoples heads in' yeah it seems strange to read it like that, but it's true, very weird but great feeling.

Again, not for everyone, courses for horses I say. World would be boring if everyone were the same.

11 minutes ago, Paul Lumber said:

Most lads who were called up in the Falklands war, Afghanistan had connection with football firms before they were sent off to fight,

Anyone called upon to fight in the Falklands War was already a serving member of HM Forces though, so I'd imagine they had better things to do than go around "kicking people's heads in" whilst serving their country. 

17 minutes ago, Paul Lumber said:

But you said in a previous post that it was like minded people fighting so why would we worry about you saving us from Millwall fans if we are not up for a fight?

2 minutes ago, SARJ said:

It's a hard sensation to describe unless you're involved.

Not a football hooligan but am an amateur boxer. I love bouts and sparring. The adrenaline, the violence, pride and the great feeling afterwards. Completely understand how some hoolies enjoy it. When you say 'punching people in the face' or 'kicking peoples heads in' yeah it seems strange to read it like that, but it's true, very weird but great feeling.

Again, not for everyone, courses for horses I say. World would be boring if everyone were the same.

HUGE difference. 

If you're in a bout, controlled by strict rules in a controlled environment, then the two of you can, quite frankly, kick the living shit out of each other. 

If you're outside a football ground, drunk, sober, on drugs, and you take a dislike to someone who simply happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and you embark on a polite spot of kicking their head in, then it's a different kettle of whassnames altogether. 

Violence breeds violence. You simply cannot defend an enjoyment of head-kicking-in because of the colour scarf you wear

19 minutes ago, Paul Lumber said:

Most lads who were called up in the Falklands war, Afghanistan had connection with football firms before they were sent off to fight.

I'm intrigued to see the evidence of this. Seems very far fetched and bordering on the bloody slanderous to me!

Arguments suiting agendas would be my inclination.

Just now, CyderInACan said:

HUGE difference. 

If you're in a bout, controlled by strict rules in a controlled environment, then the two of you can, quite frankly, kick the living shit out of each other. 

If you're outside a football ground, drunk, sober, on drugs, and you take a dislike to someone who simply happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and you embark on a polite spot of kicking their head in, then it's a different kettle of whassnames altogether. 

Violence breeds violence. You simply cannot defend an enjoyment of head-kicking-in because of the colour scarf you wear

Apparently if you wear a scarf then you aren't in any danger. 

If you sport overpriced knitwear then you are asking for it.

Archived