IGNORED

It all kicked off in Bristol (Merged)

CyderInACan

6 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I'm guessing you mean H&S , I believe H&E (or Health and Efficiency ) was a completely unrelated magazine , at least that's what I was told.

51OZ9cHQqLL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Guilty as charged.

Too young (and too short) to obtain those top shelf magazines, I seem to recall that H&E was my educational supplement at that time. 

5 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

The fences at the Leppings Lane end that prevented people escaping the crush by going on to the pitch were there because of the pitch invasions in the previous 20 years that so often resulted in pitched battles. They weren't there due to the local abundance of steel. I wouldn't have thought.

There were fences at every ground at the time, 95 people died at Hillsborough, not due to fencing. If it was, then why not the same scenario at other grounds during that period?.

As has been proved time and time again ( to the idiots who believed the original lies and smears) the fault lay with the incompetence of the match controller and certain other individuals at the ground, plus the FA for allowing a game of that magnitude to be held there. 

The ground didn’t even have a safety certificate ffs. 

What happened at Hillsborough was shocking and could have happened at many other grounds IMO. 

What pissed me right off, was the cover up by the OB & the club, blatant lies! There was a really good documentary on TV a few years ago exposing it. As stated by Portland Bill, Hillsborough did not even have a safety certificate.

I have been to a few away grounds with Bristol City where we were quite literally trapped in the away end, packed in like sardines.

2 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

There were fences at every ground at the time, 95 people died at Hillsborough, not due to fencing. If it was, then why not the same scenario at other grounds during that period?.

As has been proved time and time again ( to the idiots who believed the original lies and smears) the fault lay with the incompetence of the match controller and certain other individuals at the ground, plus the FA for allowing a game of that magnitude to be held there. 

spot on Portland. 

3 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

If there was no fencing it wouldn’t have happened, it wasn’t the only reason but it was the one that led to the bad decisions of the  match controller to have such a devastating result.  Everything else could have still gone pear shaped but without the fencing the results would have been nowhere near as terrible.

3 minutes ago, RumRed said:

If there was no fencing it wouldn’t have happened, it wasn’t the only reason but it was the one that led to the bad decisions of the  match controller to have such a devastating result.  Everything else could have still gone pear shaped but without the fencing the results would have been nowhere near as terrible.

The bent crooks were “Hillsborough match commander David Duckenfield, former chief constable Sir Norman Bettison ... solicitor Peter Metcalf, and are all charged with doing acts with intent to pervert the course of justice”.

6 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

The bent crooks were “Hillsborough match commander David Duckenfield, former chief constable Sir Norman Bettison ... solicitor Peter Metcalf, and are all charged with doing acts with intent to pervert the course of justice”.

I know, the whole affair was shocking.  The original point was that previous behaviours led to the general public believing their lies and the total disregard for the safety of, and justice for, football fans at that time. 

On 26/11/2017 at 20:02, BigTone said:

Came across this Rich (pardon the expression) and found it quite amusing. Just a bit of fun.

Banned words

Here are some non PC words you had better avoid as the truth often upsets!

Please use the PC alternative....

Alive Temporarily metabolically abled.
Bald Follicularly challenged
Body Odour Non discretionary fragrance
Broken Home Dysfunctional family
Caretaker Site Engineer
Clumsy Uniquely coordinated
Criminal Behaviourally challenged
Dead Living impaired
Dishonest Ethically disoriented
Drunk Chemically inconvenienced
Dustman Sanitation Engineer
Fail Achieve a deficiency
Fairy Petite airborne humanoid with mystical powers
Fat Horizontally challenged
Foreign Food Ethnic cuisine
Ghetto Economically disadvantaged area
Girlfriend Unpaid sex worker
Gossip Speedy transmission of near-factual information
Housewife Domestic Engineer
Ignorant Knowledge-based non-possessor
Illegal Aliens Undocumented Immigrants
Jailer Custodial Artist
Jungle Rain Forest
Late Rescheduled arrival time
Lazy Motivationally deficient
Lumberjack Tree Murderer
Natural Disaster Global Warming occurrence
Prostitute Sex worker
Sex change Gender reassignment
Short Vertically challenged
Shy Conversationally selective
Spendthrift Negative saver
Talkative Abundantly verbal
Tall Vertically enhanced
Trailer Park Mobile Home community
Tramp Homeless person
Ugly Cosmetically different
Unemployed Involuntarily leisured
Vagrant Nonspecifically destinationed individual
White Trash White Trash
Worst Least best
Wrong Differently logical

From my favourite comedian

On 27/11/2017 at 08:22, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ha yeah very true.

Distinti, let alone the Curva is a long way from the forcibly sanitised English game.

In the same way safe standing would be good, so too might a safe drinking zone. I recommend Dolman A and B...I know it's illegal but if it wasn't. ..

German stadia eh?  Inclined to take in a game there. Dortmund seems the obvious choice but any other recommendations?

Koln is good, but I've been told (really want to go) that St Pauli in Hamburg is the place to go. Absalute nightmare to get a ticket for mind you. 

17 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

There were indeed fences at every ground, and this was a tragedy that could have happened at any ground.

There were many causes the disaster, including everything you have listed, but the conditions that existed (i.e. fences, attitude of police and authorities towards football supporters in general) had been created by the previous 20-25 years of football hooliganism. If these conditions had not existed, there would have been no loss of life that day.

Hooliganism was not a direct cause of Hillsborough, despite the original lies and smears, but it was certainly the driving force behind creating the conditions that allowed such a tragic event to occur.

Just got to the halfway point in the book

Only shame so far is that someone City related never read it before publishing 

Mentions a City player called Shaun Penn and guessing it should be Shaun Penny

Also refers to Brian Tinnion as being a striker that benefited from Scott Murray's crosses

Otherwise a great read, especially remembering the games back in the early 80's being referred to

Just now, archie andrews said:

hes entitled to an opinion .....the same as anyone else on here all one way again......

He certainly is, and I was interested in his reasoning behind it. Is it wrong to ask someones point of view when they have made it clear they have one?

On 28/11/2017 at 12:11, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Koln is good, but I've been told (really want to go) that St Pauli in Hamburg is the place to go. Absalute nightmare to get a ticket for mind you. 

St Pauli is one of my favourite footballing experiences. Fans are very politically oriented, same with AS Livorno in Italy.

• Admin
On 26/11/2017 at 22:02, Rob k said:

I think the problem these days are mobile bloody phones, back in the day you could have a chat and a laugh without fear of anything getting back to anyone outside of your circle.

now you can’t do **** all without it being recorded and put on some media outlet. 

Terrible bloody things.  I can well remember on more than one occasion in my youth, being told the next day - you should have seen yourself last night, you were in a right state and did <insert drunken behaviour here>.  Thankfully, I could deny it ever happening as I had no memory of it and by the end of the next night, someone else was wrecked and the talk of the next days lunchtime session.....

I am so glad there are no videos, or even photos from those days........

So I'm about halfway through and I'm finding it a captivating read, although I'm finding it very difficult to agree with the Paul. I however have a question. 

In a chapter about the Gas (chapter 6 maybe), Paul mentions a gashead so terrorised by a City fan called 'Ade' that he became a vicar. Does that refer to Dave Jeal?

On ‎27‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 09:14, Loon plage said:

I dont know when you could have a beer at a city match and my first game was in 1965 . There is more football violence nowadays pretty much everywhere in europe and there is also a better match atmosphere. My point being that blaming hooliganism for the reason why you have to sit on your hands for 90 minutes is a cop out.

I thought all seater stadia came about from Hillsborough which wasnt related to hooliganism

It was pinned on the"Hooligan Problem" by the police, football authorities and politicians. Thus it was made easy to get all the legislation passed on all seated, no alcohol in sight of pitch or on coaches/trains, enforced segregation, running on to the pitch etcetera.

As we all know now Hillsborough was a massive cover up and most of the above measures were not relevant.

I'm nit denying that football had a hooligan problem but that has almost been eradicated.

On 27/11/2017 at 17:45, 1960maaan said:

I'm guessing you mean H&S , I believe H&E (or Health and Efficiency ) was a completely unrelated magazine , at least that's what I was told.

51OZ9cHQqLL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I bet you can’t open that magazine - better than pritt stick :blink:

On 11/23/2017 at 13:51, B1ackbird said:

Enjoying the book, on chapter 23 at the moment.

Being the same age as the author, I remember a lot of the games written about, the Old East end as well as the two gigs at the Locarno and the Granary, although I didn't see the Cockney rejects, it got a big write up in the EP. I had The Greatest Hits Vol 1.

I gotta say Paul Lumber certainly was dedicated.

Reading it now  as Mrs Markman bought me the book for Xmas - so many memories and plenty more to come  - it is entertaining to read about the pride of the CSF . Anyone can condemn the hooliganism and the thought of it. Many replies on here saying it is simply wrong - end of. Of course I understand that but I can also recall the sanctimonious thousands who would wail and criticise and yet as soon as something kicked off in a ground they would all watch and ignore the football and I can remember when the CSF hung a Chelsea flag they had taken over the front of the East End all 3 sides of the ground erupted into a City Chant as our Chelsea guests were being rather boisterous. Not justifying violence it was just the way it was.

As I said when this thread first started I was only ever on the periphery  as I followed City Home and away very week but I am grateful to the core CSF for saving me and my mate Pelly away against Leicester back in the day - the mentions of the Locarno and the Granary brought back a lot of good music memories as well

:laugh:

On 12/1/2017 at 15:19, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

Just got to the halfway point in the book

Only shame so far is that someone City related never read it before publishing 

Mentions a City player called Shaun Penn and guessing it should be Shaun Penny

Also refers to Brian Tinnion as being a striker that benefited from Scott Murray's crosses

Otherwise a great read, especially remembering the games back in the early 80's being referred to

there's a few errors - e.g. the rummer pub appears as rumour, i think a few of the dates are askew as well (I think in the case of the Cardiff game, by ten years!). It's also a shame a few incidents mentioned in other books aren't addressed (e.g. Everton in the cup, Stoke last game of the season, Bradford in the league cup, etc.). Nonetheless, as I've mentioned before, a really enjoyable read and highly recommended. i hope a follow-up is on the cards! 

Having fun reading the book. I was at most of the games mentioned and quite a few besides in the 70s  and when the writer was banged up at her majesty's

Not finished it yet but had some fun explaining the football culture of the past to an American lawyer recently. 

I hope the writer has enough for a follow up, although there were sections that seemed repeated and some more quotes about games from others would be fun too! Particularly from some of the sub mobs! Hope you made a little wedge @Paul Lumber

Archived