IGNORED

It all kicked off in Bristol (Merged)

CyderInACan

2 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Having fun reading the book. I was at most of the games mentioned and quite a few besides in the 70s  and when the writer was banged up at her majesty's

Not finished it yet but had some fun explaining the football culture of the past to an American lawyer recently. 

I hope the writer has enough for a follow up, although there were sections that seemed repeated and some more quotes about games from others would be fun too! Particularly from some of the sub mobs! Hope you made a little wedge @Paul Lumber

I’m thinking of writing one about the Boogie Squad

On ‎01‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 15:18, ZiderEyed said:

St Pauli is one of my favourite footballing experiences. Fans are very politically oriented, same with AS Livorno in Italy.

I agree. A full stadium at St Pauli is a sight and sound to behold. Don't forget your cut-off denim jacket and sew-on badges if you go there, mind...

5 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Started reading this book and I've got to say I lost interest in it after the first chapter.  I know its a book about football violence, and to be honest I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I wasn't expecting boasting about kicking in police dogs, kicking people in when they are down, and attacking innocent football fans even you can tell they are "scarfers". 

Can't believe I've lined this idiots pockets. 

Scum imo. 

So I can honestly say I strongly disagreed with almost all of it. However I'm also a big advocate for trying to see things from others point of view. 

I finished the book and if anything I am more opposed to football violence than I was before. Some things in the book were truly shocking and abhorrent. That said I found it a great read and I recommend you try to finish it. Even if it fills you with anger and disgust like it did for me, as I still thought it was a good read. 

I bought it and found 5-10 % interesting. The author-forgotton his name- is a complete psycho  and trys to redeem himself claiming he has retired but then says he is proud of the young uns doing what he did. As a “scarfer” I found it depressing that someone like him associates himself with our club and our sport.

29 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I wonder.

image.png.46d65fb991a0a3b48228f6727906857b.png

I agree. It's a book. Have a go at the contents have a go at the author, but ban it....Please.

The author missed some of the 70s stuff which was real hostile and before then the taunting of Cardiff with Aberfan chants.

It is what happened regardless of what some may think about the protagonists

4 minutes ago, ziderheadarmy said:

Did city fans seriously use Aberfan as a way to wind up Cardiff?

I was born after Aberfan happened but I have read up on it and using the deaths of a generation of children can’t surely be fair game?

Sadly they did. Back then there was no concept of fair game just meat heads with not a brain cell between them.

10 minutes ago, ziderheadarmy said:

I was born after Aberfan happened but I have read up on it and using the deaths of a generation of children can’t surely be fair game?

God Yeah!

There are plenty on here who will remember....Different times ZHA.

17 minutes ago, ziderheadarmy said:

Sadly yes. I remember it from when I was a youngster, had no idea what an 'Aberfan' was when I was a nipper, but remember it being a chant.

18 minutes ago, ziderheadarmy said:

On the book front I thought it was poorly written and factually incorrect in many areas.

The books I read a number of years ago by the Bristol Rovers fan were much better written and interesting.

and painted the Gas apart from their Nazi fans in a favourable light. PL was brutally honest about his activities. Get caught on the Gas side and they did worse. In that Gas book nah!!!

40 minutes ago, ziderheadarmy said:

Just dreadful, but It was a hell of a long time ago - most of the City fans involved would be pensioners by now.

The only time I remember hearing it - and it was no more than a few dozen fans chanting - was in response to Cardiff fans who were in the open bit of the East End taunting City fans about the Swiss Air Disaster.

Appalling on both sides, but no holds barred in those days for some.

8 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Just dreadful, but It was a hell of a long time ago - most of the City fans involved would be pensioners by now.

The only time I remember hearing it - and it was no more than a few dozen fans chanting - was in response to Cardiff fans who were in the open bit of the East End taunting City fans about the Swiss Air Disaster.

Appalling on both sides, but no holds barred in those days for some.

1973. Somerset Ladies from Axbridge and Cheddar, on their way to Basle.

If I am thinking of the same match, the Cardff fans included a particularly vociferous and threatening man, who was also quite fat, resulting in the inevitable chants of 'Porky': we ran in to him later by the Hen and Chicken.

I can remember the Aberfan chant back in the day. I can still remember the look on the Welsh faces across the terrace of the old Open/Park End. Things did get pretty wild back in those days.

I must confess though that as time and the years have passed I have looked back and detested myself for such actions.

7 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

1973. Somerset Ladies from Axbridge and Cheddar, on their way to Basle.

If I am thinking of the same match, the Cardff fans included a particularly vociferous and threatening man, who was also quite fat, resulting in the inevitable chants of 'Porky': we ran in to him later by the Hen and Chicken.

Plus skittles teams from Wrington and Congresbury.

I remember a very rotund Cardiff fan sat on the wall of the EE at that game, the City fans sang Humpty Dumpty at him to laughs from both sides.

2 minutes ago, ziderheadarmy said:

Terrible really and sad that you weren’t correct at all. Do you look back with embarrassment? 

Of course I do.....but as a kid surrounded by thousands of others, it didn't seem wrong at the time.

Once I knew what it referred to, I never ever joined in again.

4 minutes ago, ziderheadarmy said:

Your going to have to educate me here @Nogbad the Bad what was the “Swiss air disaster” and how and when did it effect Bristol City? 

A flight from Lulsgate crashed near Basle in 1973 killing 108 passengers, mostly from Somerset with many having connections to the Bristol area.

Archived