IGNORED

It all kicked off in Bristol (Merged)

CyderInACan

13 hours ago, ziderheadarmy said:

@RedLionLaddid you join in unaware? Would you have if you knew the reason behind the chant? 

You have to bear in mind that there were only 3 TV channels back then, just a few radio stations and most kids spent lots of time outside the house.  Even if the TV News was on, you never really listened to it, it was just a noise in the corner of the room.  Local newspapers wouldn't have reported it, just the Nationals. There was no Internet, no phones and sometimes, no electricity. Unless something happened in your neighbourhood, you probably didn't ever get to hear about it.

To most young City fans back then, it was just a Welsh name, which I'm guessing half the people chanting it, had no idea what it was all about. As far as I recall, It was never chanted at any other games than the Cardiff ones.

14 hours ago, ziderheadarmy said:

On the book front I thought it was poorly written and factually incorrect in many areas.

The books I read a number of years ago by the Bristol Rovers fan were much better written and interesting. Chris Brown is the gas head and the books from memory we’re called Bovver 

Two books, second one an update called Booted and Suited. It also however contained plenty of inaccuracies mainly surrounding the physical abilities of the main "characters" on the Gas side..

13 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

Of course I do.....but as a kid surrounded by thousands of others, it didn't seem wrong at the time.

Once I knew what it referred to, I never ever joined in again.

This is the point I don't think many of the slighter younger posters appreciate. The demographic of fan stood in the East end then was vastly different to the majority of attendees at AG now. Even with increased awareness, you see absolutely vile behaviour by young teenagers nowadays.

3 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

This is the point I don't think many of the slighter younger posters appreciate. The demographic of fan stood in the East end then was vastly different to the majority of attendees at AG now. Even with increased awareness, you see absolutely vile behaviour by young teenagers nowadays.

Is it a case of young lads being young lads?

It's always happened, and always will.

19 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

If you look at the 1970's which was when I was a teenager (10 year old to 20 year old) things got very political and you fell into certain groups by which team you supported. what bands you liked, what estate you came from, as well as the clothes you wore. You then realised you had connections with certain types of fellow fans, and in the East End, most fans were 'your' type of fan. You didn't need to be in the gang, you just had to believe you were part of the gang. Whatever the majority did, you had to follow and behave in the same manner. You couldn't truly 'belong' if you backed out.

I'm not making excuses for anything. It was just the way things were back then. However, some do choose to glorify it more than others.

42 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

You have to bear in mind that there were only 3 TV channels back then, just a few radio stations and most kids spent lots of time outside the house.  Even if the TV News was on, you never really listened to it, it was just a noise in the corner of the room.  Local newspapers wouldn't have reported it, just the Nationals. There was no Internet, no phones and sometimes, no electricity. Unless something happened in your neighbourhood, you probably didn't ever get to hear about it.

To most young City fans back then, it was just a Welsh name, which I'm guessing half the people chanting it, had no idea what it was all about. As far as I recall, It was never chanted at any other games than the Cardiff ones.

Don't buy that, Aberfan was massive news, I was a kid then too, but clearly remember the stories of the disaster. And, no, I didn't join in with that chant, thought it was disgusting then as I do as an old git now. 

11 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Yes, but more so then as the majority of under 16's at a game were unaccompanied by an adult.

This is true and being away from the steely gaze of your parents/teacher or whatever with a group of mates in such a unique atmosphere was half the attraction of going to AG as a youngster.

I don't know if I'd have ever got into City if I'd had to go with an adult chaperone and be on my best behaviour.

2 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Don't buy that, Aberfan was massive news, I was a kid then too, but clearly remember the stories of the disaster. And, no, I didn't join in with that chant, thought it was disgusting then as I do as an old git now. 

I remember seeing it on the early evening news as a 10 year old. Never forgotten it.

2 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

That's good because I'm not selling it.

I've been honest and said I didn't know what the chant was about. If you don't believe it, the problem is yours, not mine.

1 hour ago, RedLionLad said:

I was in junior school at the time, and I can assure you I was well aware of Aberfan, very likely from both national and local TV news, but also from what was then The Evening Post.

58 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

Yes, this is my experience of being a youngster in those days.

4 minutes ago, Red7 said:

Yes, this is my experience of being a youngster in those days.

The Swiss Air Disaster mentioned above happened 7 years after Aberfan and was massive local news around Bristol for a long time, yet we still have fans who know nothing about it.

When you are a kid, you don't always take these things in. Maybe we remember the event being shown on TV, but not always the name it's referred to.

1 hour ago, Grey Fox said:

Likewise - I was there too.

Even as a kid then you knew boundaries and acted accordingly, peer pressure or not. That chant crossed the line of acceptability by a very wide margin. 

59 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Even as a kid then you knew boundaries and acted accordingly, peer pressure or not. That chant crossed the line of acceptability by a very wide margin. 

So many Eastenders chanted it. The ones who started it off obviously knew what it was about, but you can't say for certain that everyone else did. Of course, it was wrong (when you look back) but it felt like everyone in the East End was singing it. You just joined in to be part of the group. Verbal insults were part and parcel of it. The rivalry back then was like tribal warfare and you used any weapon you could.

Did Cardiff chant about the Swiss Air Disaster? I don't know.........45 years have passed since then.

1 hour ago, Moor2Sea said:

certainly wouldn't witch hunt anyone who did sing about it. This was before my time, but I've got to admit to singing some pretty stupid, diabolical stuff in my youth that makes me ashamed. I'd imagine, with the benefit of the years, most who did sing about Aberfan are now horrified by their actions. That realization is the most important thing. 

29 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

certainly wouldn't witch hunt anyone who did sing about it. This was before my time, but I've got to admit to singing some pretty stupid, diabolical stuff in my youth that makes me ashamed. I'd imagine, with the benefit of the years, most who did sing about Aberfan are now horrified by their actions..

Of course  we are...........we became parents and ,in time, grand parents . Yes. I sang it without ever thinking about the implications, wouldn't even dream of doing it now !

Paul, having finished this book I must say there are a lot of profound contradictions here. You maintain an attitude that you never went for the 'scarfers', yet the very first chapter depicts you leading a brutal attack on a bunch of innocent Rovers fans who were most likely just there for the game. That is just nothing short of pathetic and a disgrace to the club. Many of your anecdotes are told in identical structures to the point where it conforms to a generic formula if 'We went to ____, found ____ and gave them a good hiding. We fought with the best!! etc etc'.

I can't help but feel there is a victim complex about you. Weirdly enough, policemen don't take kindly to known violent hooligans so why are you surprised at your treatment?  Your European tours contain particularly graphic scenes, all of which you funded by shoplifting. Did you expect a key to the best room in the British Embassy or something as a result of that behaviour?

I did enjoy some aspects, and how the book revealed a long gone element of supporter culture. I was interested by it in the same way that people slow down when they see car crashes. There are some hilarious stories in there, particularly the lock on the Tote End. I also found your story about the Stockport hooligans very funny. However most of it just gels together if you read it in one sitting to the point where it doesn't even become shocking any more.

For offering me a glimpse into a culture that existed before I was born and one that is often censored or difficult to learn about, I thank you. However, many stories really just reinforce the image of a pi**ed up sunburnt English hooligan wanting to fight for no rational reason. If there was a compliment I could think of, it's that thank god you are on this side! I hope the cost of the book goes towards helping your family and children, otherwise I can't help but feel a bit of buyers remorse on this one.

My recollection of the Aberfan shout was that I probably sang it but had absolutely no idea what it was about (only 10 at the time) I look at it now and think it’s the most shameful incident in our history and a total embarrassment, things were definitely different then and a far more violent society we were living in at the time, the chanting from both sets of fans was probably the reason there was something in the region of 130 arrests that night, the most ever at a football match at the time

44 minutes ago, harrys said:

My recollection of the Aberfan shout was that I probably sang it but had absolutely no idea what it was about (only 10 at the time) I look at it now and think it’s the most shameful incident in our history and a total embarrassment, things were definitely different then and a far more violent society we were living in at the time, the chanting from both sets of fans was probably the reason there was something in the region of 130 arrests that night, the most ever at a football match at the time

Aberfan happened in 1966. We played Cardiff at home in 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 and twice in 74. We then had two 6 year gaps until 1980 and 1986.

As the Swiss Air Disaster didn't happen until 1973, I can only assume their chants about it were in retaliation to us chanting about Aberfan.

If that was the case, even though two wrongs don't make a right, we didn't really have cause to complain.

it would be good to hear from someone older than us who knew exactly what they were chanting about.

12 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

Aberfan happened in 1966. We played Cardiff at home in 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 and twice in 74. We then had two 6 year gaps until 1980 and 1986.

As the Swiss Air Disaster didn't happen until 1973, I can only assume their chants about it were in retaliation to us chanting about Aberfan.

If that was the case, even though two wrongs don't make a right, we didn't really have cause to complain.

it would be good to hear from someone older than us who knew exactly what they were chanting about.

Yep. From recollection our lot chanted ‘Aberfan’, they then responded.... would have been the 1974 fixture, before segregation was introduced. 

The 130 arrests were related to a different match when the police closed off a street and arrested everyone in the mob who’d gone on a bit of a rampage. Think the son of one of Cardiff/Wales most famous players was arrested that night. Believe it was a bit of a meaningless Football League second leg cup tie and we’d won the first leg over at their place quite comfortably.  Few of our lot turned out thinking Cardiff wouldn’t bother making the trip for a meaningless match. 

Archived