IGNORED

It all kicked off in Bristol (Merged)

CyderInACan

5 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

It's through  proper publishing house, so you kind of think they should have proof readers for such things , you hope.

I believe - although could be wrong - that the author is currently self publicising the book (making the flyers etc.), which might explain the poor grammar.  Don't think the publisher has been involved in any of the current advertising. 

• Admin
On 7 July 2016 at 20:38, REDOXO said:

Were we not The InterCity Service Firm in those days? British Rail where are you now?

That would have been close to West Ham's name, which was one of the first to carry a recognisable name, as far as I can recall.

12 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

I believe - although could be wrong - that the author is currently self publicising the book (making the flyers etc.), which might explain the poor grammar.  Don't think the publisher has been involved in any of the current advertising. 

OK , I stand corrected , but I did think they pic we've seen was just a mock up and not the official cover,

Not all thing are bullshit? 

Sometimes pepole remember things differently 

Weymouth Red
I was trying to remember the time we went to Chelsea in the Anglo cup I have wrote wot I think I happened but wondered wot your thoughts was on that day?
Match detail: Chelsea v Bristol City
Match Date: Saturday, 2nd Aug 1975
Competition: Anglo Scottish Cup - Mini League / Round Robin
Chelsea v Bristol City
Venue: Stamford Bridge
Attendance: 7,515
Result: Lost 1 - 0

Our day started at temple meads station boarding the early train to Paddington 
For the match at Chelsea a few of us from East Bristol met up with some top boys from 
South Bristol for the game there was about filthy of us going up by train
We arrived in Paddington and took for the tube to Chelsea on the platform was a man in a suit with a suitcase and it sparked a chant of the 60s TV series from us man in a suitcase s we waited on the platform for the tube! 
no one had paid to ride the tube so as we departed at our destination a station attendant asked us for our tickets
He was Quickly pushed back into his ticket room as we jumped over the gates out of the platform  
We proceeded walking towards the ground looking for the Chelsea mob , as we passed by one of there pubs we tried to enter but they locked the doors to keep us from getting to them we moved on by now we were buzzing we found there main pub 
By the ground and went in but it was empty so we bought drinks and settled down 
Some were playing darts 
,the jukebox was on I was sat with my mates Steve and Roger just inside drinking ,
the others were by the bar playing darts , the door burst open and this big black afro one armed Chelsea fan (babs)) and mates 
Stood there and says this is our pub! You think your flash but we're flasher?
Next thing a dart lands in his hair and it goes right off 
Some of our boys jump over the bar and pick up bottles to throw some of us were behind the duke box throwing chairs by now it was just like a bar brawl in a western it seemed to go on for ages but the police arrived to brake it up we were marched out the pub in front the Chelsea mob waiting outside we were taken to outside of the open  end as we walked up to the turnstiles some Chelsea boys came towards us and said something with that a knowle lad (------). Knocked him to the ground and they all move off.
When  We got in the ground Word was spreading around the Chelsea boys wot had gone on and they were giving us Death Threats we were surrounded by them by now! Things were looking bad we had lost the game 1-0
It was our turn to run the gauntlet of the home boys who seemed to be every were outside. After an eventful exit we arrived at Paddington to get our train as we were boarding the train we came under attack from more Chelsea boys as we tried to keep them of the train eventually the train pulled out the station and we were on our way Home!
My account f the day 1975

22 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

The typo seems to have been corrected...but shouldn't the second speech mark be after the word 'More' ?

CSF.JPG

So the speech marks are in the wrong place, there is a lack of capitalisation in the publishers name and the author seems to have a reluctance to using the word 'the' in the updated information.

This bodes well.

On 22/05/2016 at 15:45, Red Right Hand said:

Why? What`s he done now?

2 hours ago, weymouth red said:

Weymouth Red
I was trying to remember the time we went to Chelsea in the Anglo cup I have wrote wot I think I happened but wondered wot your thoughts was on that day?
Chelsea v Bristol City

For the match at Chelsea a few of us from East Bristol met up with some top boys from 
We arrived in Paddington and took for the tube to Chelsea on the platform was a man in a suit with a suitcase and it sparked a chant of the 60s TV series from us man in a suitcase s we waited on the platform for the tube! 
no one had paid to ride the tube so as we departed at our destination a station attendant asked us for our tickets
He was Quickly pushed back into his ticket room as we jumped over the gates out of the platform  
We proceeded walking towards the ground looking for the Chelsea mob , as we passed by one of there pubs we tried to enter but they locked the doors to keep us from getting to them we moved on by now we were buzzing we found there main pub 
Some were playing darts 
,the jukebox was on I was sat with my mates Steve and Roger just inside drinking ,
the others were by the bar playing darts , the door burst open and this big black afro one armed Chelsea fan (babs)) and mates 
Some of our boys jump over the bar and pick up bottles to throw some of us were behind the duke box throwing chairs by now it was just like a bar brawl in a western it seemed to go on for ages but the police arrived to brake it up we were marched out the pub in front the Chelsea mob waiting outside we were taken to outside of the open  end as we walked up to the turnstiles some Chelsea boys came towards us and said something with that a knowle lad (------). Knocked him to the ground and they all move off.
When  We got in the ground Word was spreading around the Chelsea boys wot had gone on and they were giving us Death Threats we were surrounded by them by now! Things were looking bad we had lost the game 1-0
It was our turn to run the gauntlet of the home boys who seemed to be every were outside. After an eventful exit we arrived at Paddington to get our train as we were boarding the train we came under attack from more Chelsea boys as we tried to keep them of the train eventually the train pulled out the station and we were on our way Home!

I think you've pretty much nailed it made it mate,  **** me,  41 years ago!, we're probably on at least nodding terms,

you mean Rog T?

On 7/4/2016 at 12:16, REDOXO said:

Yep the match was awful! I was just thinking about it when I saw your post, horrible bobbly pitch and all that train noise. Over 30 years ago. Why do we always show our age?

19th November 1983. Cold, drizzly, overcast and gloomy day as I recall.

I remember on the way up up we were wondering if we were about to witness a record City victory.

18 months or so after that day in '82, 2nd season in Div.4, and we were still ridiculously optimistic, even though we'd yet to assemble a team to give us any real confidence.*

Showing our age? I suppose so, but those days following City were bloody memorable, even if mostly overwhelmingly disappointing!

*Thinking about it, this match took place in the 83-84 season, which finished with us getting promoted at Chester, and of all our successes since the early 70's that day was about as memorable as they come.:city:

53 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Before CSF ,I seem to remember

Divvy had a mob called "The Young Ones" ?

Certainly remember 'City Young Ones' sprayed on walls in streets around AG, followed by a year, possibly '85.

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I remember on the way up up we were wondering if we were about to witness a record City victory.

18 months or so after that day in '82, 2nd season in Div.4, and we were still ridiculously optimistic, even though we'd yet to assemble a team to give us any real confidence.*

Showing our age? I suppose so, but those days following City were bloody memorable, even if mostly overwhelmingly disappointing!

*Thinking about it, this match took place in the 83-84 season, which finished with us getting promoted at Chester, and of all our successes since the early 70's that day was about as memorable as they come.:city:

Still just about my fav away game, train turned into a special , tables in the middle of carriageways , fence only held up waiting for the whistle, TC nearly dropped from the stand !! Brilliant.

17 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Came across some more photos , so borrowed them for here ...

1970 City getting into Cardiff 1970 , and 2 more of Reading.

skinheads City.jpg

Love the clothes in this one.

reading1.jpg

reading2.jpg

I notice one of the twins in the reading photo

On Wednesday, July 06, 2016 at 22:08, Moor2Sea said:

Wonder if the Cherry Tree incident will be covered? Only wandered up there for a quiet pint!

Plymouth away? Ended 0-0?

My first ever away game this was. Can always remember being outside that pub then seeing the car show room get put though 

6 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Plymouth away? Ended 0-0?

My first ever away game this was. Can always remember being outside that pub then seeing the car show room get put though 

Was that the one the train was turned back ??

5 hours ago, weymouth red said:

Weymouth Red
Chelsea v Bristol City

Some were playing darts 

Spot on, apart from the bit about the dart.....it stuck in his forehead.....ouch !

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Funny it was grey getting to the game but I seem to remember the sun came out second half. Blimey you were optimistic I was happy with 0/0. Maggie had just moved/bought a gaff to Dulwich and the place was in the news a lot. 

Overwhelmingly poor football as well as disappointment. But it was more about supporting the team and when a little success did eventually come our way the club always conspired to bugger it up 

The early 80s era post reformation of the club for me was defined by the ex players that dropped down to play for us  the likes of Tom, Howard Pritchard, Jon Shaw et al and that goal by Hirst at Eastville, mayhem!

13 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Funny it was grey getting to the game but I seem to remember the sun came out second half. Blimey you were optimistic I was happy with 0/0. Maggie had just moved/bought a gaff to Dulwich and the place was in the news a lot. 

Overwhelmingly poor football as well as disappointment. But it was more about supporting the team and when a little success did eventually come our way the club always conspired to bugger it up 

The early 80s era post reformation of the club for me was defined by the ex players that dropped down to play for us  the likes of Tom, Howard Pritchard, Jon Shaw et al and that goal by Hirst at Eastville, mayhem!

Gary Hirst goal at Eastville,  this one I went to. It was around this time the CSF were starting to get the upper hand over the Gas. They were on the way down while City were as mentioned earlier in the thread were on the way back up. As stated, a little bit of success and us City fans latched on to it big time, after what we had gone through before as a club.

Rise of the phoenix almost because we were very nearly gone!!!

Archived