IGNORED

A source of irritation

Robbored

I always listen  to interviews from LJ, Macca and Dean Holden  but have become increasingly irritated by the repetition of the word 'group' when referring to the players.

The players are a squad, not a group ffs.............:facepalm:

I mean are they trying to be clever by changing the common football vocabulary or what?  

I find it incredibly pretentious.

38 minutes ago, spudski said:

I thought this was going to be a topic about yourself ;-)

It is, and RR uses the word pretentious to describe other people .

Pretentious, moi!!

:)

25 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Anyone ever used Original Source Mint shower gel. That is a cause of irritation if you get some in the wrong place!

Not as bad as Ralgex :shocking:

56 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I always listen  to interviews from LJ, Macca and Dean Holden  but have become increasingly irritated by the repetition of the word 'group' when referring to the players.

I mean are they trying to be clever by changing the common football vocabulary or what?  

It seems to be a fairly new thing, I've only really picked up on it in the last 18/12.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Was Jimmy Armfield pretentious when he used the word in 1999 in an obituary to Sir Alf Ramsey?

25 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

We definitely have gone ‘all management’ in the way we talk in such interviews. It is annoying I’ll grant you. 

A big media drive from the club, evident since LJ and Ashton in particular came in. There's more frequent interviews across BBC Bristol, talksport etc as well as the vocab used as you've said. I think it's all part of pushing the club toward the premier league, by increasing air time and awareness. 

What is the collective name for OTIB posters?

This time last year it would have been a mob. Other times it is a rabble.

Are we group, squad, gang, flock, gaggle?

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

I think you are right, I think that the language of football should stay routed in the past even if the english language moves forward at pace. 

From now on all interviews from the management should only use these terms. 

Custodian

Half-back 

Inside Forward

Centre Field

Goal Hanger

12th Man

Linesman

Shoulder Charge

Dribble

Chaps

Chums

The Terraces

Jumpers for Goalposts

Magic Sponge

Goal Average

1 hour ago, Cider-Head23 said:

But while were on the topic of LJ, DH & JMc addressing the media, credit to them there all very good at it. 

Not on the big screen when they're being interviewed........can't hear the question let alone the answers if you're in the Dolman.

Archived