IGNORED

Match Report: Outplayed but never outfought

Olé

I get what you’re saying @cidered abroad, and tend to agree that we are over-performing.

But last season, how many times did we think there was little between us and other middle of the table /top half workmanlike sides.  We’ve learned not to lose.  At the start of the season, I said it was about turning 5 defeats into 5 draws (5 more points) to give us a comfortable season.  Looks like we’ve turned a couple of defeats in draws (e.g. Brentford) and yesterday a defeat into a win, let alone the few draws into wins.

Perhaps we are a bit better than we think.  Plus we’ve maintained the points per game ratio with a series of injuries.  We’ve lost our £5m+ striker, who was bang in form.  A lot of other clubs would’ve seen that as disastrous.

21 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

The most significant thing you say, Davefevs, is that we've learned how not to lose, especially away from home.

Just need to be more inventive at home, to become real contenders for the top six.

Yeah, to be undefeated away from home since our first away game is amazing.

What is it won 5 drawn 4. ?

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

The most significant thing you say, Davefevs, is that we've learned how not to lose, especially away from home.

Just need to be more inventive at home, to become real contenders for the top six.

The season we came up I thought our style 352 would be suited away from home, but was not to be.  The challenge is to be inventive at home without going gung-ho, and having to chase games.  Patience from the crowd is needed too.

On 11/26/2017 at 04:11, Shtanley said:

@Olé Outrageous to give smith a 9. Better in second half but nowhere near the performance that Brownhill gave. He’d be way down on my list of performers. 

Paterson was brought on behind Reid and only went wide due to COD’s injury and imo didn’t actually stay wide a great deal. 

Woodrow doesn’t even deserve a 6, struggling to remember any of those “neat touches” you’re referring to. Deserved to go off and to give him the same rating as Reid is imo harsh on Bobby. Perhaps Reid deserved more than a 6? 

Interesting the contrast in impact from both Eliason and Paterson, Paterson moved inside a lot so perhaps that made it harder for him to get on the Ball and impact the team. 

Saw the game and tend to agree. I think Olé got a little carried away with the hysteria of the dramatic win and, understandably, gave the players a huge pat on the back which they deserved. 

But I thought that while the last 20 minutes were decent they did not make up for a dire first half where I would not have given any player more than a 6 and most a 4 or 5. Second half, admittedly, albeit the last 20, was a different story.

15 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I want us to get to the Premier but not at the end of this season because we'd need to replace too many of the squad in one go. Let's use next summer and January for that. 

£3 million for being top of the Championship or £100 million for being relegated bottom out of the Premier League and then with parachute payments for three seasons on a reducing scale of about £40 million in first season down.

Frankly, anybody who tries to make an argument, any argument, for wishing to remain in the Championship any longer than this season is batty. Sorry.

And please, have some compassion for Steve Lansdown's pocket because what you are advocating is that he keeps dipping into it.

Archived