IGNORED

We need to talk about Mags...

The Constant Rabbit

The lad made a few mistakes, but only a few - not a goal conceding type of error, but a few.

However, this is what I also saw:

A man who covered an amazing amount of miles, always pushing up, and getting back. Covering both sides of the ground to take throw-ins.

A bloke who seems to be a confidence player, as the game went on, the more comfortable he looked.

At the 55 min mark, took on, and beat 2 Hull players with 3 challenges before getting the ball to safety

75th, 76th and 82nd minute - crucial interceptions of Hull attacking balls.

Still pushing up, still running back.

If Flinty hadn't just got his boot in before HM, then Mags would have scored the first as well.

Give this bloke a good run of 5-6 matches without a horrendous fluck-up, and I think he will be back to full confidence.

He came into this game as a lot of peoples whipping boy. Give him a run of good games to get confident again and we may well have a Premiership class defender on our books.

Fair play to the lad - had to be close to MOTM

Well played HM, well played.

In his first season with us he was a regular in the first team until Wright arrived, and most people thought he was a good player. Admittedly this was at centre back, not left back, but he was consistent and didn’t make many mistakes. I feel the consistency would return if he had a regular run in the team, but a fully fit Joe Bryan is the first choice left bank, and unless Bryan has a run of bad performances Mags is likely to be selected 

Good footballer but doesn’t have the necessary traits to be a top footballer in the championship. Those traits are athleticsm and strength. Mags lacks in both. Ok athlete and not the strongest. Being a good footballer in the championship is icing on the cake but you have to be up to is physically for 40+ matches. I do not feel Mags is up to that. 

How old is Hörður?  He looks about 18 but he must be in his mid twenties and therefore not yet at his peak in footballing terms.

To me he looks a little overwhelmed at times, kinda not fully confident and that has led to the odd error but as he notches up matches he'll certainly benefit from the experience and game time. He could do with regular starts

With Bryan injured yesterday he came in at LB but LJ seems to think that JB will be fit for the Boro game so Hörður will be on the bench Im assuming. I guess he just has to accept he's second choice at LB bad CB.

Was very impressed with him at first when I saw him last season and thought how composed he looked.  This season, not so assured, but he looks better at CH than at LB even though that's where he plays for Iceland.

It does look like a confidence thing to me though and he's still young enough to improve.  Needs a bit more more muscle and needs to get a bit tougher.  Also perhaps needs to get rid of the ball more quickly when he wins it.

We must take more advantage of those long throws thoug,they are immense.  Like having a corner every time.  I reckon he could even launch one into the box from the halfway line.

14 hours ago, SX227 said:

The lad made a few mistakes, but only a few - not a goal conceding type of error, but a few.

A man who covered an amazing amount of miles, always pushing up, and getting back. Covering both sides of the ground to take throw-ins.

A bloke who seems to be a confidence player, as the game went on, the more comfortable he looked.

At the 55 min mark, took on, and beat 2 Hull players with 3 challenges before getting the ball to safety

If Flinty hadn't just got his boot in before HM, then Mags would have scored the first as well.

Give this bloke a good run of 5-6 matches without a horrendous fluck-up, and I think he will be back to full confidence.

He came into this game as a lot of peoples whipping boy. Give him a run of good games to get confident again and we may well have a Premiership class defender on our books.

I have been a massive critic of Magnussen, but he was brilliant yesterday and deserves all the credit. 

Him and Pack looked the only ones interested in first half. And in the 2nd half, mags confidence just grew. 

Massive boost if we can get Mags playing well. With O'dowdas injury, we may have to utilise Bryan at left mid, especially away from home!! 

I said a couple of weeks ago there is a very good player in there somewhere, he was ok yesterday, certainly an improvement, my problem is he appears to be too casual at times and that casualness leads to poor simple passes and having the ball nicked off of him, I believe he has yet to fully embrace the pace of the English game, you don't get too much time on the ball in the English championship and below.

5 minutes ago, ForeverRes said:

I have been a massive critic of Magnussen, but he was brilliant yesterday and deserves all the credit. 

Him and Pack looked the only ones interested in first half. And in the 2nd half, mags confidence just grew. 

Massive boost if we can get Mags playing well. With O'dowdas injury, we may have to utilise Bryan at left mid, especially away from home!! 

Pack looked more interested in getting sent off.

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Good footballer but doesn’t have the necessary traits to be a top footballer in the championship. Those traits are athleticsm and strength. Mags lacks in both. Ok athlete and not the strongest. Being a good footballer in the championship is icing on the cake but you have to be up to is physically for 40+ matches. I do not feel Mags is up to that. 

I tend to agree Joe, I think he is not aggressive enough to be a top defender in this league - but that may yet come.

Cant fault his attitude or commitment but I also agree a fit JB will always get in ahead of him at left back.

CB is a tough one for him too as if everyone was fit he is 4th choice.

Went to the game yesterday, and thought HM was great, particularly in the second half. He was obviously encouraged to get forward a bit more and definitely added value, even without taking his throw-ins into account. I think confidence plays a part in his game and it's starting to show now he's played a few times.

He was a big part of yesterday's result - anyone who saw the game would agree. Credit where it's due...

1 hour ago, ForeverRes said:

Does anyone know what or the extent of O'Dowda's  injury?

59 minutes ago, mozo said:

He can work on his strength so not worried about that in the long term. He certainly has the ability.

It is up to Magnússon then. He does not seem content with making the bench only and will continue to get some minutes when there are players out injured. Will Mags stay here and keep getting better and work his way into the team?

At 24 or so I imagine he wants to play more than he is and probably could abroad where budgets mean players brought in for a fee will play more. So I am sure he will get stronger and perhaps more agressive but will it be here? 

5 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

It is up to Magnússon then. He does not seem content with making the bench only and will continue to get some minutes when there are players out injured. Will Mags stay here and keep getting better and work his way into the team?

At 24 or so I imagine he wants to play more than he is and probably could abroad where budgets mean players brought in for a fee will play more. So I am sure he will get stronger and perhaps more agressive but will it be here? 

I'm as confused as he is, didn't get the nod on a Tuesday to replace an injured Joe but get the game yesterday. It's almost like we are going enough to encourage him to stay, but it will be just for filling in when needed, and I can't argue with that.  He does tend to mess up the simplier passes then play a blinder when everyone's hearts are in their mouths.

Whether what we can offer him here will be enough as you say, but I think he's only a season away from being a very good player but someone else might be benefiting by then, sadly.

12 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

1 minute ago, RedM said:

I'm as confused as he is, didn't get the nod on a Tuesday to replace an injured Joe but get the game yesterday. It's almost like we are going enough to encourage him to stay, but it will be just for filling in when needed, and I can't argue with that.  He does tend to mess up the simplier passes then play a blinder when everyone's hearts are in their mouths.

Whether what we can offer him here will be enough as you say, but I think he's only a season away from being a very good player but someone else might be benefiting by then, sadly.

Bearing in mind he was 7 minutes or so from leaving at the end of the summer window and his usage has not increased, I think it's safe to say LJ probably doesn't fancy him long term and he will still want to leave.

16 hours ago, SX227 said:

Nail hit firmly on head with the phrase in bold. 

At 24, he will still get better and learn the tricks of his trade.

Part of me think he could be a special player for us at some point but at the moment he isn’t. So if we are building up a young left sided defender then I personally would rather see Kelly get the minutes. Surely not at Magnússon’s level yet but would be more suited to getting minutes here and there. I mean Fulham have managed to fit a 17 year old into their squad and has approaching 50 appearances for them. As said though, Mags was a few minutes away from leaving and that is probably why Kelly has not seen more time. 

I did love Mags and he is a talent just not convinced he will make it in England in this spell. Could definitely see him going to a team abroad and excelling and even coming back to england and doing well. Just can’t see him getting enough minutes here for him to be happy. 

Archived