IGNORED

The problem with England: insight from former players

ChippenhamRed

17 minutes ago, The turtle said:

As a fan, If only one could happen,Would you prefer to see city get to the premier league this year or England win the world cup in the summer?

City to WIN the Premier League or England to win the World Cup would be an easy answer - City every time.

But just getting to the Premier League is a tougher question.  Obviously I want us to achieve that.  But winning a trophy is something that can't ever be taken away from you.  Getting to the Premier League could just mean one miserable season with hardly any points or goals.  Ask a Cardiff fan if they'd swap their one grim season in the PL for Wales winning the World Cup and I think we know what the answer would be.

25 minutes ago, The turtle said:

As a fan, If only one could happen,Would you prefer to see city get to the premier league this year or England win the world cup in the summer?

World Cup without a shadow of a doubt. The nation would party for several days straight. I holidayed in Spain in August 2010 and the Spainish were still celebrating weeks later.

I'd put it above anything City could or have achieved. Playing for your country is the highest honour, and we as fans should treat it as such. 

Just now, El Hombrecito said:

I'd love England to win the world cup, but mainly because it would be a massive nationwide party for a week.

Always City over England for me though. I spend my time and money watching City every year. I'm emotionally invested a hell of a lot more in City.

Thats it for me. I've poured an unthinkable amount of time, money, and love into City, and I'd rather see Joe Bryan do my city proud than watch Jordan Henderson swan about for millions.

1 minute ago, ZiderEyed said:

Thats it for me. I've poured an unthinkable amount of time, money, and love into City, and I'd rather see Joe Bryan do my city proud than watch Jordan Henderson swan about for millions.

But the question is England winning the WC. If that were to happen, however unlikely. I imagine Jordan Henderson would have played the tournament of his life and wouldn't have been swanning about. 

1 minute ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

But the question is England winning the WC. If that were to happen, however unlikely. I imagine Jordan Henderson would have played the tournament of his life and wouldn't have been swanning about. 

I suppose you're right there, actually. Christ there's a lot more to this than meets the eye :laughcont:

36 minutes ago, The turtle said:

Maybe winning the premier league or an fa cup is a better comparison.

6 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

I imagine that if England were to have won the World Cup, Jordan Henderson would have been nowhere near the team. I think that's more likely than him suddenly becoming a productive member of the team.

Wow! What comes across to me is three very talented players being very honest about themselves in an England situation.

It seems clear to me that the England team of their time was not a sum of the parts that it should have been with the talent available. A club side with average players with a good bonding, a will to work for everyone else, will always perform above it's level if those things are around. 

Translate that to an international side and you can see why the Germans,Brazilians, Argentinians, Italians consistently outperform England. Even Wales with only one world class player, Bale, plus a couple of others, Ramsey and Allen, were able to produce good results because they were a team and not a collection of individuals.

For further proof, look at City last season and see the difference now, because the team spirit is vastly improved.

3 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Absolutely, and they gave a few other reasons that contributed.  The rigid 442 was one.  Ferdinand seemed to be suggesting that we should have been playing with a packed midfield - a 451 or even a 352 - in order to make the most of the areas of the pitch in which we had the most talent.  He seemed to think that Sven, Capello etc had not been brave enough to stray form the 442 the England are 'supposed' to play.

Also the point about the difference in playing styles between club and country, and what the players are asked to do for each team.  At club level these guys were paying in fantastic squads.  They weren't the best player and they weren't carrying a team. They played with tons of possession and expected to win. Then England come along and they're a sked to play out of position, chasing shadows, knowing they'll concede.  The psyche is totally different, much less pleasant and much harder to win.

England are like the City of old , they have a deep down belief that they're not quite good enough and this becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

We are the whipping boys of the international top division.

On Sunday, November 26, 2017 at 09:13, ChippenhamRed said:

That’s the point though. It was an issue others have overcome to succeed but England have failed to address.

I think the real issue is that the Premier League is so intense and competitive compared to pretty much every other league in the world.

So of course there will be rivalries between these players, but more importantly I feel our players are burned out come a tournament and together this isn't a good mix.

Real and Barca etc basically play a season of friendlies. In the Premier there is 5 or 6 big clubs and then after that you get the likes of Stoke, Burnley etc and those games are just as competitive as the big games. There is jo easy games in the Premier snd that's the main issue.

43 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

I think the real issue is that the Premier League is so intense and competitive compared to pretty much every other league in the world.

So of course there will be rivalries between these players, but more importantly I feel our players are burned out come a tournament and together this isn't a good mix.

Real and Barca etc basically play a season of friendlies. In the Premier there is 5 or 6 big clubs and then after that you get the likes of Stoke, Burnley etc and those games are just as competitive as the big games. There is jo easy games in the Premier snd that's the main issue.

I agree with you in part , didn't they reduce the number of clubs in the Prem to help with this problem ? 

I would think that consistently playing competitive matches would improve the level of skill and  endurance.

How are Barcelona , Real Madrid or Celtic for example going to improve their standards if they are not pushed all the way by decent opposition ? 

Archived