IGNORED

When was the...

Alex_BCFC

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Pretty sure it was Paul Williams went in goal. Andy Comyn came on as CB and scored an own goal. Think Simpson scored a hat trick. 
We were getting absolutely mullered until the sending off, after I'm sure we even had a Jr Bent goal disallowed.

100% spot on.

Think The Chief got the winner..

20 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

On HTV we had Roger Malone commentating. 

I was living in BS2 , and the version I recorded was the Central match with Sillett and Greaves doing summary. Would have been the same footage , don't know why they would have repackaged it though.

4 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Steve Sutton was the keeper and was sent off for rugby tackling Gary Shelton I think. Was it Andy Comyn who went in goal? I think they had Paul Simpson playing too who always used to score loads against us a la Steve Bull - he may have got a couple that day too.

The chief got the winner, I can still see it nestling in the back of their net to this day.

Almost spot on, but Paul Williams went in goal when Sutton was sent off...Andy Comyn scored an own goal with his first touch after coming on as sub - that must be a first?!

7 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Steve Sutton was the keeper and was sent off for rugby tackling Gary Shelton I think. Was it Andy Comyn who went in goal? I think they had Paul Simpson playing too who always used to score loads against us a la Steve Bull - he may have got a couple that day too.

The chief got the winner, I can still see it nestling in the back of their net to this day.

Am me..................right here!  :thumbsup:

I recall jed Pitman doing an article in the local paper saying only two live matches would be allowed each Sunday

So HTV had to play second fiddle after Central/Yorkshire/Granada etc

My memory of the match was that Central decided to cover Derby County and fortunatley it was against us.

I think that Central had a lot of stick about covering a non midlands team

After that Central stuck to Midlands teams against another midlands team

although the Monnrakers were classed as a Midlands team by Central.

I think OUR first HTV live City game was against Grimsby and we won 1-0

A game I think that Yorkshire TV did not cover.

The comeback of all comebacks was Charlton at home to Huddersfield in late 1950's.

About 20 minutes to go, Huddersfield leading 1-5. Summers of Charlton led the fight back with four goals as Charlton won 7-6.

Huddersfield, I believe, still hold the League record for the highest ever losing score of six goals.

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

JP scored with an OG with his first touch after coming on as sub on his debut? I don’t recall that...who was that against? Cheers...

Apologies, it would appear I've made this same mistake before (found a thread from 2013) - it was Glenn Humphries, but for some reason I have it seared in my mind that it was JP.

18 hours ago, Vespa Red said:

Wasn't it one of the first league games we'd played on a Sunday?  Remember going up to this game on the train from London.  It was all a little tense in the train station afterwards....

I have a recollection that during the miners strike in the early 1970s we played a league match on a Sunday due to the power cuts, I think it was away at Bolton.

1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

Apologies, it would appear I've made this same mistake before (found a thread from 2013) - it was Glenn Humphries, but for some reason I have it seared in my mind that it was JP.

Rotherham away IIRC. Pender got sent off on his debut away at Tranmere. We had two players making their debuts that night, him and, I think, Carl Shutt who scored on his.

43 minutes ago, Gimme Shelton said:

My first ever game,3-1 down at halftime,then Galley hat trick I think, downhill ever since !!

Thanks for the reply GS.

I knew Galley scored ( a belter from the edge of the box ) but could't remember if he got the hat trick.

Yes didn't he chest it up and volley home,in my mind he did!

Ok just consulted my Bristol Babe book-Oct 23rd 1971,1-3 ht won 5-3 Galley2 Rooks Spiring Tainton Attendance 17772.

And then......lost the next 4 games,drew next 3,lost next 2 and scored only 3 in that time until a 1-0 win over Birmingham on new year's Day. Imagine if otib existed then- Dicks out!

2 minutes ago, Gimme Shelton said:

Yes didn't he chest it up and volley home,in my mind he did!

Ok just consulted my Bristol Babe book-Oct 23rd 1971,1-3 ht won 5-3 Galley2 Rooks Spiring Tainton Attendance 17772.

And then......lost the next 4 games,drew next 3,lost next 2 and scored only 3 in that time until a 1-0 win over Birmingham on new year's Day. Imagine if otib existed then- Dicks out!

It was something like that - IIRC the volley was almost over his shoulder so pretty spectacular.

On 26/11/2017 at 19:10, CotswoldRed said:

On HTV we had Roger Malone commentating. 

Looks like we’re bout right, Malone commentating with Sillett and Greaves in the studio. I’ve just got the game on the computer, should have it online later. Spoiler alert; Bent was not offside 

2 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Wasn't that a midweek game, played on a Tuesday afternoon due to power cuts as a result of the miners' strike?

Looked it up Phil.

23rd February 1971  - a Saturday game.

The famous Leeds cup replay win was a midweek afternoon, but that was in 1974, which is when  we had the power cuts cause by the miners strike. It was the three day week that caused Ted Heath to call the general election that year, in which he lost the conservatives overall majority seeing Harold Wilson return to Downing Street.

4 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Looked it up Phil.

23rd February 1971  - a Saturday game.

The famous Leeds cup replay win was a midweek afternoon, but that was in 1974, which is when  we had the power cuts cause by the miners strike. It was the three day week that caused Ted Heath to call the general election that year, in which he lost the conservatives overall majority seeing Harold Wilson return to Downing Street.

Then it must have been another game.

I certainly remember one midweek, daytime game during the power cuts, and seem to recall that this was also a highscoring game. 

On 27/11/2017 at 14:10, Gimme Shelton said:

My first ever game,3-1 down at halftime,then Galley hat trick I think, downhill ever since !!

It was Ray Cashley's birthday that day. At half time i read his horoscope in the paper "A good weekend for sport" That gave us something to laugh about at HT.

Another great comeback, but from only 1-0 down was on my 20th birthday. HT Rovers 1 - City 0. FT Rovers 1 - City 4.

Archived