IGNORED

SPOTY 2017

Super

Some strange choices, Harry Kane?

Sports Personality - the contenders

One of these 12 competitors will be crowned BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2017 on Sunday, 17 December.

• Elise Christie - Short Track Speed Skating
  • Sir Mo Farah - Athletics
  • Chris Froome - Cycling
  • Lewis Hamilton - F1
  • Anthony Joshua - Boxing
  • Harry Kane - Football
  • Johanna Konta - Tennis
  • Jonnie Peacock - Para-athletics
  • Adam Peaty - Swimming
  • Jonathan Rea - Motorcycling
  • Anya Shrubsole - Cricket
  • Bianca Walkden - Taekwondo

Overseas list looks like a no contest! Shocked that Nadal isn't included.

Six contenders have been shortlisted: Tom Brady (American football), Roger Federer (tennis), Katie Ledecky (swimming), Tatyana McFadden (Para-athletics), Sally Pearson (athletics) and Michael van Gerwen (darts).

8 minutes ago, Super said:

Overseas list looks like a no contest! Shocked that Nadal isn't included.

Six contenders have been shortlisted: Tom Brady (American football), Roger Federer (tennis), Katie Ledecky (swimming), Tatyana McFadden (Para-athletics), Sally Pearson (athletics) and Michael van Gerwen (darts).

Great to see proper athletes, like Brady, Fed and van Gerwen, getting recognised for their achievements.

23 hours ago, Super said:

Elise Christie - Short Track Speed Skating Bianca Walkden - Taekwondo - both minority sports so not enough votes.

• Johanna Konta - Tennis Jonnie Peacock - Para-athletics Adam Peaty - Swimming Jonathan Rea - Motorcycling - all more popular, but still not enough votes which will (IMO) reduce the list to

Sir Mo Farah - Athletics - followers of all sports may agree with Mo, especially as he's now semi retired.

• Lewis Hamilton - F1
  • Chris Froome - Cycling
  • Anthony Joshua - Boxing
  • Anya Shrubsole - Cricket
  • Harry Kane - Football and he's on the list because they "Must have a footballer".
  • a few years back British riders were world champions in three different branches of motor bikes. They were all mentioned at the start in the list of British world champions, but none were nominated for the main event. For example; Tai Woofenden had been speedway world champion despite breaking a collar bone twice in the season, but just a brief mention.

1 hour ago, RedM said:

I think the vote between Froome and Hamilton will be too close, allowing Mo to nip in and win. I’m undecided between the pair of them but Froome edges it for me for doing the almost impossible.

AJ is more popular expect he will win. 

If Sir Mo doesn't win it this year, then that is probably his last chance as he is now, effectively, retired and unlikely to compete in another Olympics or World Championship - a London marathon remains a possibility.

Unfortunately, and I have no idea what others on this forum think, but it was mooted last year or the year before that he didn't get the votes he perhaps deserved because people didn't consider he was sufficiently British. 

13 minutes ago, winterbournered said:

About time they changed the title to Sporting Achievement of The Year. 

Can't really argue with any of the nominees on a sporting achievement level but personalities.... 

Would love to have seen Jermaine Defoe on that list. Mo or Joshua for me. 

In fairness JD he has achieved very little in sporting terms however they could do another award recognising what he did for Bradley.

5 hours ago, winterbournered said:

About time they changed the title to Sporting Achievement of The Year. 

Can't really argue with any of the nominees on a sporting achievement level but personalities.... 

Would love to have seen Jermaine Defoe on that list. Mo or Joshua for me. 

You do realise a definition of 'personality' is 'a celebrity or famous person'? 

Predition 3. Kane 2. Froome 1. Joshua

Here's how you voted

Mo Farah wins BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2017

Mo Farah: 83,524 votes

Jonathan Rea: 80,567

Jonnie Peacock: 73,429

Anthony Joshua: 73,411

Adam Peaty: 63,739

Lewis Hamilton: 60,627

Chris Froome: 47,683

Harry Kane: 18,759

Anya Shrubsole: 15,237