IGNORED

Rooney goal tonight

daored

11 hours ago, El Hombrecito said:

We can agree to disagree about him as a person.

But seriously, an underrated footballer? Possibly the most overrated player of his generation. 

Aside from the DJ assault incident, I don't think I've ever read anything bad that would harm Gerrard's image or reputation. Comes across as an honest and thoroughly sound guy.

Rooney however is a serial cheat, has been caught drink driving, is often outspoken and his tweets are evidence that he's not the brightest. 

I'd say Gerrard is definitely underrated. If he had the team around him that players such as Scholes and Lampard had, then he'd have achieved a lot more. If Lampard and Scholes would have been in the teams that Gerrard was in, then would they have had the same success? No chance.

10 hours ago, MarcusX said:

The same drivel repeated by a lot of people. You'll struggle to find a top England goalscorer who didnt score a lot of goals against weaker opposition

He was injured leading into almost every major tournament, its simply unfair to hold that against him like people do. 2004 he was unplayable, and we would have probably won it had he stayed fit

Is that the best you can muster? Excuses and speculation? The only valid point you made was that he had a good tournament in 2004. One out of how many? Hardly a glittering international career especially as it lasted nearly 14 years.

7 hours ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

Aside from the DJ assault incident, I don't think I've ever read anything bad that would harm Gerrard's image or reputation. Comes across as an honest and thoroughly sound guy

What about banging in a transfer request because 100k per week wasn't enough from 'the club he loves'? 

10 hours ago, downendcity said:

:blink:

Through most of his career I suspect that the manager of every top side in Europe would have wanted Gerrard, had he been available.

I remember reading Carragher ( I think) saying that if he had wanted, Gerrard could have been Liverpool's best defender, their best full back, their best winger, or their best striker. He was a phenomenal athlete, tough and good in the air. Applying the school playground test, if you were picking teams Gerrard would likely be the player everyone would pick first.

I have little doubt that had he played i the successful sides at Chelsea or Man U he would have gone on to be regarded as one of this country's greatest ever players.

He was, however, one of the golden generation that as a group did underperform for England,

:clap:

Gerrard was a colossus for Liverpool and a decent fella to boot. For one, they would have never won the CL without him especially with that average squad.

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Yes it was with the laces, but the ball was rolling nicely onto him, with an open goal to aim at. I think most players score that. Most players miss the Beckham and Adam shots. Much harder. 

Most players do not score exceptional goals. Adam and Beckham had control of the ball and time to set themselves. Adam,  Beckham, Rooney all used different techniques. The both differing Adam and Beckham techniques are easier to perform, with all respects to Mr Adam and Beckham there will be people around Bristol Sunday leagues could generate enough distance to reach the goal, I can (just). it is possible to mishit the ball and get the distance and direction still. Rooney's? Its far harder to perform efficiently the further away from the intended target a player is, strike the ball slightly to one side and it will shank off target.

48 minutes ago, 29AR said:

What about banging in a transfer request because 100k per week wasn't enough from 'the club he loves'? 

Once a blue always a blue.....................Apart from the 10 years he was a red.

48 minutes ago, Assassin Reid said:

:clap:

Gerrard was a colossus for Liverpool and a decent fella to boot. For one, they would have never won the CL without him especially with that average squad.

Decent fella egh, ever met him?

The only time I did he came across as an arrogant, big headed individual who had little or no time for his fans (Kids!)

A well cultivated image has been developed for him, not sure he's worthy!

On 29/11/2017 at 22:34, frenchred said:

What a shit post, England's greatest ever goalscorer. 

How do you define greatest goal scorer.? I would put Jimmy Greaves as our greatest scorer with his 44 goals in 50 odd games, Lineker with 48 in 80 odd games with many of them in vital matches or Charlton with 49 goals in 100 plus games playing as a midfielder, to me all three of these were “greater” than Rooney achievment

3 hours ago, harrys said:

How do you define greatest goal scorer.? I would put Jimmy Greaves as our greatest scorer with his 44 goals in 50 odd games, Lineker with 48 in 80 odd games with many of them in vital matches or Charlton with 49 goals in 100 plus games playing as a midfielder, to me all three of these were “greater” than Rooney achievment

Hasn't Rooney scored the most competitive goals for England? 

Thought i'd read it somewhere! 

Not to gloss over Greaves and Charlton's England records but didn't they start their England careers in the day's of 2-3-5! 

Even Lineker scored a lot of goals against dross, back in the day when we would put 8 past Turkey, 4 of his were against a Malaysian XI. Didn't score in 2 European Championships. Did show up in the World Cup though.  

42 minutes ago, winterbournered said:

Hasn't Rooney scored the most competitive goals for England? 

Thought i'd read it somewhere! 

Not to gloss over Greaves and Charlton's England records but didn't they start their England careers in the day's of 2-3-5! 

Even Lineker scored a lot of goals against dross, back in the day when we would put 8 past Turkey, 4 of his were against a Malaysian XI. Didn't score in 2 European Championships. Did show up in the World Cup though.  

sssshh behave didn't you know all these players in the past scored only against top nations, did well in all tournaments and lived like Nuns? You sir, will ruin the stereotype!

Archived